• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are seagulls still a problem?

But, but, but, you have to take into account that these are not Disney birds and squirrels. In a cost cutting measure Disney outsourced their park animals to a 3rd party provider. These are not CMs, so it's not Disney's fault if they don't behave up to Disney standards.

One thing to remember about ANY living animal at Disney World is that you, as a human, are basically in a nature preserve. So, if a seagull or squirrel or ibis (those long legged white birds), ducks, rabbits, whatever, are around - Disney is not going to forceably remove them just because us humans think the animals are a bother. Yes, Disney will remove an alligator but only if over a certain length and then it's to put the alligator to another spot outside the normal property.

Are seagulls a bother? Certainly because they are doing what they need to do - get food. And us humans will give them food. Seagulls can't talk like we do but they can communicate and if "word" gets out that food is to be found, others will follow. Also, birds are habitual. If they know at a certain time during the year, they can get food a X location, they will go back to X location. And if Disney World is X location, they will be back. Simple solution is to not feed the birds or any other animal at Disney World.

But, but, but, you have to take into account that these are not Disney birds and squirrels. In a cost cutting measure Disney outsourced their park animals to a 3rd party provider. These are not CMs, so it's not Disney's fault if they don't behave up to Disney standards.

...great... now they'll be gulls with an attitude :P
Thanks for all the responses, we'll be sure to keep a close hold of our turkey legs. Hey... seagull legs?!?!?! (KIDDING!)

We were there two weeks ago. I was walking in that area with a cookie in my hand and one flew over and grabbed it right out of my hand!

Never noticed seagulls at DW but at Cedar Point in the other hand - yikes! My bird phobic daughter is in panic mode all day. Only bird problem at DW we ever had was getting swooped by parrots. She literally tucked in a ball in the middle of the walkway at AK lol.

The seagulls at CP are horrible, especially in the parking lot.

It's not just seagulls but also those giant stork type birds too. Last month I watched one land on a man's head and steal his pretzel.

Those are Scarlet Ibises

Anyway, OP, it depends on what time of year you visit WDW if there will be a lot of gulls or not.

On our last few trips, about 10 years ago, there was a giant flock of seagulls around Liberty Square that would scavenge food right out of your hand if you weren't diligent about protecting it. Are they still a problem or has Disney figured out how to manage the problem?

YES. They're one thing I notice when I'm walking around Adventureland/Frontierland. I've heard reports of them snatching food out of travelers hands.

Seagulls, ibis, egret ... The ducks tend to be better behaved for some reason.
I had an egret try to take my rib from the table at Flame Tree when I got up to get some napkins ... My friend got him to drop it and I just had to cut away the part that he touched ...

Oh, also, I was talking to a CM near the entrance to the Rafiki Planet Watch train when a ham sandwich fell from a tree and landed at my feet. Don't know if it was a bird or squirrel that dropped it, but I'm pretty sure whoever it was had stolen it from the Kilimanjaro stroller buffet.

The birds at Flame Tree in AK are vicious! I turned to do something and one grabbed the cornbread off the plate! A wonderful CM who saw the bird attack chased them off and got us another piece.

I was on MK on friday and saw a squirrel go into a stroller grab some packaged cookies and walked back into a bushy area. It wasn't runing or anything just like meh I'm hungry I'm going to get myself a snack. and then back home.

Seagulls, ibis, egret ... The ducks tend to be better behaved for some reason.
I had an egret try to take my rib from the table at Flame Tree when I got up to get some napkins ... My friend got him to drop it and I just had to cut away the part that he touched ...
Egret regret...

In may and november we don't see one. But the big white bird Who take a walk with me in may near the castle going to take the breakfast at BOG.

I don't know about the seagulls. Last month at All Star Sports, I watched a boy leave his outdoor table for a moment, and all the black birds swooped down and grabbed every one of his chicken nuggets. Poor little guy just stood there with his mouth wide open. It was actually kind of scary because they started flying towards the other people sitting there and hitting their umbrellas. I don't much care for birds though. :)

...But there seems to be an increase in reports of brazen squirrels entering stroller baskets, diaper bags etc helping themselves. Worse about that is you may not have known a squirrel was in your snack bag and then you go ahead and finish your snack. :crazy2: They have no fear of humans and will walk right up to them.

Oh, also, I was talking to a CM near the entrance to the Rafiki Planet Watch train when a ham sandwich fell from a tree and landed at my feet. Don't know if it was a bird or squirrel that dropped it, but I'm pretty sure whoever it was had stolen it from the Kilimanjaro stroller buffet.

That's what I was going to mention to OP: if you are a family with a stroller, its the squirrels you need to worry about. If you search on these boards (or google I'm sure) you'll find some great photos - I even think there's a video - of squirrels helping themselves to food left in strollers while the owners are in an attraction. Its surprising how brazen and clever they are.

LaurenT: Hilarious!

We always have issues with birds at flame tree. They stalk you and come real close to your table.

Disney is pretty good at trying to control the problem. They have strung wires up at places such as Casey's Corner to prevent the birds from swooping in, and one time in Frontierland I noticed a loud strange call like a bird in distress. Right away, all the birds swooped back to the trees. Of course birds are pretty clever, and they will soon get used to cries of alarm, realizing they are false, so different things have to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter