Are There Doctors at Disney?

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
We leave in two days and DD6 just spiked a fever of 103. She was sick last week with what the doctor said was likely a virus. She seemed to be on the mend this week, although tired, and just tanked tonight. I'm hoping that means a secondary bacterial infection that antibiotics will clear right up (taking her in tomorrow) but if so and if our other kids get it, does Disney have doctors on-site?

Disney does not however there is a lot of options the front desk can help with. some can do in resort room visits if your willing to pay and disney does provide transportation to and from celebration hospital if you want to see a doctor in person (so much cheaper). There is also a pharmacy that delivers to the resorts if your own doctor can call in the prescription...

Just talk to the front desk if needed (via phone is just fine) and have a pen/paper ready to write it all down.

My daughter got the flu while we were there once and we took a free shuttle to the local walk-in clinic. They had brochures at our hotel (WL). It took forever and I wouldn't call it magical, but the doctor who saw her was so kind. I don't think they have "on-site" docs.

Editing to add an FYI... there is a heavily advertised local pharmacy but they wouldn't take insurance. As it turns out, Walgreens will also deliver to your resort and they all ready had our insurance info since we use them regularly. I'm sure there was a fee but I recall it being minimal. If you use a different pharmacy it would be worth investigating if you happen to need them while you're done there.

Last edited:
There should be a shuttle that picks up at the resorts and takes you to Florida Hospital Centra Care an urgent care center. They have an iPhone app where you can choose a location, fill in information in advance and make an appointment. Their phone number would be listed in the app for each location, or you can google it, and call them directly. There are also a few local CVS stores, one on 192 opposite the Celebration Water Tower.

:guilty::guilty:Let me tell you my two experiences.

1. 2 yrs ago I got a killer cold/ flu and sore throat. My mom dragged me to the nurses station at MK. Here they will take your temp ( I DID have a fever which blew me away) and offer OTC pain/ fever meds. They also have referrals for outside care. The nurses were very careful not to draw any conclusions. ( My mom was trying to ask if I had strep and need antobiotics). She is old school.

2. Last year my husband had in his head that due to air conditioning he got a gum infection ( ??? ). Which was a throat infection (cold) that "spread" to his teeth. In reality which he wont admitt, he needs to go to the dentist more often
Anyways he wanted to go to the dentist/ dr to pop/ clean an abcess. I went to the front desk at POR. And they gave me a flyer. Was a great service! You call a hotline where you first speak with a nurse. Nice and compendent Dr. Came directly to room. We were able to make a time later in the day that fit us. She took a look , basic overall examine and confirmed what I said, not a cold but major gum abcess. Gave an antibiotic prescp. Right there ( no pharmacy run). That would hold him over until we got home We are from overseas so we gave a cc for payment and we got a detailed report which we needed for our travel insurer. Nice to was the follow-up call the next day from the nurse asking if all ok and if no changes.

image.jpg

BTW a bit OT, but this lady Dr must have it really good. I said this must be a fun job. ( she's basically only at WDW). She laughed and said yeah. I also see the MK fireworks from our patio. What residential area is this?

BTW a bit OT, but this lady Dr must have it really good. I said this must be a fun job. ( she's basically only at WDW). She laughed and said yeah. I also see the MK fireworks from our patio. What residential area is this?
There is basically no extra WDW land north of MK. It's MK, MK service buildings, then residential.

Google Maps is often good at having you drive through that area when arriving from the North.

Last year my buddy had an abscessed tooth and we used the Centra Care clinic per the advice of the front desk at Pop Century. They picked us up very quickly. The wait was about hour or so, but the doctor and staff was very nice and quickly wrote a prescription for some antibiotics which we filled at the Target across the street. They would have brought us back to our hotel, but to save time we just used an Uber to take us straight to DHS. All told, I was pleased with the service there.

Is your doctor the kind that would proactively write a "just-in-case" prescription for the other members of your family? Mine will do that. Perhaps you can ask and go ahead and pay for the rx just in case. If you never have to use it, then what a blessing!!! :)

Kinda off topic, but has there ever been a Disney character who is a doctor?

9pf_nQ3-R6IihzMCyZpB3-yOwj23eyng2L6suTrK4ZlBreK7oEGCeHo7OZDBl_1Opqw=h900

Of course, I'm sorry Doc Mcstuffins. I'm old and was just thinking about classic characters. Mea culpa

Doc McStuffins (sp) is a girl pretending to be a doctor and her mom is actually a doctor. There is Doc from the 7 dwarfs.

Then DD7 ended up with strep on our last trip. Fortunately it didn't hit until the last day. She was run down, and we thought it was just from all the running around. We stayed through Wishes since we had reservations for the dessert party. We didn't find out what was really wrong until DW took her to urgent care outside Atlanta on our way back. One thing I would check before going is how your health insurance treats medical services outside your hime area.

No. But you may be able to get transportation to an emergency room or urgent care facility. Disney doesn't employ anything like doctors that will come to your resort room. Nor do I believe they have MDs or advanced medical facilities in the parks. There are first aid stations in the parks, which I believe are staffed by nurses. Paramedics will be sent for if necessary.

Don't forget Doctor Who merchandise in Epcot!

It sounds like your DD has exactly what I had earlier this week. The good news is I only had the fever for a day and then I was on the mend. Of course I didn't have any energy or an appetite for a few days but the fever is usually the end of the road for the virus. It only lasts 2 or 3 days and it's gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter