Are hiking poles allowed?

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
We’ll be visiting Cozumel and Progreso with the Magic in January. Doing preliminary review of possible excursions to Mayan ruins, I see that some of them say “The terrain at the ruins is rough and uneven and is not recommended for those with walking difficulties.” Are collapsible hiking poles/trek poles allowed on those excursions, to help steady us on rough surfaces? Neither of us needs assistance with walking in general, the poles would be to help with balance on slopes, etc. TIA!

This is the link to prohibited items. I haven’t read to see if they’d be allowed or not.
Thank you! I don’t know how long it might have taken me to discover that list. Very helpful! And our hiking sticks do not seem to be on it.
We saw several people with them on the Dream on our TA last month. Some of them can fold up compactly for your luggage.
Thanks! Ours telescope down to about 24” and fit diagonally in our suitcase, so we should be good. Having them would make it more feasible to book the tours we’re most interested in.

I have a set very much like that, but bought some Black Diamond z poles. They fold in thirds, take up so much less room, and are very sturdy. I liked them so much that I upgraded everyone’s for our upcoming Hawaii trip. We are doing the first mile or so of Kalalau. Well I am. The kids might do the full two miles down to the riverbed/beach. Did that two years ago…it was a lot and I was in better shape then.

I have a set very much like that, but bought some Black Diamond z poles. They fold in thirds, take up so much less room, and are very sturdy. I liked them so much that I upgraded everyone’s for our upcoming Hawaii trip. We are doing the first mile or so of Kalalau. Well I am. The kids might do the full two miles down to the riverbed/beach. Did that two years ago…it was a lot and I was in better shape then.
Thanks. We don't do enough hiking to justify replacing the ones we have! As long as they fit diagonally in one of the suitcases, we're good.

I used them on the EBTA in 2019 and did not take extra tips...then in 2023, I remembered them! They wear thru with all of the walking we did...a spare pair is always great to have with you! :)

I used them on the EBTA in 2019 and did not take extra tips...then in 2023, I remembered them! They wear thru with all of the walking we did...a spare pair is always great to have with you! :)
Oooh, thanks for the suggestion - I need to find ours!

When we hiked to pulpit rock last year many people showed up with them. The cruise director kind of made fun of them. I wish I would have had them. I’m a runner, but I don’t do a lot of hiking. I’d never heard of them. They look like they make hiking up and down steep hills a lot easier.

When we hiked to pulpit rock last year many people showed up with them. The cruise director kind of made fun of them. I wish I would have had them. I’m a runner, but I don’t do a lot of hiking. I’d never heard of them. They look like they make hiking up and down steep hills a lot easier.
Not only do they make hiking easier, they also make it less strenuous as you need to spend less overall energy on balancing. And they are a great safety device.

No need for any cruise director making fun of people using them on a difficult hike up to pulpit rock... It’s like making fun of people wearing seatbelts.

Consider that on a cruise ship that you will only be hiking where 50 million or more other cruise ship passengers have already hiked. The path is going to be well trampled! Any excursion from a cruise ship is not going to be that difficult or long of a hike where hiking poles might be worth the trouble.

-Paul

Just got off the Wonder 2 weeks ago. We took a set of hiking poles with us. The telescoping kind that fits diagonally in a suitcase (REI branded Komperdells). No issues as far as being able to bring them onboard and they were attached to our camera backpacks for our (independently booked) excursion. If you think they'll help you feel more confident and secure on a walk, definitely bring them. What may seem easy to some is strenuous for others for any number of reasons and if the poles help, definitely bring them.

Consider that on a cruise ship that you will only be hiking where 50 million or more other cruise ship passengers have already hiked. The path is going to be well trampled! Any excursion from a cruise ship is not going to be that difficult or long of a hike where hiking poles might be worth the trouble.

-Paul
This isn't true for everyone, some people use them for going up and down curbs, unlevel sidewalks, rocky paths. They are certainly "worth the trouble" for some people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter