Are there exceptions to the DP with disabilities?

jade1

I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.
Not a big deal but my friend has a son with CP, does he need to include him as an adult on the DP? He is fed through a stomach tube. Also my DSIL has a teen with Williams Syndrome who also never eats anything but pizza or corn dogs and they usually skip the plan because of this. I said I would ask on line if there are exceptions. TIA.

Not a big deal but my friend has a son with CP, does he need to include him as an adult on the DP? He is fed through a stomach tube. Also my DSIL has a teen with Williams Syndrome who also never eats anything but pizza or corn dogs and they usually skip the plan because of this. I said I would ask on line if there are exceptions. TIA.

Someone may correct me, but my understanding of the DDP is as follows....

You are required to purchase the dining plan for every member of your party but you can use and share the credits however you wish.

Some creative ways to use the system in a way that accomodates the examples you describe:

-If you are booking a reservation that includes multiple rooms book them separately. That way you can get the dining plan with one room and not the other. (Assign people to rooms according to their eating habits.)

- Use every day available on the plan. If you stay 7 nights, you can use the 7 credits over 8 days. (If you are arriving late on the first day book a one night reservation without the dining plan. Then, start the dining plan the next morning.)

- Eat 3 meals a day. The DDP provides 2 meals and 1 snack per day, most people eat 3 meals at home. Mix and match and eat 2 TS meals some days and 2 CS meals other days. (You aren't required to order a meal and use a credit for someone who can't eat--with the possible exception of buffets and character meals, check with Disney Dining.)

- Save the snacks. Use your snack credits to buy Mickey Rice Crispies and other souvenir items that you can take home with you.

- Mix and match the credits. If you have a teenager who won't eat the adult food and a younger child who is more adventurous, use the teens credit for the younger child and the child's credit for the teen.

- Do some signature restaurants (2TS credits each).

With the exception of buffets and pre-plated meals, there is no requirement to use Dining Plan credits for folks who aren't ordering anything. At buffets and pre-plated meals, a credit (or two, if it is a 2TS meals) is used-up for each person there, regardless of how much or what they eat; alternatively, sometimes you can get a waiver for a diner not eating, but an entertainment charge is applied (and not covered by the Dining Plan).

Disney has a great track record for accomodating those with special needs. I would suggest that your family members call the special needs line and ask if they can book the dining plan especially for the child that is tube fed and let them know the situation...I strongly suspect they would make exceptions to the rule so you would not have to purchase a dining plan for a child that does not eat by mouth.

Now for the child with picky eating habits I suspect might be a different situation. They would probably suggest you contact restaurants directly to make special arrangements to accomodate him.

Thanks everybody. I will throw some feedback thier ways. Like I said, nobody is complaining or anything just checking. WDW is still top of the list for them.:thumbsup2

let us know what you find out and how Disney tried to accomodate you!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter