• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are the resort hotels really all that much better than the value resorts?

On our first trip we stayed at Coronado Springs and left on the last full day to go to an Art of Animation suite. While we loved having a suite for our family of 3 and the theme of the movies our son was loving at the time, we did notice a difference when comparing the two back to back. CSR had the bigger, more comfortable beds with higher quality linens. It was also quieter at the pools, transportation was easier, etc. AoA was very crowded, only one place to eat, only one bus stop, etc.

We stayed at a Value our first time with the kids. We had a family suite at the All Star Music. Although we enjoyed the extra room in the suite, we found out quickly that the Value resort just wasn't for us. There were a ton of tour groups there, getting something at the food court felt like an act of congress and the buses were always a zoo.

We stayed moderate last time and it was much better. Although, the mod we stayed at was POR and we found the resort to be a little bit too big for us. We might try POFQ next time since it's more compact.

My dream is to stay at a deluxe someday but for our family of 4 (soon to be 5), it's just not financially realistic for us right now. We can keep dreaming though :-)

I think that a lot depends on what you expect from your resort and what you want to do while on vacation. My husband thinks that is we are not on the monorail, we are not in Disney. I think he is right...for him. We stay there when he is with us, but when we travel without him, we stay at POFQ. There is everything we need there but proximity to the Magic Kingdom. I also think you need to think about what you want to do while vacationing. If you use your resort room as a place to sleep and shower, then why spend the money for amenities you will not use., If you need the conveniences and amenities a deluxe offers, then that is different.

We've stayed at most of the resorts at WDW and we love all 3 levels. They all have different things to offer and all are fun with great theming. For us, it comes down to how much we are willing to spend at the time.

The moderates seem to be the best "value"...you get a lot of the feeling of the deluxe, yet a price much closer to the value. That said, if you can swing the deluxe- they are NICE. Still, you could spend less and stay to the Waldorf Astoria at Bonnet Creek if you wanted. WL and AKL are less expensive than the other deluxe (and standard rooms only sleep 4)

We've stayed in all levels. Mod I think is a nice middle ground. It's good "value" for what you get.

The one thing I keep seeing people say is "if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep then stick with a value"
I totally disagree with this. We've stayed at ASports & Pop and my whole family says never again because of how uncomfortable the beds are. You really need to get a good night sleep (especially if you are commando touring). Our second night at ASports my fiancé went to see if there was availability at POR so we could move (we were willing to pay the increase to rack rate it was that bad) trust me trying to tour MK with a dull ache in your back is not fun. Also the values are just too crowded for us.

So I'd say stay Mod and if you can swing the cost then stay deluxe.

In answer to the original question, yes, the resort hotels are that much better. The GF was the highlight of our trip. The monorail was great, the atmosphere was upscale and peaceful but not stuffy (7 year old loved it). The CMs were top level, and the rooms huge by Disney standards.

That doesn't mean deluxes are right for everyone's budget and the mods and values are are great alternatives.

Personally I just like trying out all the different disney resorts. I always have fun and we have stayed value through deluxe. My husband on the other hand told me to stop booking values. He doesn't like how much more crowded the value resorts get. for example a deluxe bus could be half empty at the same time a values is full with some people standing and some having to wait for a second bus. Also after the parks start closeing for the night the values food courts get overrun.

The cost of the deluxe is way too high. We stayed at the Contemporary when I was a kid and I stayed at the Poly on the last full WDW trip I made, but now that I am married with kids I would not consider it! The choice then becomes the values or the mods. The first question you have to ask yourself is "how much time will I be in my hotel?" If you are leaving promptly in the morning, and not coming back until bedtime, it is pointless to pony up extra money that you could use in the parks. Even a $60 jump may not seem like much, but over 5 nights that is $300. That's extra spending money. If you are going to be in the rooms more often, maybe for a midday rest, then you might want to look at the mods. They have a little more room. Though you should be aware that even a value resort at WDW is still a great resort compared to a lot of the places you find while traveling. Look at the needs for your family and decide based on what makes sense. For me, I would rather save money for spending than blow it on a hotel. That said, maybe in a later trip I'll hit the Contemporary for old times sake. But I will only do that once the kids are gone.

I'm reading about all the different hotels around Disneyworld. I keep thinking someday when I do go, that I just have to stay at the Contemporary Resort or Grand Floridian. I'm thinking mainly of the convenience of location to Magic Kingdom. But I started thinking, how much better are they than the value resorts? Yes, they're gorgeous and probably have more shops and restaurants. But what makes the resort hotels so much better than the value ones (if at all) and vice versa? For those that stayed at both, did you enjoy your trip more when staying at a resort hotel or not? ETA-Any positives about the moderate hotels would be appreciated too. Thanks.

There is so much that each resort offers, then you add in your touring style, whether you are a commando or have a more laid back style, if you have kiddos with you and the ages of the kiddos.

We have stayed at all three levels and enjoyed each one.

The Values rooms are quite small ( except for the Family Suite at AoA worth the extra money), I would only suggest them if you are planning a short trip and planning on doing the parks from rope drop to fireworks. If you need to put up a pack and play and add in a stroller you will be climbing over the beds to move around. The pools do not have a slides at the values, not to say that the pool area are not wonderful, they just lack a slide. Food Courts are food courts but each of them has good offerings, décor matches the theme of the resorts and the grounds are well maintained. Buses seem to run on time and depending on the time of day whether you will be standing or not:crowded:. During Free dinning the option is for Quick service only, but you can upgrade to another plan for a cost if you choose.

The Moderates rooms, are large and offer more space to move around, and most of them are offering queen size beds. The pools all have slides and great theming and the grounds are so well kept. Food courts are good, some of the mods offer a sit down restaurant as add bonus. Buses run on time and as with any resort time of day play a factor in the seating. POFQ and POR - do share a bus at times, but not at peak times, they both offer a boat trip to DTD which is a really nice option, and you can walk between the resorts and use there pool and Food court which is a added bonus if you are staying more than a few nights. Caribbean Beach, is large resort. For us has the best themed pool of all the moderates, it does not share buses with other resorts, and because of the size it offers a internal bus to help you get around. Coronado Springs, is a convention resort and has that feel to it, and if you are there when a convention is going, not a fun thing at all. During free dinning The regular DDP is offered, but you can up grade to DDXDP for a cost.

Deluxe Resorts - 3 of them offer monorail service, Poly, CR, GF to MK, Wilderness lodge offers a boat ride over to MK and AK only has bus service to MK, they all offer bus service to all of the other parks. The rooms are larger and well themed, pool areas are wonderful as well as the grounds. Food courts are good, more sit down options on site in each resortDuring free dinning The regular DDP is offered, but you can up grade to DDXDP for a cost..

The thing is that you can ride the monorail, and dine in any restaurant you want to in the resorts, they are for everyone and not exclusive to guest staying in whatever resort. You can check out any resort that you want to and have a meal if you want. You can not pool hop, you are only allowed to use the pool in the resort you are staying in, with the exception of POFQ and POR.

Mostly I would make a budget for the trip, then see what deals you can get. No matter how you get to visit it will be magical .pixiedust:

My family of three has stayed in both the value and mod resorts. We stayed in All Star Music in 2013 for a 3 day trip, and CBR in 2014 for a week long vacation. This upcoming September we will be staying at the WL, our first stay in a deluxe resort and we could not be more excited!

As far as comparisons go, we have had a completely magical time on both our stays it really just depends on what you and your family are looking for.

When we stayed in the ASM resort we felt like we were really missing something. The rooms were small and the walls were painted concrete blocks. The pools, while nice were missing a hot tub (my fav) and above all else it was extremely crowded with long waits and little shade at the bus stop. CBR was very nice last year as well. We loved the pool and the additional dining options (larger food court area as well as a TS restaurant). The room was also much nicer with double sinks and nicer beds. We did not get a preferred room but stayed in Martinique near the buses. The resort was just so spread apart. The buses made several stops within the resort and we had a bit of a hike to go refill our mugs with coffee every morning in the food court. CBR is a great value and if you don't mind all the bus stops and how spread out the resort is, I think you will do just fine. I would definitely recommend getting a preferred room if possible (especially if you have little ones).

As a family we are learning that spending the extra money really is worth it for us. When we booked our 2015 vacation we originally booked the AoA Little Mermaid Standard Room, but upon further discussion we decided to try a deluxe resort this time. This year we picked the WL for it's theming, it's proximity and transportation to the MK and it was the lowest price of the deluxe resorts that we looked at. This year we are planning of doing a lot of relaxing at the resort so to spend the extra money for a really nice place to stay will be worth it (I hope!)

That being said it really depends on your traveling style and your budget. I agree with LovesTimone, no matter where you stay or how you visit you will have an absolutely magical time!

The deluxe resorts are more roomy and comfortable than the value resorts. However, I let my budget dictate. If the deluxe is too much of a financial pain I will stay at the values. When the kids were young especially we didn't need so much room, the kids loved the values and we spent most the time at the parks. Values were the way to go. Now that we are older and the kids are grown, we spend less time at the parks and need more room. We can spend more as we are done paying for college.

We've stayed in all levels. Mod I think is a nice middle ground. It's good "value" for what you get.

The one thing I keep seeing people say is "if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep then stick with a value"
I totally disagree with this. We've stayed at ASports & Pop and my whole family says never again because of how uncomfortable the beds are. You really need to get a good night sleep (especially if you are commando touring). Our second night at ASports my fiancé went to see if there was availability at POR so we could move (we were willing to pay the increase to rack rate it was that bad) trust me trying to tour MK with a dull ache in your back is not fun. Also the values are just too crowded for us.

So I'd say stay Mod and if you can swing the cost then stay deluxe.

Agree! If sleep is the most important thing, then moderates are worth the extra money. DH and I have trouble sleeping in a double bed together. Queens are much better for us. The moderates are far quieter. At AOA we heard people slamming doors and yelling in the halls well past midnight. It felt as if we were sleeping in a large tin can where every noise was amplified. POR was so peaceful. The values can be magical, too. But for sleep quality, I don't think you can beat the moderates.

The deluxe resorts are quiter. The beds are bigger (and imo more comfortable) and the rooms are bigger. The locations are better, with monorail service or walking paths to at least one park. Most have some pretty amazing views. Your bedroom door doesn't lead directly outside like the Motel 6. The pools have slides and must have a more exciting theme than the values. (Although I will and AOA has a pretty awesome talking pool.). There are less guests on property overall.

I think it all depends on your family and what is right for your budget. My children absolutely love the value resorts. Especially ASMovies. There they are completely absorbed in all things Disney from the time they wake up until they fall asleep. However since we have purchased DVC, we have stayed in most of the Delux resorts with our most recent being BLT at the Contemporary. Wow the view was amazing. Taking the monorail from the resort to EPCOT and MK was great and the rooms are huge when compared to the value resorts. If you ask the kids though they love them all. Each has a uniqueness of its own and you need to try them before you can cross them off your list.

There are many factors - for our family of 5 we need 2 rooms so for us we like the values. We have stayed at POR and I really liked the feel of the resort and the pool but fitting us in 1 room with 14, 11 and 8 yr old girls isn't really workable. We like the all star music suites, or we have gotten 2 value rooms. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can try renting DVC points for our next trip.

Wow, I sure have a lot to think about. My DH is frugal with money and I'm not, so we'll have to come up with some compromise when we do plan a trip.

I know this wasn't in your options, but have you considered Swan or Dolphin? We have stayed at almost every resort. We like Swan/Dolphin primarily because of their location. You can walk or boat to Epcot (enter by the International Gateway in the countries) or walk/boat to HS. And we've been able to get discounts, teacher, now AARP. They also do nurses, firemen, military... But sometimes they just have good deals. From that same location area, though are also the Yacht and Beach Club and the Boardwalk. Same transportation options. Last year we visited the World 6 times with AP... we stayed at POP each time for the cost difference. We don't particularly care for the moderates, because the transportation to all the parks is still bus. And several of them require very long treks to the food court. This 4th of July we are at the Swan. MK fireworks on July 3, Epcot fireworks on July 4... so we can walk back to the resort. We did one NYE at Epcot, stayed at the Dolphin... could walk back to the resort. BTW our favorite used to be the north wing at the Contemporay, which is no longer there.. Bay Lake Tower. The other plus for deluxe or S/D is the availabilty of room service. Moderates and values only have evening pizza delivery, or the food courts are closed when the parks have very extended hours.

I know this wasn't in your options, but have you considered Swan or Dolphin?
At this point, I'm considering all my options. I do know ideally I want to stay at the Contemporary because I want to be close to Magic Kingdom. I know Swan and Dolphin are advertised on Disneyworld.com but you can't book a package for those hotels online. Does anyone know why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter