• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

are people wearing masks on planes?

Scrappy Tink

Mouseketeer
I am so afraid of getting sick from plane ride down , those of you that have traveled lately or are going by plane are you seeing people wearing masks or do think that is silly ?

I flew a couple months ago and didn't see anyone on my flight wearing a mask.

I did see a couple people wearing masks at the airport (LAX)..

If it makes you more comfortable to wear a mask then wear one, otherwise take some airborne

If you feel like you need to, then I say do it! At this point, people will understand why you're wearing one so you may turn some heads, it won't be weird.

Most folks aren't wearing masks, but maybe a few. I heard a great suggestion about keep ing your nose moist with vaseline or some such thing. To me that sounds like a good idea.

however, as another poster said, people will probably understand.

I think it's fine if you want to wear them. Who cares if people look at you funny?

However, It won't do you any good. The only way masks help is if the person who is sick is wearing one.

I would try to take some extra vitamin c or Airborne and just be smart about hand washing.

I agree with the others, wear one if you want. I didn't see any on my recent trip on the plane but I did see a few around the parks and didn't think twice about it.

There was a special about airplanes and germs....basically they said to do the following to lessen your risk of getting sick:

1. Do not use the pillows and blankets

2. Do NOt use the restroom...apparently if the Health Dept ever checked these the plane would be shut down. If you do need to use the restroom, wipe everything down with antibacterical wipes. And was with the hottest water possible.

3. Do NOT drink water on the plane....while you may think you are getting bottled water, often times they will refill these bottles with water from the holding tanks which hardly ever get cleaned....I knew EWWW

I think if you feel the need to wear a mask wear it....also they say vit D helps, 1,000 units a day. If you worried I would also possibly wipe down every square inch of my seating area. Good luck!

Zinc and Vitamin C baby!!!! For the entire week before your trip!!!

Working at PHL this week, in "E" concourse, and have yet to see a mask.
Been here for over 8 years, and the only masks i have seen have been on travelers who were immuno-suppressed, such as cancer patients. It was also obvious as to who they were and why they were wearing the masks.

I did not see anyone on the plane or at the airport with masks on. We left for Disney November 7th and used Lysol wipes on the plane. We did not take any other precautions on the flight or even on the vacation and never got sick while we were there or when we returned home! Do not worry about it too much.

Flew on 4 flights this month and did not see any masks. I was very conscious of anyone coughing or showing symptoms and did not hear or see any signs of sick people on the flights even though I was flying into and out of an area where the schools had been closed for a couple days becauser of flu.

I took two flights last week and did not see anyone in masks. Waited at arrivals in Atlanta for two hours last night (long story) and I saw exactly one person wearing a mask. So, you'll be the only person or one of just a few. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then fine! It's all about your level of comfort.

you can if you want.Most people that wear them if they are sick or are immuno-suppressed.But if it makes you feel better have at it.Small helpful hint...before you leave for your flight..Swab the inside of each nostril with a salt water solution, then a dab of vaseline.

We flew last month and didn't see any mask anywhere. We were a group of 2 over 50, 2 30 yo and a 4 yo and 2yo. Went down healthy, stayed healthy, and returned healthy. We all had the regular flu shots prior to going.

We leave next Friday (just the 2 of us -- over 50) and just got our H1N1 shots last week, so we feel pretty comfortable now. We really are happy to get our shots, esp. since we are doing a cruise.

In February, 2008 I flew from Orlando to Philadelphia to visit friends and family in South Jersey. No one around me in the plane was coughing or otherwise exhibiting any signs of being sick. Within 12 hours of my arrival I started to get chills and couldn't get warm. From there it escalated quickly and I was all but debilitated for most of my stay. I had caught the flu, big time.

Now I take Lysol wipes with me and wipe down my arm rests, tray table and anything else I think I might come in contact with--any time of year. If my next flight takes place during the flu season, I'll definitely wear a mask. You should know that you need a special mask, though, not something you would pick up at Home Depot for protection against work dust.

I just was on a flight with my kids and didn't see anyone with a mask...

What I did was before I let my kids sit down, I pulled out my lysol wipes and wiped everything down...the tray table, the arm rests, the seat belts, the seat, the window and ledge and all the knobs/buttons for lights and fan. Then, I hand sanitized my kids and were set. People snickered when then saw me frantically wiping everything down and you could really smell the lysol...but I have kids that get sick easily and wanted to do what I could to try and prevent them getting sick...even if it seems silly.

Everyone is saying that handwashing is key...so keep those hands clean and out of your eyes, nose and mouth and that should help a great deal.

Unless you are going to spring for the N95 masks, it's not going to make much of a difference.

The flu (and most other flu viruses) spread through moisture droplets. This means that you can actually get the flu virus through the mucus membranes around your eyes, this is of course a lower probability, but it still exists. Most of the people you see walking around with masks are immuno compromised (as a previous poster mentioned).

Bring your own bottled water, from a shop past security lines. Wipe down your tray and arm rests. Keep your hands away from your face, and wash your hands often.
Be sure to take a good multivitamin daily before travel and continue while vacationing. My dd and I have been taking a multi plus addtl calcium with D and we haven't gotten sick recently. We don't do the whole zinc thing...doctor told us it wasn't really all that helpful..just to take a multi and stay well hydrated and rested.
As long as you keep those fingers out of your eyes, nose and mouth, you should be able to avoid the worst germs. Way more germs are picked up that way than those that are airborn! Besides, what happens when you get to WDW??? With all those railings and such, it is a breeding ground for germs. Wash your hands often..the best defense against germs.

To the poster who got the flu after flying....12 hrs seems to be a short period of time to show symtoms of the flu. It is much more likely that you picked something up before you ever got on the plane.

Just back from WDW a week ago & saw no one with a mask on the plane(s). I didn't see any masks in the parks either, but did see one woman wearing one at CR. We were a group of 5 & all came back healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter