• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are drinks really not included??

I bought the Royal Replenish package on our cruise on the Liberty of the Seas in November. It turned out it was really not worth it for me. There is not a freestyle machine on that ship. It was really difficult to get sodas and bottled water. Bartenders always acted aggravated when I asked for a bottle of water or soda and gave them my card. At the MDR, I always asked for a soda but only actually was served it a couple of nights (even after reminding our server). The fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast in the dining room was always warm so it wasn't even worth getting.
If I am paying over $100 for a package, something as simple and cheap as soda and bottled water should be a little easier to access.

Couple questions:
Is ice tea that does not cost extra sweetened or unsweetened?
How much do sodas/fresh juice/premium coffees cost per glass/can/bottle?
Do the ships carry Coke or Pepsi products?
How is the free coffee? Is it gross like Nescafé?

I haven't cruise RCCL for a long time, but I did not like the watered-down fountain soda included in the package. I much prefer cold cans with fresh fizz.

Couple questions:
Is ice tea that does not cost extra sweetened or unsweetened?
How much do sodas/fresh juice/premium coffees cost per glass/can/bottle?
Do the ships carry Coke or Pepsi products?
How is the free coffee? Is it gross like Nescafé?

iced tea is unsweetened. there's sweeteners on the table or you can ask for them. (i prefer real southern sweet tea myself, so i don't drink the iced tea onboard, but i've tasted it and it's not bad if you are ok with unsweetened tea.)

sodas are about $2 or $2.50 at a bar or dining room. I think the fresh OJ is more - maybe $3 or $4. Coffee drinks vary - i get frappuccinos or similar and they are about $4, depending on the size and type. Virgin mocktails (like pina coladas) are also $4. if your ship has the coke freestyle machines, there is no way to purchase soda by the glass from them - you can only use the machine if you have a package that includes soda.

royal carries coke products. About a half dozen ships have the freestyle machines; the others have coke, diet coke, and sprite available in the dining rooms and bars. Sometimes you can also get ginger ale at the bars/dining rooms - may depend on the package you have, and/or your server/bartender.

I don't drink coffee (other than frappuccinos), but i've heard the free coffee is pretty bad.

iced tea is unsweetened. there's sweeteners on the table or you can ask for them. (i prefer real southern sweet tea myself, so i don't drink the iced tea onboard, but i've tasted it and it's not bad if you are ok with unsweetened tea.) sodas are about $2 or $2.50 at a bar or dining room. I think the fresh OJ is more - maybe $3 or $4. Coffee drinks vary - i get frappuccinos or similar and they are about $4, depending on the size and type. Virgin mocktails (like pina coladas) are also $4. if your ship has the coke freestyle machines, there is no way to purchase soda by the glass from them - you can only use the machine if you have a package that includes soda. royal carries coke products. About a half dozen ships have the freestyle machines; the others have coke, diet coke, and sprite available in the dining rooms and bars. Sometimes you can also get ginger ale at the bars/dining rooms - may depend on the package you have, and/or your server/bartender. I don't drink coffee (other than frappuccinos), but i've heard the free coffee is pretty bad.

I really like unsweetened ice tea so that's great and I don't like coke products so a soda package would definitely not be good for me.

I think an alcohol package would be better for us. Anyone know how the prices run?

I really like unsweetened ice tea so that's great and I don't like coke products so a soda package would definitely not be good for me.

I think an alcohol package would be better for us. Anyone know how the prices run?

Hopefully this link works:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

The "select" package which includes beer, and wines up to $8, is $35/day. the "premium" which includes beer, wine up to $12, and cocktails up to $12 is $49/day. the "ultimate" for $55/day includes the premium package plus the "replenish" package, which is the non-alcoholic package that includes specialty coffee, virgin mocktails, fresh juice, and bottled water. they all include soda, whether you want it or not. :goodvibes

Keep in mind these prices are pre-gratuity, so when you purchase the package, around 15% will be added to the price. i usually buy the replenish package (with the non-alcoholic specialty drinks) which is listed as $19/day, but ends up being more like $22 or $23/day.

Also, if you buy an alcohol package and then onboard purchase a drink that's more than the limit, like if you have a premium package but want a wine that costs more than $12/glass, you would just pay the difference. So if your wine is $14, you'd just pay $2. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work - not all the bartenders know and sometimes try to charge you the full price, but it seems like they have been mostly re-trained and seem to know how it works now.

Last year on board the Jewel, they served Seattle's Best coffee. At least that what they claimed.

Ooh how and where?

Become a member of CruiseCritic.com and look for where you sign up for the Meet & Mingle. Then once onboard, we will all be invited to the party and get to meet each other. :) you can also go on the Roll Call area of the board and search for Liberty of the Seas, and our sail date, and start talking with people who will be on our cruise.

Thinking of jumping ship. We are going on our 4th Disney cruise in April, but we feel we have run our course with DCL unless we try out European cruises, not in the budget just yet. So thinking of trying out RCCL for next Feb. Since my kids will be 7 and 6, I feel starting with a DreamWorks cruise is important.
So Royal Refreshment, is that soda of any kind anywhere or is that only on the ships that have the freestyle Coke machines? Also, if the ship has the freestyle machines ( thinking of going on Allure of the Seas, does it?) are they in multiple spots or just near the pool deck like DCL? And I read you can bring soda on board with you, what else? Anything non-alcoholic? Also, what are the prices of driks, wine, beer, mixed, can I find these online somewhere?

Thinking of jumping ship. We are going on our 4th Disney cruise in April, but we feel we have run our course with DCL unless we try out European cruises, not in the budget just yet. So thinking of trying out RCCL for next Feb. Since my kids will be 7 and 6, I feel starting with a DreamWorks cruise is important.
So Royal Refreshment, is that soda of any kind anywhere or is that only on the ships that have the freestyle Coke machines? Also, if the ship has the freestyle machines ( thinking of going on Allure of the Seas, does it?) are they in multiple spots or just near the pool deck like DCL? And I read you can bring soda on board with you, what else? Anything non-alcoholic? Also, what are the prices of driks, wine, beer, mixed, can I find these online somewhere?
The Royal Refreshment gets you free soda at any place that serves soda. That's at a bar, restaurant (specialty or MDR), or freestyle machines. I believe the Allure has the machines in the Windjammer and on the promenade.

As far as bringing drinks on... you're technically only allowed to bring two bottles of wine per cabin on board. However, many people have had luck bringing on a small supply of soda or water. Sometimes you can put a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter, sometimes you have to carry it on with you. Sometimes they don't allow any. It depends on the port an time. Depending on when you're going in April, they may be stricter since it's spring break time.

DW & I took a six pack of pepsi bottles and a six pack of water bottles, put them in a duffle bag and handed them to the porter before going on Oasis in 2013. Yes, we got called to the "naughty" room, but were allowed to keep our liquids.

For prices, try here: http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Anyone thinking of trying one of the adult beverage packages, DH & I had the Ultimate package when we sailed Allure for Thanksgiving 2013. The packages were braaaaand new then. We LOVED it! The convenience alone was worth every nickel! We got into the habit of anytime we were headed back to our room we'd stop by a bar to get a bottle of water for each of us. We filled our refrigerator quickly which was fabulous. I think we may have gotten close to the break-even point over the week between what we consumed vs. what we paid. The bottled water may have tipped us to the good. The value for us was truly in the convenience. Our bar tab was completely prepaid before we ever set sail = no wincing when we get the final account statement at the end of the week. Loved not schlepping any liquids onboard.

I only wish Disney would offer this type of thing! We're thinking more and more we'd like to hit Oasis in the fall. You can bet your bottom we'll sail with the Ultimate package again!

Do you buy the package for the full time of the cruise or can you buy it for last few days etc?

Do you buy the package for the full time of the cruise or can you buy it for last few days etc?

When we got the beverage package in late 2013 (over a year ago) we bought it for the entire cruise well ahead of the sail date. They do still have tables, kiosks, etc. out on embarkation day to add beverage packages. I want to say they were out at least until the end of the 2nd day selling the packages. We took advantage of our adult beverages a LOT sooooo...little fuzzy beyond that....LOL! I know there's a point where they stop selling them. Maybe the 3rd or 4th day? When you buy the packages I don't remember there being an option to specify a number of days.

Wish I had a more difinitive answer for you. Honestly, I know it's a lot of money. I remembered looking at it when I was thinking about adding and I was sooooo shocked by the size of that $$. I was thinking, "No way. Just no way." Read a lot on CC from people who had used the packages. One lady who cruised solo kept a running tab of what she ordered, when she ordered it, what the price would've been, then did the math against the cost of the package. It seemed like she was drinking a LOT and still coming up around break-even. In reading she said many times how she tried something she wouldn't normally consider because she could. I thought that was an interesting twist to consider. One thing DH & I love about our Disney cruises is Mixology and the opportunity to try different things we wouldn't normally spend on. Lots of people also said they didn't feel like they quite drank as much as they paid for the package but I didn't see one of those people say they regretted having gotten the package. None of them said they made a mistake. They all said the convenience made it worthwhile. That's how I feel. I didn't keep a list or a tally. On the 7 night cruise I know at least 1 day we drank NO alcohol and a couple were only a few drinks each. But, we also had days where I know we beat the house on the tally. In all, it comes down to that convenience. There is a value in convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter