• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are there any shopping in Downtown Disney?

disneycrazy01

Mouseketeer
My vacation is planned and we will be at Bonnet Creek for 2 weeks in July. It will be 4 adults and 2 kids. When I booked this trip I wanted a place with a lot of activities on-site because we don't plan on going to the parks that much. We only plan on a day or 2 at Disney and one day at Universal.

I booked Bonnet Creek for that reason. We've been to all the Disney parks before except for Hollywood Studios. We been to Universal and Islands of Adventure. There seems to be enough at BC to keep the kids busy during the day so they won't feel the need to go to the parks that much. The 13 year old doesn't really like roller coasters or very fast rides. The 3 year old hasn't experienced Disney yet so one day at Magic Kingdom will be enough.

Since the parks cost so much these days, which is more enjoyable - Hollywood Studios or Universal?

My major problem which I really wasn't thinking about when I booked Bonnet Creek, is getting around without a car. None of the adults, including myself drive. We have to rely on the shuttles (I know it will cost $5.00 per person per day) to go to the Disney parks. Is Hollywood Studios part of the Disney parks?

If we go to Universal from Bonnet Creek we will have to go by cab. I read on another post somewhere that Mears has a shuttle that will take you to Universal. Has anyone used it before to get to Universal from BC and know the price per person?

When I was searching for timeshares to rent I saw a couple of timeshares that we would have been able to walk to some stores or restaurants, but the resorts themselves didn't have as many pools or even a lazy river. I wasn't really to concerned about shopping except for groceries. We plan on cooking most of our meals so I'm not too concerned about going to restaurants. We would like to eat out once or twice during the 2 weeks - are there any restaurants in Downtown Disney?

Since my 80 year old mother and 75 year old aunt who are joining us on our first ever family vacation want to go shopping I need to find a way they can do it. They want be to able to walk around and go to cheap stores the way they did years ago on International Drive.

If they take the shuttle to DTD are there any public buses that they can get that will take them to International Drive or some other shopping area? Is there a shopping area with stores such as Walgreens and places of that nature?

Thanks for any info.

My vacation is planned and we will be at Bonnet Creek for 2 weeks in July. It will be 4 adults and 2 kids. When I booked this trip I wanted a place with a lot of activities on-site because we don't plan on going to the parks that much. We only plan on a day or 2 at Disney and one day at Universal.

I booked Bonnet Creek for that reason. We've been to all the Disney parks before except for Hollywood Studios. We been to Universal and Islands of Adventure. There seems to be enough at BC to keep the kids busy during the day so they won't feel the need to go to the parks that much. The 13 year old doesn't really like roller coasters or very fast rides. The 3 year old hasn't experienced Disney yet so one day at Magic Kingdom will be enough.

Since the parks cost so much these days, which is more enjoyable - Hollywood Studios or Universal?

My major problem which I really wasn't thinking about when I booked Bonnet Creek, is getting around without a car. None of the adults, including myself drive. We have to rely on the shuttles (I know it will cost $5.00 per person per day) to go to the Disney parks. Is Hollywood Studios part of the Disney parks?

If we go to Universal from Bonnet Creek we will have to go by cab. I read on another post somewhere that Mears has a shuttle that will take you to Universal. Has anyone used it before to get to Universal from BC and know the price per person?

When I was searching for timeshares to rent I saw a couple of timeshares that we would have been able to walk to some stores or restaurants, but the resorts themselves didn't have as many pools or even a lazy river. I wasn't really to concerned about shopping except for groceries. We plan on cooking most of our meals so I'm not too concerned about going to restaurants. We would like to eat out once or twice during the 2 weeks - are there any restaurants in Downtown Disney?

Since my 80 year old mother and 75 year old aunt who are joining us on our first ever family vacation want to go shopping I need to find a way they can do it. They want be to able to walk around and go to cheap stores the way they did years ago on International Drive.

If they take the shuttle to DTD are there any public buses that they can get that will take them to International Drive or some other shopping area? Is there a shopping area with stores such as Walgreens and places of that nature?

Thanks for any info.

There is a lynx bus stop across the street from DTD.

There are quite a few places to eat at DTD-but no where to buy 2 weeks worth of groceries.

You may want to send one adult in a cab to the Walmart on Turkey Lake road for groceries. (Or Publix or Winn Dixie on 535).

Your Aunts may want to consider riding the I-ride trolley. (Not sure they will find cheap store on International drive). In runs up and down International drive. http://www.iridetrolley.com/

They would need to ride a lynx bus or take a cab to get on the I trolley.

There is also a "shopping center" at the the end of Hotel Plaza. They have a Gooding Market (expensive!) some shops, dining places and mini golf. You can walk there from DTD (sidewalks all the way, but atleast a mile walk)

There is a Walgreens 2 blocks up from the Goodings Center. There is also a CVS and Walgreens on International Drive and Central Florida Parkway (I ride trolley stops)

If you're doing the Magic Kingdom for sure, and if your 13 yo isn't into coasters, I'd stick with Hollywood Studios. It's a Disney park, so you'd get a multi-day Disney ticket rather than a one-day Disney and one-day Universal, which may save you a bit on tickets (although with just two days I'm not sure it will save much), but will definitely be less hassle.

I read on another post somewhere that Mears has a shuttle that will take you to Universal. Has anyone used it before to get to Universal from BC and know the price per person?

I would ask this on the Transportation subforum. They know all kinda stuff there about that sort of thing, and can help you find the best deal. :)

For groceries, I'd go to Walmart or Publix. If you are getting cold stuff, you will probably want to take a taxi home. You can also get groceries delivered to your unit, although that costs extra of course, but it can be cheaper than buying stuff at some of the grocery stores right by WDW and might be cheaper than paying for a taxi further out, I dunno. We always have a car so I haven't looked into it much.

We would like to eat out once or twice during the 2 weeks - are there any restaurants in Downtown Disney?

A bunch of them -- ask in the Disney Restaurants subforum. A fair percentage of them are bars or have that sort of vibe, while a couple of them are definitely geared toward kids.

They want be to able to walk around and go to cheap stores the way they did years ago on International Drive.

If they take the shuttle to DTD are there any public buses that they can get that will take them to International Drive or some other shopping area?

I would ask this one in the Transportation forum as well. There are a number of Walgreens and tons of other stores still on International Drive, but it'll take a while to get there by bus and will involve a transfer. There's an International Trolley for tourists, but there's also a regular bus route there that may be more frequent; I know it was one time we went, anyhow, but I think the trolley runs more at peak times so you'd need to check.

The shuttle to Universal is $15pp from WBC. They also offer shuttles to other locations as well.

jooQ58I.jpg

The shuttle to DTD doesn't start until after 3. If you want to get there earlier you have to go to one of the parks first. The first return from DTD is after 5.

3FtAAnf.png

There is LOTS of shopping in Downtown Disney but if your mom & aunt are looking for lots of cheap shopping like they used to do on I-Drive then they are going to be disappointed. This is not discount shopping like you can find at the typical I-Drive store. For that, you would be much better off just going to I-Drive. Your mom & aunt might like to stroll around DTD but from the way you describe it, it isn't exactly what they are looking for.

here is a free shuttle from Lake buena vista factory shop - now it is not as fancy or large as some on ID - but I like it.

http://www.lbvfs.com/Orlando-Outlet-Free-Shuttle.cfm

look at the bottom for wbc and times

here is one of the big ones

along the bottom is a shuttle - they say is free - otherwise you can use the bus (you would have to pay)

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=17#shuttle

now if they do use the free shuttle - then expect to be at the mall for hours !!!

otherwise you can take a taxis - or rent a car for one day

When we went last year for 10 days we didn't get a car either. We knew we wanted to cook most of our meals, so we booked a car to pick us up at the airport to take us to the hotel. One of the free options with booking the car is that you got a 30 min stop at a local grocery store (Publix for us) if you wanted it.

This was perfect. A cab would of cost us almost the same as the car did. The car was round trip, did the 30 min stop, had our flight information so was waiting for us when we arrived, and also arrived at the hotel on our day of departure to take us back to the airport. Both vehicles were very large, roomy and the driver was great. There was no waiting in line to get a cab, or wait for a bus.

The company we used was called Quick Silver. I would recommend them. They have a website. I think there are other companies out there that do the grocery stop too.

There is alot of shopping at DTD, however, it's mostly Disney merchandise. If you are looking for "regular" shopping, I would try the outlets. DH couldn't believe the price of sneakers at the outlets, and has been talking about it ever since, lol. I think he bought three pair. We rented a car for the day the day we went to the closest outlets, but it really wasn't that far from the hotel, driving wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter