Are there any Fairy Tales left?

LoriABil

DIS Veteran
DS has a book report due where he has to pick a fairy tale. He refuses to do one with princesses, or any that he has "seen." This is going to be tough, but that's another issue.

This has got me thinking. Are there any fairy tales left which Disney can use for a movie?

Which fairy tale would you like to see on the screen (animated or live action)?

i would love a hansel and gretal movie. :) disney made a little cartoon about it but i would love a movie or goldilocks and the three bears.
i have grimms books of fairy tales and it has TONS i mean atelast a hundred fairy tales disney could use. :thumbsup2

There are many many Grimm's Fairytales that could be used, but many, as they are written, are way too dark! Of course, with a little Disney magic...I agree about Hansel and Gretal!

We went to Aesop's fables for the book report - sort of like fairytales without the princesses. I think the Lion and the Mouse has potential as far as movies go...

Didn't Disney do this one as live action? I don't remember it, which may say something for the popularity of it...or it may just say something about me having a 7 year old boy!!! :)

I just looked it up. "Once Upon a Mattress" I might have to check that out...wonder if it's on Netflix?

I think if one looks beyond the idea that a "fairy tale" must be European in origin then one would find literally thousands of stories from around the world. There are also numerous European tales still out there.

Sometimes people think that Disney has done most of (what they think of as) the "big" fairy tales -- but some of those tales have that reputation today partly because Disney did them. I think the story of Snow White might be rather obscure today if not for Disney -- same goes for Pinocchio (though that's not a fairly tale in the same sense). It's impossible to say for certain, of course ...

Does anyone else remember the old "Fairy Tale Theater" from the 80's?
It was on one of the pay channels, and featured (then) popular actors in live action fairy tales.
The one's I remember most were "Pinocchio" with Pee-Wee Herman, "Beauty and the Beast" with Susan Sarandon and the "Frog Prince" with Robin Williams and Terri Garr.

It was a descent show, but probably dated by now.

BTW, I saw "Once Upon a Mattress" on The Disney Channel a year or so ago -- not to great, but worth seeing for free, I suppose

Well I know they've hit on Grecian "fairy tales" with doing a Hercules movie. (I know it's not exactly the same but it;s similar.)

I really want them to do something Egyptian. I've always loved ancient egypt and I think they should try do to something from their legends/traditions/stories.

Well I know they've hit on Grecian "fairy tales" with doing a Hercules movie. (I know it's not exactly the same but it;s similar.)

I really want them to do something Egyptian. I've always loved ancient egypt and I think they should try do to something from their legends/traditions/stories.

Is Cleopatra really appropriate for my 7 year old? Just kidding, I think something leaning towards ancient Egypt/Greece/Mediterranean could be interesting and (gasp, dare I say it?) educational!

But I am thinking along the lines of classic, like Grimm's Fairytales. But, leaning toward Grecian themes, Aesop's is a possibility. I remember Disney's Tortoise and the Hare. I think it was a short.

Did they ever do little red riding hood? I know they did 3 little pigs, but can't remember Red.

It was on one of the pay channels, and featured (then) popular actors in live action fairy tales.
The one's I remember most were "Pinocchio" with Pee-Wee Herman, "Beauty and the Beast" with Susan Sarandon and the "Frog Prince" with Robin Williams and Terri Garr.

BTW, I saw "Once Upon a Mattress" on The Disney Channel a year or so ago -- not to great, but worth seeing for free, I suppose

YES! :lovestruc You can get it on DVD now! Some of my favorites were Carrie Fisher in Thumbelina, Pam Dawber in The Little Mermaid, and Liza Minnelli in The Princess and the Pea.

Oh, AND Matthew Broderick as the prince in Cinderella!!!

I am sure they will not change the title..!!!!
I present to you Tangled, formerly known as Rapunzel. I'm still mad about the name change. :mad:

There are definitely plenty of stories left. -looks at her large book of Grimm Fairy Tales- There are so many that I want to see that I don't know what to pick!

I wouldn't waste my time on Disney's Once Upon a Mattress. It was pretty bad. If there is an original version out there with Carol Burnett as Winnifred I would watch that one instead.
And yeah I vote for Rumpelstiltskin. That would be a fun one!

Sounds interesting. Never saw it but I'm in UK so doubt it ever showed here. But I do remember fondly a series narrated by Rik Mayall in the UK called Grim Tales. It was closer to the original Brothers Grimm fairytales and acted out with strange puppets so it was kind of creepy actually. But Rik Mayall was very funny with his way of telling the stories and seemed to get a real kick out of making the sound effects. Some of them are on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Grim+Tales+rik+mayall&aq=f
There's also a Wikipedia article with a list of the Grimm stories they covered, relevant for this thread as there were quite a few that aren't well known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Tales

I present to you Tangled, formerly known as Rapunzel. I'm still mad about the name change. :mad:

There are definitely plenty of stories left. -looks at her large book of Grimm Fairy Tales- There are so many that I want to see that I don't know what to pick!

Exactly! I'm mad about that too. Hmph! :snooty:

I think that theres alot of material for Disney to work with, but not necissarily with JUST fairy tales. They could do alot if they look into traditional myth, folklore, and works of literature. I'm an English major, and this happens to be my area of interest, so there's alot I'd like to see.

I know that we had the Sword and The Stone, but I'd like to see a movie that follows some other characters of Arthurian legend. Theres some big opportunity for Disney here. You have the hero, Lancelot, the princess, Gweneivere, and a cool villain with Mordred. Also, we could have sidekicks in Percival and Gallahad. It could be a really neat movie!

If Disney could find a way to pull off a movie based on Gilgamesh, I'd be really impressed, but even I can't find a way to "Disney-fy" that one.

Here's some that havent been made into films by Disney:

Hansel and Gretel
Little Red Riding Hood
12 Dancing Princess
The Snow Queen
The Princess and the Pea
Rumplestilkin
Goldie Locks and the Three Bears
The Gingerbread man.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter