Are rolling backpacks allowed??

labattblue

DIS Veteran
I have a standard size backpack that also has a retractable handle and wheels if you want to pull it behind you instead of carrying it? Is something like this allowed in the parks?

Thanks!

The official Disneyland Website had this to say...

What items are not permitted within Disneyland® Park, Disney's California Adventure® Park or the Downtown Disney® District?

Items not permitted include, but are not limited to:

Pets (Service Animals are permitted and must be wearing an identifying assistive-companion vest; pets may be kept at the on-site kennel)

Wagons, skateboards, scooters (motorized and nonmotorized), inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, bicycles, motorcycles, tricycles, unicycles, pogo sticks, two-wheeled vehicles, including bicycles and Segway™ Human Transporters

Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (which mirrors the rental stroller sizes)

Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags with wheels

Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags larger than 18"w x 25"h x 37"d (which mirrors the large locker sizes). Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

There is a lot more, but I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make. Sorry to be a bummer. I wasn't trying to be, I was just checking to be sure.

Backpacks, suitcases and coolers with wheels are not permitted. I've seen a family try to bring in a rolling cooler through bag check and they were told to go back and leave it in the car.

Disneyland also says no food or drinks can come in but they allow it, heck right now they are selling rolling duffel bags for $15 with a min purchase, and that's inside the park. We go to Disneyland at least once a month and always bring a rolling backpack or duffel. I have never had a problem, put the bag on your shoulders and take it off when u get to the bag check staff... again I have never been told no. try to bring in a cooler on wheels, thats a diff. story

As long as it is a normal sized backpack you should be fine. I have never had anyone tell me I couldn't use mine (In fact one of the CMs told me it was a great idea).

However I have seen them turn away people who were trying to bring in the big coolers on wheels.

The key is to not be rolling it when you go through security checkpoints.....have it on your back as a regular packpack:thumbsup2

Just don't trip anyone with your backpack. ;) I'd be the type looking everywhere but where I'm walking and would fall over a backpack like that.
That's probably exactly the reason why they aren't allowed, by the way.

Just don't trip anyone with your backpack. ;) I'd be the type looking everywhere but where I'm walking and would fall over a backpack like that.
That's probably exactly the reason why they aren't allowed, by the way.

I would bet that as well.

If you're pulling something behind you, you don't have true control over it, and you don't know what is happening with it. We don't have rolling luggage, we carry our luggage, and watching what people with rolling bags do at airports is really telling!

The official Disneyland Website had this to say...

Wagons, skateboards, scooters (motorized and nonmotorized), inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, bicycles, motorcycles, tricycles, unicycles, pogo sticks, two-wheeled vehicles, including bicycles and Segway™ Human Transporters

DANG IT!!! Well that just ruins my whole trip. :headache:;)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I would bet that as well.

If you're pulling something behind you, you don't have true control over it, and you don't know what is happening with it. We don't have rolling luggage, we carry our luggage, and watching what people with rolling bags do at airports is really telling!

I couldn't survive in the aiport without my rolling luggage! LOL I don't think you can compare a large 50lb rolling suitcase to a smaller backpack on wheels though. Totally different. Not that I think people should bring them into parks. I suspect they would be a big tripping hazard and that is why they are officially on the 'not allowed' list.

I think you all are correct about pulling stuff behind you being the reason it's not allowed. At WDW, I did have a couple of CMs who told me anything rolled had to be rolled in front. That's why it's okay for strollers, but not rolling BP. I pushed it in front of me and no one said anything after that. Again, I haven't tried it in DL. I figured it's so much smaller and compact in DL than WDW, and when we go it's usually peak season so too busy to use a rolling bag.

There was a man this weekend who had one and was pulling it behind him an a CM said he was not allowed to do so. So I'd just bet on having to carry it! :) Rules are rules for a reason!

I'm just wondering why anyone would need that much stuff? :confused3

Well, in 2001 when I went to WDW, my video camera was a lot heavier than the video cameras they make now. (Probably about 3lbs.):scared1: I sure didn't want to lug it all over the park for 12+ hours by myself. Then add to that, photography gear, lenses, etc. Extra clothes for the kid because it is crazy hot in Orlando and humid so you will want to get wet/soaked but then may want change as it gets uncomfortable to walk around with wet clothes. Then add to that snacks for the kiddo, etc. If you are a parent w/ babies you'd need diapers, etc. Bottom line is, it's easier to roll it than to carry it. That's why a lot of people rent strollers too to carry their stuff!:laughing: Strollers take up more space than rolling bags, imo. Again, I haven't tried it at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter