Are there max. sizes published/known mob. aids of odd sizes

goofieslonglostsis

DIS Veteran
Bit of a weird title but didnt want to use a title that goes on for ever. Im wondering if there are any known/published max. size restrictions on mobility aids outside of the wellknwon and well-published 32x48 max on wdw transportation and obviously the "must fit safely within accessible ride vehicle".

Reason behind it all, were trying to figure out possibilities at our desposal if we ever do end up pulling off a bon voyage trip. Im fully bedridden and thus my powerchair isnt exactly the tiniest ;-) Rides wouldnt be on my priority list, one less thing to juggle. Transportation before and prior stay sorted out and on property can roll with main focus (for what its worth) on epcot and dhs. So far, so good. Am wondering about basically 2 other items

- are there max. restrictions for shows and if so what? Or do we need to expect to work with " make do per theater what space there is)
- possibly any general restrictions on size for mobility aids with regards to being allowed into the parks?

For those not familiar with lie flat powerchairs, one could simplified view it as a super upgraded powerchair, looking at first glance as if it were a small sized bed on wheels and gadgets and gizmos on it. Beneficial is its adaptability, where need be it can be put into a sitting position and thus have a on the spot normal poerchair turning radius. Not a feature I can or will use dozens of times a day (sitting equals overdoing it, which equals permanent decrease in physical abilities) but a feature that can make a lot accessible when a lie flat turning radius would be a no go.

Had an extensive look at the wdw site, but its eith either not on there or Im looking in the wrong places. Where and when need be Ill be hashing out these details with disney beforehand when make or break but not at that point of time yet. Ok, in all honesty.... Wdw was done after my last trip. But as a dutch saying goes "blood creeps where it cant go". I might well be its poster child. We have a beyond ambitious goal for a future wdw trip which hopefully wont be for a few years to come. Now faced with a couple of cancelled cruise vacations and very high chance of again needing to cancel a fall cruise, the itch is back with a vengance! Not much if any good cruise options left, local land not worth it, realisation I might not be able to travel until 2015, hmmm. All in all has got us pondering, could we pull of another wdw trip? So Im just doing some basic homework to have a good base level idea of feasability before getting myself excited or worse; getting others excited and dealing with a harsher crush if things couldnt be worked out.

There is a maximum wheelchair and stroller size allowed within the parks. I'm sorry I don't have the exact dimensions, but I know there are limits and there are some threads on here with the dimensions and links. Hope you can get something worked out do you can have your trip!

StitchesGr8Fan said:
There is a maximum wheelchair and stroller size allowed within the parks. I'm sorry I don't have the exact dimensions, but I know there are limits and there are some threads on here with the dimensions and links. Hope you can get something worked out do you can have your trip!

Thats what I thought to remember from the old site. However on the new can only find max strollersize and max chairsize if using busses. On bringing own wheelchair they only state that is allowed and no restriction mentioned. Under general prohibited they mention max size stroller, no 1 or 2 wheeled mobility aids allowed but again no max size.

Did contact but got different info incl some beyond silly (sizes that even a adult manual wheelchair can exceed easily), so guess Ill have to get the question uped on the chain. Fired off a few mails, lets see what that comes up with

are you able to cope with the flight if you find sitting up right difficult. Also may need to check that the planes will accept the much larger chair as i know they have restrictions on the size of EVC's. Hope you get it sorted.

mackay_j said:
are you able to cope with the flight if you find sitting up right difficult. Also may need to check that the planes will accept the much larger chair as i know they have restrictions on the size of EVC's. Hope you get it sorted.

Will not be flying but cruising in and out. Last years flew bc with lie flat seats but found the whole airport-and-all-hoopla too straining. Size itself is only a factor with ragerds to needing to fit through the planes cargo doors and/or into the container used (differs per airline and type of aircraft). If required theyll tipp an aid over onto its side to load, which obviously increases risk of damage and one wants to prevent. As long as an aid can fit through the doors, nothing will be denied due to its size. Bit offtrack perhaps but maybe helpfull for others so reckoned its worth the offtrack. In theory my chair would be peachy. It has all the standard feautures of a standard permobil c500 and can thus be put into a normal fully upright seating position. On purpose, since lie flat is a horendous fit in many locations. This way I can decide and pick. For instance, yes it is ouch and harmfull but worth it for the short moments to use an elevator onboard and having a smaller turning radius allowing me ability to cruise. Took/takes quite some work to make it all technically possible but big focus with all focussed on travel, esp cruising needing to be possible with the chair. Good thing to live in this day and age of modern science!

the cruise sounds like a great idea for you. We have booked a med cruise for next Aug and I was amazed how quick the disabled rooms were booked after the release date. Luckily we booked straight away. We are quite new to cruising we tried it 18 months ago not expecting to like it - loved it dh and I have since done a kid free one and we are booked for next aug for our first med one.

Bit of a weird title but didnt want to use a title that goes on for ever. Im wondering if there are any known/published max. size restrictions on mobility aids outside of the wellknwon and well-published 32x48 max on wdw transportation and obviously the "must fit safely within accessible ride vehicle" . . .

1) I went through every search word or phrase of which I can thing/devise on the internal sites.
2) NOTHING comes up for wheelchair max size.
3) Only . . .
. . . stroller size max
. . . wheelchair size max for bus lifts
4) These you already know.
5) I would send an email to WDW and ask them. *
6) This way, you have a reply IN WRITING.

* EMAIL TO: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I also have been searching and come up with some guidelines but nothing definite.

Buses and transportation: 30 inches wide by 48 inches long; I believe this is ADA standard. Presumably your chair is transport ready, if not you would need to decide whether your chair is built strong enough at certain spots where it could be tied down and presumably withstand a crash without buckling or bending

Doorways and other openings might be as much as 36 inches wide. I believe the ADA standards requires a minimum of 32 inches wide for a doorway and 36 inches wide for a hallway -- so it's possible if your chair is 32 inches or wider that you simply would not be able to access some areas

Ride vehicles likely follow the guidelines for transportation, and I think most theater or shows likely allow for a similiar footprint. Possibly there might be space at the back or sides of a theater where you could be reclined more, but I'm not indicating that to be true, just a possibility.

I agree that you are probably best off contacting WDW to ask about any restrictions for your specific chair.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't think you're likely to find a max size for a wheelchair listed, but it will really come down to the space allowed in shows, etc. The only amount they have to allow is the 48x32. This means that reclining/lying flat might mean you stick out into an row (which may or may not be allowed depending on how much space is between rows in a given show since if it's not enough to then leave something like 30" (not sure the exact number of inches) for people to walk through, it won't be allowed due to fire code. The roped off wheelchair areas at parades might also go by the 48x32, but I'm sure just finding yourself a spot, it wouldn't matter as long as you aren't sticking out into the road.

So I really think it's most likely to come down to not knowing until you're in a theater.

While I think contacting WDW to ask is a good idea, I don't know if the general e-mail address suggested here will have the correct information. I think you're likely to get a canned "48x32" because I doubt those handling the guest services e-mail have much more training than the call centers who handle phone calls. If you have or know someone who has contact information for someone who specifically deals with concerns relating to impairments/disability, that person is going to be your best bet. I can't remember if it's bookwormde, but there is someone who used to mention having contact info for the person actually in charge of disability access at WDW.

As a side note, airline seats that recline down to a flat bed are the only reason I can do transatlantic (coming from the US) flights these days, but like you, that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up traveling. I'm just so glad I figured out they existed, even if at a ridiculous ticket price! I'm hoping to do a transatlantic cruise at some point, as well. The idea of taking several days to change 5-6 time zones sounds heavenly. I might actually make across without needing a week in bed ;-) (I'm physically much more able to sit up than you are without true permanent damage, but the less time upright, the better.) I do think it's too bad that more people aren't aware that transatlantic airlines do generally have lie flat seats in at least first class (I've also been on a flight where business class had seats that would lie flat). It will always be only for really expensive seats, but I'm sure there are people out there who could manage the cost if they knew it was an option.

Wheeled; it is depending on your departure and arrival airport what the options are but Aer Lingus is a very affordable bc option compared to others. Not lie flat as in newest lie flat but angles lie flat, which actually works better for me. Downside; no lie flat bc on most shorthaul eu flights but thats with almost all of them. To give you an idea; Ild pay about €1500/1800 for roundtrip bc AMS-MCO where cheapest other offers would be €3000/3500. Very good hardcore and soft product, so much so they sell out many times and planning to double their bc seats. Could also deal very well with my needs that can be tricky, only airline that didnt give me 100% damage score to chair and had powerchair waiting at the gate in dublin (very much not norm at most eu airports). Dub is relatively small, so assistance knew me and remembered needs on my first trip with ae on the way back and would be same each year after.

Prices arent as easy as eco but Im glad I did it when still possible and had supportive family and friends.

Got 2 mails out using personal contacts. Hate doing that but need some facts on at least general entrance. Also got some helpfull pm's so hopefully Ill get an answer.

My gut tells me there are some options, but well see. Never used roped off firework areas so wont start. Will keep looking from just outside (resort in the epcot area). Most shows I love most might very well mean no more front line seat but fine with that. Remember locations like Beauty having a broader last row area and no set spaces do to some open spots and seats combined. Obviously safety counts but those set ups would allow me parking the chair "sideways" with me laying down across multiple seats and not sticking out lengthwise. One of the options Ive got for standstill positions is to lie on my back or sides. Side would be work fine when parked sideways thus not sticking out into walkways but "merely" taking up multiple spots. For which obviously Im aware of the influence of that on others and have learned over the years which show times are less crowded so as to not knock others out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter