• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

are the two-way radios working better on the ships?

ranidayz

DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian
last time we cruised, the overwhelming opinion was that so many people had them that the signals were spotty or always crossed. has that improved at all? is there any better way of communicating with family members onboard besides the white-board?

subbing! :)
My parents are semi-disabled so we need a way to communicate without us having to rely on the whiteboard or run all over looking for them!

Generally speaking, they won't work very well inside the ship simply because because of all the metal. The operate on what is known as "line of sight"....both radios must be able to have an unobstructed (specifically no metal) line between them.

If you HAVE to be in contact with each other, a cell phone would be the answer. It will be VERY expensive, but it will be the only reliable way if you really have to be in touch.

Cell phones aren't an option I'm afraid. I'm not paying an arm and a leg just to ask "Where ya at?". They can put a man on the moon but you can't communicate on a cruise ship. *sigh*:confused3

Cell phones aren't an option I'm afraid. I'm not paying an arm and a leg just to ask "Where ya at?". They can put a man on the moon but you can't communicate on a cruise ship. *sigh*:confused3

Well, actually, "They can put a man on the moon but you can't communicate reliably for free on a cruise ship".

If they would switch to cell phones like RCCL has...no problem mon! :thumbsup2 Haven't been on DCL yet and I'm praying they switch by our cruise next year. :worship: :wizard:

You can also buy a quality Walkie Talkie. I use Blackbox radio's UHF band walkie talkies. They have 4 watts of power and they work well on the Disney Wonder. UHF works better than VHF for penetrating walls. The walkie talkie is military grade. You can buy them from blackboxradios.com but they are cheaper on Ebay at about $120. Check them out. Reception is exceptionally clear compared to other radios but you get what you pay for.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Others will say that you need a license to use these but for the last 5 -7 years I have used them everywhere in the US including Disneyworld and Disneycruise. I put them in my carryon luggage with no questions when going thru security. No issues.

You can also buy a quality Walkie Talkie. I use Blackbox radio's UHF band walkie talkies. They have 4 watts of power and they work well on the Disney Wonder. UHF works better than VHF for penetrating walls. The walkie talkie is military grade. You can buy them from blackboxradios.com but they are cheaper on Ebay at about $120. Check them out. Reception is exceptionally clear compared to other radios but you get what you pay for.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Others will say that you need a license to use these but for the last 5 -7 years I have used them everywhere in the US including Disneyworld and Disneycruise. I put them in my carryon luggage with no questions when going thru security. No issues.

For what these folks are talking about doing, the cell phone still would be a cheaper option for a few quick calls. And YES, everything that transmits over 1/2 watt now requires a license for use in the U.S., HOWEVER you won't be in the U.S., and these radios are illegal in many other countries.......but of course, you have to get caught using them, not having them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter