• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are people at DLR really that rude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, it's legal to use medicinal cannabis in California anywhere it is legal to smoke a cig, except on federal property and in federal housing.

Yup. Maybe I've been living in Norcal too long:hippie: but I would rather have stoners instead of drunks or any other kind of drug user wandering around my kids. Or you know, ideally completely sober people but if I had to pick one...:confused3
My first trip to WDW I was the "rude" one, no doubt. It was our senior trip and we were wild(How I hate teenagers!) I remember getting a scathing look from a parent of a little kid when we ran up to meet chip and dale. We were excited and had no idea there was a line. I only realised this on my family trip 10 years later that people were probably waiting while we just ran up! I thought she was annoyed by our youthful exuberence.:rotfl2:
I'll be extra nice on my next trip to make up for this:love:

Um, it's legal to use medicinal cannabis in California anywhere it is legal to smoke a cig, except on federal property and in federal housing.

If I'm not mistaken, it's also prohibited in places where minors are known to frequent. I'm pretty sure DL would fall into that category.

If I'm not mistaken, it's also prohibited in places where minors are known to frequent. I'm pretty sure DL would fall into that category.

By that logic, parents that are medicinal cannabis patients would have to leave their home to use their medicine.

We just got back from a 4 night stay. The only rudeness we encountered was on Friday, which was grad night. The constant yelling and profanity from the grads was awful. No exaggeration it was constant. On the train ride it was so bad other adults yelled at them to stop. We were line jumped constantly, the most being about 30 people for the Haunted Mansion. We were also pushed several times. The screaming was so bad during the HM ride there were several parts we couldn't hear it. We will never visit during grad night time again.

By that logic, parents that are medicinal cannabis patients would have to leave their home to use their medicine.

The source I derived my information from was specifically talking about public places (the prior post mentioned that medical cannabis was allowed anywhere smoking is allowed - but since the focus was on Disneyland, I took that to mean that everyone here who was discussing it realized we were all talking about public venues). Obviously, a private home is not a public place. ;)

I actually did read, today in fact, that smoking medicinal marijuana is not legal in *public* places in CA known to be frequented by children and teens under the age of 18 (my best guess is that that particular guideline is intended for the purpose of keeping public cannabis smoking away from public school grounds, but it would apply to other kinds of places as well...Chuck E. Cheese and park playgrounds, for instance). So unless I am mistaken in the understanding that Disneyland would be considered a public venue, it would appear as though the rule would apply there.

The source I derived my information from was specifically talking about public places (the prior post mentioned that medical cannabis was allowed anywhere smoking is allowed - but since the focus was on Disneyland, I took that to mean that everyone here who was discussing it realized we were all talking about public venues). Obviously, a private home is not a public place. ;)

I actually did read, today in fact, that smoking medicinal marijuana is not legal in *public* places in CA known to be frequented by children and teens under the age of 18 (my best guess is that that particular guideline is intended for the purpose of keeping public cannabis smoking away from public school grounds, but it would apply to other kinds of places as well...Chuck E. Cheese and park playgrounds, for instance). So unless I am mistaken in the understanding that Disneyland would be considered a public venue, it would appear as though the rule would apply there.

You might be referring to California state regulations that disallow collectives from operating within 1000 feet of youth orientated facilities.

"WHERE CAN MARIJUANA BE SMOKED?
SB420 bars marijuana smoking in no smoking zones, within 1000 feet of a school or youth center except in private residences; on school buses, in a motor vehicle that is being operated, or while operating a boat. Patients are advised to be discreet or consume oral preparations in public."

I guess if I had ever experienced once at any Disney park I would remember it. I have never and so I think this whole issue is overblown.

:cool2:

I'm sure you are right and many people have gone and never noticed it or it wasn't a problem but when you look at 4 pages of people saying yes it is, it is brought to attention and seems bigger.

I have always lived in states that it wasn't legal, medical or otherwise (and in the case of my home state it's legal now but I haven't lived there in 11 years) so I'm just not used to it being out in the open so it surprised me, that's all.

i for one dont think weed should be illegal but thats just me. I agree with the poster who said id rather them be high than drunk.

I dont see how the government is so stupid, cigs, and beer is ok to smoke and drink but oh dear god another plant isn't ok? Please the government takes to much control let the people pick there own vices. (one joint is less harmful then 6 cigs) any ways ill stop now

I do think if its in the smoking area I wont be saying a word to them. If it was down main street or in ride lines. Then I might be saying something to them

Now yes there have been some rude ppl in the parks and I am going to try and not let them the crowds or those with strollers get me mad. But i do remember how painful my ankles were last time when some one did keep running in to them.

Im gona wear tihck socks and hopefully protect my heel more.

Every one here remember this is a busy park and sometimes it cant be as nice as other times. I am sure it will still be fun for us
(4 days) dances

I've found DL park-goers to be a lot nicer than those that go to other parks...say Six Flags, etc. That doesn't mean I never meet a few not-so-nice people, because I have, but my positive experience at Disneyland isn't contingent on everything being perfect. By the end of every trip, I feel content and happy to have spent my time at the park and I always leave planning ahead for my next vacation. :)

Oh, the pot thing. As you can see from my signature, I've been to DL 11 times and I can't recall smelling any weed smoke. ;)

i for one dont think weed should be illegal but thats just me. I agree with the poster who said id rather them be high than drunk.

I dont see how the government is so stupid, cigs, and beer is ok to smoke and drink but oh dear god another plant isn't ok? Please the government takes to much control let the people pick there own vices. (one joint is less harmful then 6 cigs) any ways ill stop now

I do think if its in the smoking area I wont be saying a word to them. If it was down main street or in ride lines. Then I might be saying something to them

Now yes there have been some rude ppl in the parks and I am going to try and not let them the crowds or those with strollers get me mad. But i do remember how painful my ankles were last time when some one did keep running in to them.

Im gona wear tihck socks and hopefully protect my heel more.

Every one here remember this is a busy park and sometimes it cant be as nice as other times. I am sure it will still be fun for us
(4 days) dances

We will be in Disneyland when you are! I get a day and a half to tour the parks alone before my husband flys down to meet me. I think it's going to be a great weekend for Disney magic!!

Let's face it, no matter where you go on vacation it's inevitable that you are going to run into a rude person at some point. The best thing is to shrug it off and not let it ruin your vacation. I've been to DL many times, and only once did I smell wacky tobaccy as we call it. I've met far more outstanding CM's, so they far outweigh the rude ones that we on rare occasions encounter. However if you do encounter a particularly nasty CM, get their name and do report them to city hall, as it's important to know which employees are not up to the high quality of service that DL offers to it's guests. But it's also important to do the same for an outstanding CM that you do encounter, and put in a good word in for them at city hall.

There seemed to be a lot more line cutting and adults who didn't mind blocking the view of a small child at Disneyland. At Disney World most people would offer to stand behind a toddler instead of in front of them at a parade, for example. The CM's also were "just employees" whereas at the World they are "cast members." They were polite, just not as enthusiastic. My teenager pointed that out to me.

have a blast mrs mears and I cant wait i think its gona be a good time all around

You might be referring to California state regulations that disallow collectives from operating within 1000 feet of youth orientated facilities.

"WHERE CAN MARIJUANA BE SMOKED?
SB420 bars marijuana smoking in no smoking zones, within 1000 feet of a school or youth center except in private residences; on school buses, in a motor vehicle that is being operated, or while operating a boat. Patients are advised to be discreet or consume oral preparations in public."

Clearly, you appear to know much more about it than me. Perhaps the source I read was inaccurate, because it specifically mentioned *smoking*, not operating a collective.

As I stated in an earlier post, when we encountered the smell of pot at DLR it was no big deal. I'd rather *not* encounter it there, but no more or no less than I'd also prefer not to encounter cigarette smoke, or people under the influence of alcohol in the parks. As long as people aren't blowing it in my face or smoking it before they operate the rides, then I don't really have much of an opinion on it.

I've lived my entire life related to people who smoke it, and even legally grow it (due to cancer), and although it's something I don't want in my own home or near my kids, I'm loathe to be too negative towards those who smoke pot. On the other hand, my new neighbor who has about 40 plants going at the moment and insists on advertising it to us every time we step outside of our house...him, I could do without. LOL! :hippie:

We're headed out in just more than a week for our first trip to California and DLR. I've done a fair amount of traveling and always had good experiences, but I've been especially impressed with our Disney experiences. On both of our 2 trips to WDW and our Disney cruise, the CMs and just the people in general were so NICE and friendly.

People offered to table share with us in crowded restaurants, people struck up conversations with us in long lines, people shared fast passes they didn't need, etc.

In planning our Cali/DLR trip, I've spent a significant amount of time on the Disneyland section of the disboards, and it seems I've come across NUMEROUS posts where people talk about how rude and terrible people at DLR are--including the CMs! There is talk of line-jumpers, drinking and pot smoking IN the parks, fist-fights or near fights, etc. It's all making me a bit nervous.:confused:

So what do you think? Is the experience at DLR just different? Do I need to change my expectations compared to WDW?

I am from the South where expectations are that people are considered "friendly" so I am judging the people we encountered against that stereotype.:goodvibes

We spent 8 days at DLR a year and half ago. I was so pleased with how helpful and friendly I found the people at the parks were. Most that we met were Californians, many DLR AP holders, and they were more than willing to share conversation and information about the parks that made our trip so much better.

As for the CMs, there just didn't seem to be as many employed there as there are at WDW but we didn't meet any that weren't friendly, we just didn't experience that extraordinary customer service that we usually get at WDW. Because there weren't as many CMs, I think this leads to the line jumping and we did see a good bit of this, but this is becoming more prevalent at WDW as well.

I really hope you have just as wonderful an experience at Disneyland as we did. We can't wait to go back some day.:thumbsup2

We're headed out in just more than a week for our first trip to California and DLR. I've done a fair amount of traveling and always had good experiences, but I've been especially impressed with our Disney experiences. On both of our 2 trips to WDW and our Disney cruise, the CMs and just the people in general were so NICE and friendly.

People offered to table share with us in crowded restaurants, people struck up conversations with us in long lines, people shared fast passes they didn't need, etc.

In planning our Cali/DLR trip, I've spent a significant amount of time on the Disneyland section of the disboards, and it seems I've come across NUMEROUS posts where people talk about how rude and terrible people at DLR are--including the CMs! There is talk of line-jumpers, drinking and pot smoking IN the parks, fist-fights or near fights, etc. It's all making me a bit nervous.:confused:

So what do you think? Is the experience at DLR just different? Do I need to change my expectations compared to WDW?

We have been to the DLR a couple of times. We had a great time. The only time we experienced any problems was on Saturdays when the parks were more crowded with locals. It was very much like WDW the rest of the week.

Clearly, you appear to know much more about it than me.
Perhaps but that is only because my current career path involves reforming medical cannabis laws so that patients in all states have safe access to cannabis medicine. I spend my days analyzing laws, interpretations, policies and legislation as well as provide legal advice for patients, collective operators, dispensary operators and employees.

That being said, I'd rather not smell it in the parks either, or at least not in abundance and not part of the Disney culture and magic. There are many ways to use cannabis without creating a nuisance through it's smell, such as tinctures, portable vaporizers, edibles and topicals.

For the OP, I can't speak for every pot smoker but I honestly don't think that people use cannabis with the intention of being selfish or rude. For many, it's about finding physical or mental relief. I have never smelled pot smoke at either parks and trust me, my nose can tell a skunk from a J-13 hybrid a mile away. ;) I bet you are going to have a fantastic time on your Disney trip and I can't wait to hear all about it :) I specifically GO to DLR because everyone is so nice and seemingly happy!

For the OP, I can't speak for every pot smoker but I honestly don't think that people use cannabis with the intention of being selfish or rude. For many, it's about finding physical or mental relief.

I wonder how much of the marijuana that people on this board say they have seen or smelled in the parks can actually be attributed to medicinal purposes? It seems likely to me that people who DO use it for medicinal purposes are not lighting up in Disneyland!

I love Disneyland. No one was rude at all on our last trip. We've been more times than I can count and have come across rude people. There have also been rude people at Disneyworld too although I cannot remember any from our very first trip there. We've only sailed once, and no one was rude there. One is a small sample size, but sailing is definitely the most relaxing trip of the three. That said, go and enjoy your trip. If people are rude, just try not to let it bother you. My favorite approach to rude people is not to engage (when possible) and not to let them affect my good time. You are going to love Disneyland. It will give you the feel of Disney, but while some attractions are the same, it is different than Disneyworld. Transportation is so much easier for one. Park when you get there and walk everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter