are hoppers really needed?

pmaurer74

DIS Veteran
We are getting 5 non hopper day tickets and staying onsite. I figured we would do three days at one and two at the other. I have read not to cut expenses on this but I plan to do morning and evenings at the park and taking a break in the afternoon. I think we would save $150.

We always hop when we go, but I suppose if we couldn't it wouldn't be the end of the world. We tend to start in one, go to the other for the afternoon, go back to the first at night... They're so close we're just all over the place. I guess we're fickle. :)

Our family loves being able to hop. It's just the way we've always toured the parks. I would feel restricted without them! If money were tight I'd save someplace else, and get the hoppers, especially if I was going to be there for five days.

If you're unsure you can just get the nonhoppers and upgrade if you feel the need to.

Because of the proximity, I think hopping is a must. My daughter and me have AP's and last time my husband came, he only got a 2 day, 1 park per day ticket. It drove me nuts not being able to walk back over to the other park like I normally would. Its definitely not like WDW, it's so much more convenient to walk 200 feet or so to the other entrance.

Well taking the breaks in the afternoon would be one reason to not park hopper. But what happens is that, as a veteran visitor, Disneyland becomes crowded by 11:00, so time to walk over to Grizzly run, get wet, take in Crush and then head back to lodging. I enjoy Grizzly every day and it is part of the reason why I return To the parks. Disneyland is still crowded upon early evening return, so time to take in evening DCA and then head over to Disneyland and close the day. But the bottom line is that you do not have the decades of connection to Disneyland, no traditions and not entering it every day is not a problem for your visit. So your plan is great. Plus you have 5 mornings.

We didn't think we'd utilize them so much the first time we stayed onsite and sprung for the option but boy did we ever! We tour like you, morning-break-night and we found ourselves hopping back and forth because it is just SO convenient. Of course it is possible to tour without hoppers, but they enhance a long trip a lot, especially by day 5 when everyone wants to hit their favorite thing one last time. There is a reason that most everyone says "do not skimp on this".

We are getting 5 non hopper day tickets and staying onsite. I figured we would do three days at one and two at the other. I have read not to cut expenses on this but I plan to do morning and evenings at the park and taking a break in the afternoon. I think we would save $150.

No they are not necessary. :) We had four days during our last trip and didn't hop. I know the parks are very close and hopping is easy but from my son's math, and yes he really did this, he figures we spend about an hour each time we hop from the time we leave until getting on another ride. I find we enjoy the parks so much more if we just stay put. For years we missed out on some great things because we would hop back and forth doing mostly the highlights. When we don't hop, we get immersed in the magic and get to really explore. To each his own and I know I am in the minority. We have APs this year so we'll have the option but I doubt we'll use it. pixiedust:

This past trip was the first time we actually hopped every day. Part of it was crowds (I would call otto to find out wait times and we'd go to the park with the shorter lines for the attractions the kids wanted). It actually worked really well. But, you can always upgrade if you change your mind once you get there!

I agree that hoppers aren't necessary, but I find that they are well worth it for my family (and the others groups I've gone with). The two parks are less than 110 yards apart; you can see the ticket gate for DCA from inside DL and vice-a-versa, so it doesn't really take a lot of time to hop. I've found that my family and groups tend to spend the morning in one park (usually the one without MM/EMH) and then hop to the other park in the afternoon or evening. I like that hoppers give you flexibility in terms of what to do and when to do things. It also gave us more chances to do the rides we wanted on multiple days. For example, one of the kids really like RSR (favorite ride), so we would get FPs for it in the morning regardless of which park we were starting at (if we started in DL, then someone would be the runner to get the FPs). That meant she could ride RSR daily, while her little sibling was happy running around Bug's Life Land and Fantasyland. So, while they are not necessary, I would highly recommend getting park hoppers, especially on multi-day trips.

No they are not necessary. :) We had four days during our last trip and didn't hop. I know the parks are very close and hopping is easy but from my son's math, and yes he really did this, he figures we spend about an hour each time we hop from the time we leave until getting on another ride. I find we enjoy the parks so much more if we just stay put. For years we missed out on some great things because we would hop back and forth doing mostly the highlights. When we don't hop, we get immersed in the magic and get to really explore. To each his own and I know I am in the minority. We have APs this year so we'll have the option but I doubt we'll use it. pixiedust:

And that is an hour that i would miss to explore Main Street if I didn't have to hop, so not really a wasted hour. so park hopping allows me to see different hours on Main Street. so much happens on main street and I would miss it If i spent one day in an entire park and not walk down the street during the day and use the train only to exit the park

I have to hop. DCA is not enough for us to spend one full day there. We start there do a few things, grab fp for a ride and woc then we hop. We don't do just rides we do shows and take in everything the parks have to offer but most of dca to us is not as fun. I would never go with out hoppers.

I do not believe hoppers are necessary. One can *easily* spend an entire day in either of those 2 parks. I think if you concentrate on just one park, you will feel more relaxed and be able to embrace all that each park has to offer. When hopping, it is easy to miss the little things and dash for that next E-ticket!

I personally like hoppers just to escape the crowd. But no, not necessary.

What time of the year and day of the week are you going? That may help. For awhile, There's more to see and do in DL. But parade crowds are unbearable. We escape to DCA and it just feels more open. We often find ourselves taking a breather and relaxing at DCA.

I would also ask if you are rope drop to closing type of guests? I see in your signature you're planning on going in June. By then the parks are operating on their summer schedule, which means long hours (e.g., 8:00 am to 10:00 pm or midnight) even on weekdays. It also means full nightly entertainment (with the new parade, fireworks, and WoC shows, plus Mad T Party, F! and whatever else they add). Another reason to consider park hopping is that DCA usually closes around 10:00 pm, but DL remains open until midnight. So you can "hop" over to DL after DCA closes and get in another ride (or two) or maybe even see a late showing of F! (assuming they're doing one this year).

If you feel hoppers aren't a necessity, give the non-hoppers a try.
Once you are there, if you see hoppers would be worth the extra money, you can always upgrade.

Upgrading is a nice option to have available.

We have found it's never a problem to spend the full day in DL. The grandkids will do all the little kiddie rides in DL, even though their ages range from 11 to 20yr old. My DGS-20 really enjoys all of the Fantasyland rides. He said it always reminds him of his very first trip to DL when he was little. Good Times!
However, DCA is a different story. They say they have out grown Bug'sland for the most part and aren't interested in Redwood Challenge. We can spend a good portion of the day in DCA but at some point we always end up hopping over to DL.

We always go for a min or 4 days in the parks. On our last day we always hop. Hoppers give everyone one last chance to do their favorite thing.

See what works for you.

Geemo

This is essentially what we're doing. Spending full, individual days in the parks. I think park hopping for me takes up quite amount of time. When rides/shows are closer, I'm not walking as far or taking up time just walking. I'm not a fast walker either so there's that. (I use a cane and have weakness in my legs.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter