Are the cabins a good choice?

MMfan101

Earning My Ears
My family of four is going with a family of seven and we are afraid we made a wrong choice of doing a cabin. I would like to know if they are clean, and are fun. Some of the people coming are little kids, now i heard that there isnt much light, so do I need a flashlight? Also which pool would be more fun.
Thank You

MMfan101 said:
My family of four is going with a family of seven and we are afraid we made a wrong choice of doing a cabin. I would like to know if they are clean, and are fun. Some of the people coming are little kids, now i heard that there isnt much light, so do I need a flashlight? Also which pool would be more fun.
Thank You

I hope you mean that your family will be staying in a cabin by yourselves. Excellent choice for a great place to stay. Much more room than regular resort accommodations and you have a kitchen for cooking if you want to save money and not eat out all the time. Lighting is fine and there will be daily housekeeping. The cabins have their own pool but you can use the bigger campground pool if you want.

I'm sure some cabin vets will help reassure you on your choice.

John

I booked one of the 'cabins' about 5 years ago.
It was just like a trailer and I was soooooo disappointed, as my sis and her H were coming down for 1 of the nights.

We checked in about 1 in the morning and were SOooooo tired. But I went back to the front desk and they were really nice....and traded for a 1 bedroom Old Key West....now THAT was heaven.

ColoradoBelle1 said:
It was just like a trailer and I was soooooo disappointed, as my sis and her H were coming down for 1 of the nights.

We checked in about 1 in the morning and were SOooooo tired. But I went back to the front desk and they were really nice....and traded for a 1 bedroom Old Key West....now THAT was heaven.

Ah but what you got was a trailer and not a cabin,
the trailers have been retired and the cabins are very nice, not ruffing it but a kitchen and housekeeping

The first time we stayed in the Fort Wilderness Trailer was 20 years ago. We all fell in love with them! We've seen them improved over the years-the year they added the microwave was a biggie - to being totally remodeled into cabins. It's actually our favorite place to stay. It's quiet, peaceful, etc. It's a little inconvienent for getting to the parks, but as long as your not in a hurry, it's not a problem. The Wilderness Pool is close & the huge laundry room there is very convenient. The Meadow Pool is much bigger and it has a kiddie pool too. We would go food shopping (Publix is great) before we would check in. It's wonderful to be able to have a quick breakfast in the morning and you're off. We also did a cookout one night - one year my aunt brought with her on the plane frozen Kielbasi from home to grill! That's the year we had 3 trailers of family & friends! They have maid service and it's fully stocked with all the dishes, kitchen equipment, etc. It's a great place to stay! Enjoy!

We just returned from staying in a cabin. We loved our little cabin so much we didn't want to leave it. FW is a great break from the busy hot parks at this time year. It's peaceful and quiet and there is sooooo much to do right there in the camp grounds. You did NOT make a wrong choice, you'll love it.

When we went in February it was not a busy time of year and I thought the transportation was great. We took the boat from FW to MK, if we were going to MGM or Epcot, the same thing, we took the boat to FW and walked to the monorail. The only time we took a bus was to go to Animal Kingdom, we waited about 20 minutes for it. I didn't think that was too bad.

Our family loved the cabins, private, relaxing, loved having coffee on the porch listening to the birds sing in the morning.

PrincessJasmine53 said:
It's a little inconvienent for getting to the parks, but as long as your not in a hurry, it's not a problem.

I agree - the CABINS are great. We've always stayed in the cabins and unfortunately couldn't get one for our upcoming stay in July. We are staying in the Port Orleans Riverside and I am so leery about that hotel. I did consent to it though.

The cabins are wonderful for little kids. They will see lots of animals - rabbits, raccoons, birds, squirrels, and even possibly a deer. We would take a flashlight to go on a "hike" at night through the cabin loop to look for animals.

Very relaxing in the morning to have coffee, juice, cereal on the porch. I cooked just once while we were there. If you do cook on the barbeque grill - mousekeeping even cleans up your coals for you. If you leave any dishes out and about - they put them in the dishwasher for you and start it. Our ladies each time have been great.

We brought some bubbles to blow outside while everyone was getting ready - a great place to start and end your day - no stress and no noise!

We have a family of 4 Adults and haven't seen prices for cabins listed anywhere. We're coming down next September. Can someone give us a rough ammount? :bounce:

My Family of 4(kids 13,15) just switched from a cabin to a standard room at WL for our Aug 8-15 trip. We had booked because my girl was going to take a friend and Nephew was also coming. They cancelled so we switched.

I Just felt we were going to do ENOUGH walking at the parks and that campground looks huge add the weather and insects. I am thinking I would rather walk through air conditioned hallways to get to my room. Plus they credited the diff to our room, so we have almost $240 to spend at the marina.

If we were a party of 6 We would happily stay in a cabin.

The cabins are awesome if you're the kinda folks who don't need to be going, going, GOING all the time (aka park commandos). FW offers a quiet and peaceful counterpoint which I find very welcome to the hustle and bustle of the parks .
When my two youngest boys, their best friend, and I stayed there last summer, more than half the pictures we took during the entire trip, were of little lizards, tree frogs, and plants that we encountered around our cabin.
Various family members and I are returning in January and even though we browsed through the descriptions of the other resorts , we didn't find any other one that appealed to us as much as FW.
Trail's End Buffeteria is a great place for family meals. Taking the boat over to the MK is like a "ride" all by itself. Having a little quiet time with my kids at the beach while waiting for the fireworks -- now that's a memory that I'll hold dear forever.
Whereever you stay, I hope you have a GREAT time.

We love the cabins and stay there as often as possible. My favorite time to go is in December when it's cold, the campfire sing a long at night is great. Roast marshmallows, drink hot chocolate while watching a Disney movie under the stars- nothing beats that. Plus the petting zoo and pony rides are fun as well. At night you can watch the water parade from the beach. You will really enjoy Fort Wilderness.

Have fun and enjoy!

ColoradoBelle1 said:

awww i'm sorry that happened to you. but yes they don't have the trailers anymore, just the cabins. that's awesome that they let you switch hotels! gotta love Disney!

There are lots of activities for teh kids around Ft Wilderness from teh petting zoo to the campfires and movies. The pools are boring no slides etc but it is a place to go swimming. I find them to feel like a trailer as that is essentially what they are based on nothing like our cabin up north that the family owns. At night it does get quite dark around the grounds so you will want to carry a flashlight with you. Enjoy your stay.

Jenn31 said:
We have a family of 4 Adults and haven't seen prices for cabins listed anywhere. We're coming down next September. Can someone give us a rough ammount? :bounce:

$239.00 a night plus 11.5% tax!! (Not positive but I think that if there are more than 2 adults in the cabin there is a $5 per night/per additional adult charge).

Love the cabins!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter