• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are the rides at Disney World the same as the rides at Disneyland (i.e. SW, Pirates)

Kinetic

Earning My Ears
Are the rides that share the same name (i.e. Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc.) the same in Disney World and Disneyland or are they re-imagineneered and a little bit different?

Thanks!

:)

There are some differences between the Haunted Mansions and Pirates rides, maybe some others as well, but know those two for sure are different in minor ways.

Tower of Terror: The fall is different and the pattern of falls are different.

Its a small World: Is much better at Disneyland because it includes more references to Disney characters and is more entertaining to me personally. The outdoor queue is nice as well in CA.

Pirates is longer in Disneyland and there is a different line queue because most of it is outdoor. In Florida, the line queue has a cool dungeon feel. I love both but like Disneyland better.

Haunted Mansion: could not tell a difference once I got into the Doombuggy. Loading area is different.

Space Mountain was closed when I was in Disneyland.

Peter pan ride is longer in WDW and very popular.

Big Thunder Mountain is the same ride, but with different scenery because it is in the midst of Disneyland and in the back if WDW.

Splash Mountain was different, but not too much....

trying to remember other differences.....

The biggest difference in Splash Mountain, believe it or not, is the music. The WDW version has a great bluegrass vibe and the DL version has more of a big orchestra sound.

Some clones are better, some not. Some are almost exactly alike.

Attractions that are superior at WDW (IMO):

Tower of Terror is much better. Better effects, an extra scene and randomized drop sequences.
Haunted Mansion is also better. It has an extra scene and sharper visual effects and surround sound (due to the massive refurb some years back). And the interactive queue and Hitch Hiking Ghosts are an improvement, in my opinion.
Splash Mountain has a better dark ride portion.
Jungle Cruise. It's a longer ride with an extra scene.
Winnie the Pooh is far better.
Toy Story Mania is the same, but the queue is far better at WDW.

Disneyland attractions that are better:

Pirates. No contest, this is the classic original, in all its full length glory. One of the greatest rides on the planet.
Fantasmic! Also no contest, this is such a wonderful show. The only problem is that locals hog all the best spots for hours, so it's hard to get a good view, at least for the first show of the night. And no seating.
Small World, for the beautiful exterior.
Tom Sawyer Island. The pirate theme makes it much more fun.
Space Mountain. I prefer the track at WDW, but their version is too rough, with no music.
Tiki Room (especially with that pre-show).
Reportedly, The Little Mermaid is now better, because it was recently plussed. I haven't experienced that new version.

Some clones are better, some not. Some are almost exactly alike.

Attractions that are superior at WDW (IMO):

Tower of Terror is much better. Better effects, an extra scene and randomized drop sequences.
Haunted Mansion is also better. It has an extra scene and sharper visual effects and surround sound (due to the massive refurb some years back). And the interactive queue and Hitch Hiking Ghosts are an improvement, in my opinion.
Splash Mountain has a better dark ride portion. The drop itself is more intense at Disneyland.
Jungle Cruise. It's a longer ride with an extra scene.
Winnie the Pooh is far better.
Toy Story Mania is the same, but the queue is far better at WDW.

Disneyland attractions that are better:

Pirates (no contest), Fantasmic! (also no contest) Tom Sawyer Island (the pirate theme makes it much more fun) Space Mountain (I prefer the track at WDW, but their version is too rough, with no music) and Tiki Room (including the pre-show).
Reportedly, The Little Mermaid is now better, because it was recently plussed. I haven't experienced that new version.

I agree 100% with all of these, but I do have a couple of things to add.

The Little Mermaid queue is better at WDW though the DCA version was just plussed (although, I don't think the changes aren't really that noticeable to most people).
Tower of Terror, while it has an added feature at DHS that beats DCA, it seems the DCA one is more aggressive in the drops

Other attractions not yet mentioned (or I overlooked):
It's a Small World at DL is far superior, especially the facade/queue. It's also a great alternative to the castle for watching fireworks.
Soarin' is exactly the same in both parks
Autopia (DL) is better than the Tomorrowland Speedway (MK), IMO - the scenery is nicer.
Space Mountain in DL is a better quality ride all around
Big Thunder Mountain in both are worth riding, they are slightly different
Peter Pan in DL has a room that MK doesn't have that puts it over the top, but the MK version is a much smoother ride.
Radiator Springs Racers beats Test Track :rolleyes1
Also, the monorail is worth riding on both coasts

But the monorail at DL is more of a ride; whereas, at WDW, it's actually transportation.

I really like how the Dole Whip is served right at Tiki at DL. The line is shorter if you are waiting to do Tiki than if you are just walking by. Plus, you can take it in. The inside water feature is better too.

RSR is way better than Test Track. We'll do TT next time, but only because it's not horrible.

All in all, I like both parks for a lot of different reasons. At DLR, I actually like DCA better than DL. Whereas at WDW, MK is way better than DHS. WDW does feel more like a world to me, but DL feels like a town.

These are the ones that stand out to me, ranked from biggest to smallest difference in quality.

DL Space Mtn >>> WDW Space Mtn
Radiator Springs >> Test Track
Grizzly Peak >> Kali River
Indy >> Dinosaur
DL Buzz >> WDW Buzz
WDW Astro Orbiter >> DL Astro Orbiter
DL Pirates > WDW Pirates
WDW ToT > DL ToT
WDW Splash Mtn > DL Splash
Cal Screamin > Rock n Rollercoaster

Everything else is close enough I love them equally at both parks.

Even though I prefer the DL rides and parks overall if Disney offered me a free week including food and hotel at either I'd pick WDW in a heartbeat. DL has better rides and better parks IMHO but WDW is a better overall vacation.

ETA: Another huge advantage for DL is the lines for similar rides are almost always much shorter there.

Big Thunder is now better in DL. While both WDW and DL shut down BTMM recently, WDW only redid the queue, DL also redid the 3rd indoor hill and it has a cool TNT fuses "lighted" and "sparked" up the hill with an explosion as you reached the stop.

Add that to the other, above differences and it really seems like DL cares about rides, while WDW only cares about queues.

(The main exception, Pooh in WDW is much better /complete story, but the DL queue is outdoors and kinda feels like you are in the Hundred Acre Wood.)

On Autotopia: the DL cars seem to be powered by quieter and smoother Honda or Kawasaki engines while the WDW speedway cars are powered by older, noisier, and gassy-smelling Briggs engines... I hate the WDW speedway queue because of all of those idling cars.

HM at WDW has the Escher Room (the room with the multiple stairways). HL at DL gets a great makeover from Halloween through New Years to be Nightmare Before Christmas. HL at WDW also has the interactive queue. The 'expanding' room in DL is actually an elevator taking you down to the loading area.

IASW in DL gets a music makeover for Christmas and has Disney Character dolls scattered through the ride.

SM at DL is a MUCH easier car to get into and sits two across with a GREAT speak system. The music is synced with the ride and really helps the experience. During Halloween, special effects are added to the ride to create Ghost Galaxy. However, it only has one track. I think it's much less jerky and WDW.

Pirates in DL has an extra drop in it.

ToT in DL - the elevator does not move across the floor from the back of the building to the front. The special effects are different before the drop(s).

The Monorail at DL is a better 'ride' but the trains are better at WDW.

Peter Pan at DL has a really cool "star field" in it.

I agree with just about everything posted here, and just about everything has been covered.

Some random thoughts:

Space Mountain at Disneyland is much better. The Michael Giacchino score is epic and truly elevates the ride into something special. The Ghost Galaxy overlay at Halloween is a fun experience as well.

I only rode Small World at WDW once, but I felt like it was completely different, but that might just be my memory playing tricks. One thing is sure - WDW's is flooded and DL's is a canal which makes for a different feel.

I refer to WDW's Pirates as '2/3 of Pirates of The Caribbean'. DL has a long bayou scene, 2 drops, a lengthy journey through caves (this is due to the space originally being prepared as a walk-through attraction. Once that was scrapped, the long caves became the ride into the new show building). Also, Disney World is missing the final scene (which is bizarre and frustrating) and I personally miss the final lift uphill, which WDW does not have.

When I rode WDW's Tower of Terror after years of riding DCA's version - I was amazed. Something happens in their version and I literally had no idea it was going to happen and it blew my mind because it was the last thing I was expecting. I don't mean to be so vague, but I don't want to ruin it.

Jungle Cruise at WDW has a really cool extra scene that makes it better in my opinion. (But does WDW have the piranha attack? I don't remember)

I personally prefer WDW's Splash Mountain. Disneyland had to work with mostly pre-existing animatronics taken out of America Sings. WDW got all new animatronics and therefore has a stronger darkride portion (although I miss the sad, singing, mamas before the drop).

HM is way better at WDW. The interactive queue is fun (in my opinion). The sound in the elevator is amazing. The library and escher scenes are cool. The hitch-hiking ghosts are incredible. (Way, way, way, different than Disneyland's version).

Big Thunder at DL is amazing now with the new track and enhanced final scene. When the darn thing works.

I don't remember WDW's Pooh for some reason.

A whole hall of Presidents is pretty nifty. At DL poor Abe has nobody to play with.

If you must compare thrill mountains, Everest is better than Matterhorn (which was recently ruined by the installation of horrendous, painful, bobsleds).

Autopia (as it should be called) is much better at DL. The entire track is lushly themed.

One point that should be made, WDW definitely has superior versions of PeopleMover, Country Bears, Circlevision, and a carousel theater show... seeing as they weren't removed. ;) (And in turn, Disneyland has WDW beat on Mr. Toad, Snow White, and submarines).

The "Magic Kingdom railroad" is much more of an attraction at DL. You go are part of the IASW outdoor entry, and more importantly, As you complete the loop, behind Space Mountain you see the dinosaur animatronic dioramas Walt created for the Worlds Fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter