Are introverts more likely to enjoy Disney alone?

LaLalovesWDW

**Disney Diva for Life**
I'm wondering what the other solo travellers and those that would NEVER go to Disney solo.

Not too long ago, I was accused of being "anti-social" so I looked up the word. Definitely FAR from anti-social (which technically means to be against society, or purposely do things that are destructive to society). Nope. not me... :rotfl: However, I am introverted, or as I call it, selectively social. That, I knew. I have not always been this way, but over many years of dealing with a lot of different things with the people I should have been able to trust the most, AND maybe being in the midst of one too many shootings at the club or event, I tend to be extremely picky about who I trust, hang with, where I go, and people I spend time with. HOWEVER, I am fine in social settings. Not shy, not timid, I speak in public all the time, yet... I enjoy activities that I can do alone or with just close friends/family.

Thus, to ME, and those who are similar to me... we can enjoy Disney as a solo traveler. I have heard so many judgements and comments about how they cannot understand why I would do something like going to Disney alone. I'm like "why not?" I met a lot of great people, smiled the whole time Im there and was able to appreciate the parts of Disney that I may not have been able to enjoy with a group.

But I always wondered if someone who is extroverted (always looking for the thrill, or being the life of the party, and enjoying large events) could enjoy spending that kind of time, at Disney, alone and enjoy themselves.

Im not asking for debate or anything, I just wondered if its natural, or if its just a fluke that an introvert like myself could enjoy a solo trip as much as I did.

I think it depends on the person. Everybody is coming to the parks for something, which is generally the parks themselves, to enjoy them as they please. A lot of people are not against being friendly, but not necessarily there to make friends.

I think the Disney theme parks can be common ground for extroverts/introverts because both sides with be friendly and I never heard of a solo extrovert peacocking all over the place. Also, a true introvert wouldn't go to Disney considering you are surrounded by people and people that would interact with you more then say walking down Times Sq in NYC (except for those pesky comedy show wranglers).

Maybe, it's presumption that by going to the "Happiest place on earth" that people should already be friendly. Even though we all had experiences with poorly behaving and rude guests. It's the friendly haze of Disney.

I. Also, a true introvert wouldn't go to Disney considering you are surrounded by people and people that would interact with you more then say walking down Times Sq in NYC (except for those pesky comedy show wranglers).

As the most introverted INFP that ever existed, I disagree. I go to Disneyland several times a year by myself. I have no problem with it. I go in a large group with my friends also, but going by myself is different. I can go where I want, when I want, unfettered by what everybody else wants. The large crowds at the park present no problem for me. I am anonymous at the park, just one of the crowd. I tend to avoid the spotlight whenever I can. It's uncomfortable for me to be singled out. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

As the most introverted INFP that ever existed, I disagree. I go to Disneyland several times a year by myself. I have no problem with it. I go in a large group with my friends also, but going by myself is different. I can go where I want, when I want, unfettered by what everybody else wants. The large crowds at the park present no problem for me. I am anonymous at the park, just one of the crowd. I tend to avoid the spotlight whenever I can. It's uncomfortable for me to be singled out. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

I totally agree with this. :thumbsup2 And feel the same way.

I am very introverted myself and love solo trips, to Disney and anywhere else. It's funny: the more people that are around, the more I feel alone and isolated (WDW, Times Sq are great examples). Everyone is so absorbed in themselves and their families they don't notice you. Which is fine by me! :)

Hmm...not sure. I will say I am an extrovert with very strong introvert tendencies. Rather, I was an extrovert and am slowly turning into an introvert. I just had a semi-solo trip in March, my sister joined me in the afternoons. The mornings alone were wonderful, I dreaded when she would join me in the afternoons b/c I enjoyed my mornings so much.

I think for me, being a wife, mom of 3, having a child with special needs, my other personal obligations and a full time employee it's the FREEDOM of being alone. I can get up when I want, eat when I want, use the restroom when I want. No discussion and no debate-just go! I never lived alone and never have even had my own bedroom-maybe I'm rebelling!

I actually am planning on purchasing an AP next year so I can take mini solo trips and be as introverted as I want to be! :earsboy:

I think you might have a point. I've also noticed that it seems like a higher percentage of solo visitors are only children, and thus maybe used to being alone and entertaining themselves than the percentage of only children in the general population. Now I'm sure there are exceptions, but it just seems that way.

LaLa, you know me. . .there is not an introverted bone in my body. Yet I still love going to WDW (and now US/IOA) on my own. I can do what I want when I want and meet new people as I choose. . .I love it. However, I still prefer to hang with others when there. . .I love sharing my love of the mouse with others. They get it when they see the mouse through my eyes. . .

I have always looked at people who can travel by themselves as more socially secure and self-content than people who require a pack to go anywhere.

I'm very much an introvert and have made several solo trips to WDW. It's not about being unable or unwilling to interact with others - I'm a teacher, even! I just use up all my "people energy" at school and with my own children. At WDW I enjoy random conversations with cast members and other guests - but don't *have* to talk to anyone if I don't feel like it. I think it's because I am responsible for so much in "real life" (single mom, only child to an elderly parent, teacher of middle schoolers) that it's a truly relaxing experience to have others care for me; I can recharge and face my regular daily life with new energy.

DD, OTOH, can't function outside a group. If she is not with friends or her BF, you can see her wilt. She has fantastic people skills! She also would rather cut off her own toes than go on a vacation alone.

...Not too long ago, I was accused of being "anti-social" so I looked up the word...
LaLa, I'm not sure you're an introvert, either. Let's go through your original excercise:

in·tro·vert [n., adj. in-truh-vurt; v. in-truh-vurt]
–noun
1. a shy person.
2.Psychology. a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings (opposed to extrovert).
Sounds like you're more of an what some call an outsider - you don't engage in group-think or need group approval, but welcome and engage with other humans on a selective basis. I think that would cover a lot of us. I'm not a fan of any kind of activity that depends on a lot of people following a leader or a theme simultaneously, but like you I revel in the discussion of subjects I love with like minded individuals.

Face it, girl: you are special.

I am loving all of the responses! I didn't even think about a lot of the great points you are all bringing up.

LaLa, I'm not sure you're an introvert, either. Let's go through your original excercise:

–noun
1. a shy person.
2.Psychology. a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings (opposed to extrovert).
Sounds like you're more of an what some call an outsider - you don't engage in group-think or need group approval, but welcome and engage with other humans on a selective basis. I think that would cover a lot of us. I'm not a fan of any kind of activity that depends on a lot of people following a leader or a theme simultaneously, but like you I revel in the discussion of subjects I love with like minded individuals.

Face it, girl: you are special.

hahaha... well, thank you. I am definitely not shy, but you are right that I don't base my plans or activities on what a group is doing. Some people can't stand that about me, but oh well... special is a good word for those of us like that.
:love:

I am one of those totally-extroverted, never met a stranger kinda person who really enjoys being the life of the party and, at times, the wallflower. As I get older, I found that I really enjoy doing things by myself and am finding that I don't need to be with a group of people to enjoy activities that I like - especially Disney. I've gone with a large family group (15+) and by myself and can honestly say I prefer going by myself. I do what I want, ride everything that I want to as many times as I want to (rode HM 5 times in a row!), take a nap if I need to... and most especially eat when and where I want to.

I'm even planning on a trip this fall for the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Just two or three days on my own - and in the Spring I'm headed down with the family again...

I just think it depends on the person and how comfortable they are in their skin.
:wizard:

I think you might have a point.* I've also noticed that it seems like a higher percentage of solo visitors are only children, and thus maybe used to being alone and entertaining themselves than the percentage of only children in the general population.* Now I'm sure there are exceptions, but it just seems that way.

I will totally agree with your percentage of only children being solo visitors. I'm an only child and I LOVE spending time alone at the park. Mind you that doesn't mean I don't enjoy meeting up with my friends and spending the day or days with them. but in the end, when it's just me and the fireworks and the magic...it's totally awesome...mostly because of all the freedom I have.as for introvert vs extrovert....I would have to say I'm an introvert by nature, however, due to my career, being a sorority babe and the multiple speaking tasks I do, I've had to become an extrovert.

I used to go to WDW by myself all the time when I lived in South Florida and loved it! It's nice to share the trip with someone, if you have someone you are completely comfortable with and who doesn't wear you down. I can recall a few times where the person/people I went with started grating on my nerves after a day or so, and that is soooo much worse!

When I go by myself, I get to choose what to see and what to skip, I can take a break whenever I want, I can set my own schedule, eat wherever I want, etc. A solo trip can really be satisfying!

Usually, I bring a small book or something with me so I'm not bored silly while standing in line. Another idea is to get a Hidden Mickey book and search for those if you are stuck in line for too long (you might end up involving your neighbors in the search, too).

I'm an introvert and will probably be going next summer (or spring since it will likely be cooler then). I'll be going with my family but I honestly think I probably would enjoy it more alone, as my family overwhelms me more than crowds do. If I'm alone I can go away and rest for as long as I like, but when I'm with my family I have to go wherever they go, and it's exhausting. The fact that they're always fussing and making everything way more confusing and complicated than it needs to be doesn't help either. If they could at least learn to take turns talking, that in itself would be a big improvement. /offtopicramblesorry
So I can't say for sure since I haven't been (this will be my first Disney trip ever), but I think that introverts would enjoy it more going alone, since they wouldn't have to placate other people by doing what they want to do. I'm just speaking from experiences traveling to other places and I can't imagine WDW being much different.

–noun
1. a shy person.

The second definition is correct as there is a difference between introversion and shyness. An introvert is a person who gets his energy from being alone, whereas a shy person is a person who is socially anxious; afraid of what other people think of him. Extroverts can be shy too.
I'm shy myself so unfortunately I'm only adding to the stereotype...

I'm a pretty hard-core introvert (meaning I need a lot of alone/me time, and social interaction can be exhausting) and an only child, so I suppose it's no surprise that I :love: my solo trips. :)
I think that one of the great things about going solo is that there are loads of people to have conversations with if you're in the mood, but there is no requirement to do so if you're not. You get to spend as much time as you want in your own head and taking care of your own needs.

I can also see how an extrovert might enjoy a solo trip as well. After all, there are all those new people to socialize with!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter