Are the birthday celebration pins only for the kids?

Dave_from_Marietta

DIS Veteran
I lifted this from the "<a href="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=418558">Bad DCL experience... Do I need a new hobby?</a>" thread 'cause I was afraid the question might get lost in that lengthy thread.

Originally posted by DisneyCruiseluvr

I also noticed she complained about having to ask for her "celebration" pin because she was celebrating her "X0" birthday at sea. What I have heard and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that DCL only gives birthday pins out to children who are celebrating their birthdays and have discontinued the practice of giving them out to adults. The demand seemed to be too great for these birthday pins and DCL would sometimes run out, so rather than leaving some people empty-handed, they now just present them to children. They probably could've said, "no" to her again (<i>heaven forbid!</i>), but notice that it sounds like she did end up with her pin.
Can anybody comment on whether this is the policy? Thanks.

When I turned forty the first time I got a pin. (2001)
When I turned forty the second time the next year I only got a cake.(2002)
I will let you know in December (2003)when I turn 40 the third time if I get a pin...

Personally I think they should skip the pin and the cake and give out free champagne :)

My sister turned 21 when we went in January 03 and she got both the pin and the cake.

Im turning 46 while on the 11/8 cruise
I will bring my pin from WDW last year - hoping to get the cake - I will share

Im turning 46 while on the 11/8 cruise
I will bring my pin from WDW last year - hoping to get the cake - I will share

If the actual day of the birthday occurs during the cruise, one receives a cake and a pin (Mickey in the middle holding a cake). If one is celebrating a birthday but the birthday is not actually during the cruise, a cake is presented.

We've celebrated a birthday and the day before a birthday and have received cakes both times and the pin for the actual birthday. However, they forgot my birthday pin when they delivered the cake on my birthday. But once my friend mentioned it to them, it was delivered the next morning to our stateroom!

My brother is turning 30 on Sept 25, but we are not cruising until Oct 2. Nevertheless, we would like to celebrate his birthday on board if we could. What do we have to do? Do we have to call DCL ahead of time and let them know? Do they deliver the cake to the stateroom and when would they do that on a 3 day cruise?

Just inform your head waiter beforehand. We try to give them a couple of days' notice. Cakes are presented after dessert in the dining room. (I had my birthday pin delivered to my room because they forgot to give it to me in the dining room). Have a great time!

Hi Dave...our experience on our 1/4/03 cruise was this...our 22 year old neice was with us and her birthday was going to be the day after we got back from the cruise. DCL still presented her with a cake and pin and had half the dining room sing happy birthday to her!!

Then, on our 5/17/03 cruise it was my actual birthday on the day we embarked and I was also presented a cake and pin that night at dinner.

I think it all depends on the wait staff....I don't believe there is any set policy regarding the distribution of b'day pins!!

MJ

Both DH and our friend are having their birthday the same day (9/26) on our 9/20 Magic cruise. Will let you know if they get pins.

The last three years I have been on the Magic for my birthday. First year got a cake, second year a cake and a lovely signed card from the characters and this year 2 pins and 2 cakes! Oh and yes I am 34!!
The reason I got 2 cakes isn't because I am greedy but the day of my birthday a group of DISers had brunch at Palo's and they gave me a different pin and a cake to share. The kiss from Marizo was rather nice as well!
Wendy

My MIL turned "39" (for the umpteenth time) on the inaugural 7-day cruise. She got a cake, but DCL had not yet started giving out pins for birthdays. Several months later, I was able to trade with someone who had a "spare", so MIL is now the proud owner of a DCL birthday celebration pin.

I hope that DCL continues to recognize birthdays for both the young and the young at heart. It would be a shame to discontinue this practice in the name of saving a buck or two.

My birthday was July 1. We were on the Wonder that day. I got the cake, but no pin!!! I didn't know about the pin, but thought it was very special to get a cake.

My wife and I share the same birthday Oct 23rd. When we did the $99 cruise Oct 17th-20th we both received pins and cake even though our birthdays hadn't happened yet.

We got the pin and cake for the 1st anniversary of a 50th birthday.

We told our TA about the birthday on board when we made the original reservation and again when we made the final payment. We also spoke to the waiter a couple days before so he would know who the birthday girl was.

Originally posted by mmouse37
Hi Dave...our experience on our 1/4/03 cruise was this...our 22 year old neice was with us and her birthday was going to be the day after we got back from the cruise. DCL still presented her with a cake and pin and had half the dining room sing happy birthday to her!!

Then, on our 5/17/03 cruise it was my actual birthday on the day we embarked and I was also presented a cake and pin that night at dinner.

I think it all depends on the wait staff....I don't believe there is any set policy regarding the distribution of b'day pins!!

MJ
I really think it depends on your waitstaff. Our first cruise was our 10th anniversary and tigger and pooh (our waitstaff) could not have been happier for us.. made a big deal about it.. our second cruise eight months later was my real 40th bday and it was nice, I got a cake (no candle) and a pin.. and yes it was my actual bday. Cruise number three.. no fan fare., a cake that did not even say happy bday..no pin.. and yes it was my actual bday...but it was fine as I was having the time of my life. I really think it depends on your waitstaff and how they feel about you etc. Our Dec. cruise will actually be the day after my bday but I plan to celebrate it anyhow.. that is why we are going, I give up my christmas and bday gift every year so DH and DS can have a gift of a cruise too.

Last trip the waiter gave both my daughters a birthday pin on the last night, but their birthdays were months away. He just thought they would like one :>)

Last year my DH and I celebrated our 12th anniversary on board and we were both given "I'm Celebrating" pins. DH put his on his safari hat(where it joins his pin collection) and I promptly lost mine. It was just a "button" not an actual Disney pin and I wouldn't miss not having it. I actually thought the cake was a waste of time too as the other deserts on board are so much better.

Why dont I ever open up my mouth?.....We sailed on the 7 nt in
both 2001 and 2002...we celebrated my dd bday on both trips..
on the actual day of her bday....we always got a cake and a song
but never got a pin....oh well....we willl be sailing next year again
on her bday...I am going to ask about the pin....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter