Are dessert parties worth if for Halloween parties?

freshstart19

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are going to our 1st Halloween party on Aug 20th. I booked a Not so spooky spectacular dessert party with plaza garden viewing for the fireworks but am wondering if it's more important to book a party with a guaranteed parade view. We really would prefer the early parade but the additional dessert party is for the 2nd one. We also rather not eat so late. Does the dessert party really add to the experience?

I don't think they're worth it at the party. I did a dessert party at a normal night and found it well worth being away from the crowds. When I did the Halloween Party we easily walked up to see the fireworks. It's not as crowded so you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot.

Unfortunately, if you want to do the first parade and the dessert party, the timing is really tight. The first parade starts at 9:15 pm which is the exact same check-in time for the garden party, dessert portion of the event. We've done the HEA and MNSSHP/MVMCP parties a number of times and we really enjoy them. I'm actually contemplating this same dilemma this year. My plan, if I book the plaza party is to check in for the party and get our wristbands earlier in the evening (we were able to do this at 4 pm last year), stake out a parade spot on the Tomorrowland Terrace side of the hub or Main St. and then high tail it over to the terrace to get a few desserts before heading to the garden. The downside is we won't really get to relax and enjoy the desserts for very long. I guess the only other downside will be if we arrive at the garden and discover our party was so sparsely attended that we didn't need to pay for the party, LOL! We will be at the party on Aug. 27 and I am going to wait on reports from the first few parties before I bite the bullet and reserve the party.

Thanks for the replies. Is it more difficult to find a good viewing spot for the parade or the fireworks? l almost booked the Cruella event for parade viewing but don't want to wait to eat so late and that event is tied to the 2nd parade. I've never booked any dessert party and this year I also booked a ridiculously expensive dinner at the Royal Table on our last night which includes fireworks viewing and a dessert party. I think it's new this year. That's a surprise for my daughter.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the first party goes and what tips are offered. I may just have to stay for the 2nd parade which won't be as crowded from what I"m reading.

Thanks for the replies. Is it more difficult to find a good viewing spot for the parade or the fireworks? l almost booked the Cruella event for parade viewing but don't want to wait to eat so late and that event is tied to the 2nd parade. I've never booked any dessert party and this year I also booked a ridiculously expensive dinner at the Royal Table on our last night which includes fireworks viewing and a dessert party. I think it's new this year. That's a surprise for my daughter.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the first party goes and what tips are offered. I may just have to stay for the 2nd parade which won't be as crowded from what I"m reading.

It's not difficult to find a spot for either - it's more about how much time you want to commit to staking out and saving your spot. The issue with the fireworks this year is, it's a new show and no one really knows yet, what the sight lines will be. In years past, with Hallowishes, you really could, IMHO, watch the show further down Main St. (close to the entrance/exit) and still see a good part of the show because the projections weren't all that impressive. If they change the show this year to include any projections that are on par with HEA, then being in the Hub or one of the gardens will be your best bet for viewing. If you think your DD can stay up late, I would consider opting for the fireworks garden dessert party and then, immediately after the fireworks, sitting down somewhere in the hub or on Main St. to wait for the second parade. If I thought my DS11 could stay up for the second parade, that's what I would do.

On another note, there is a thread on here discussing the new CRT dining/fireworks dessert party package with a new review stating that, in the future, they would book the CRT and dessert party components separately. I don't know if that's a possibility at this point, but it might save you a little money.

The first parade starts at 9:15 pm which is the exact same check-in time for the garden party,

I know you know this and probably just got them turned around, but just FYI for those reading along, the Plaza Garden Viewing dessert party check-in starts at 8:45pm, the Tomorrowland Terrace Viewing dessert party check-in starts at 9:15pm.

We're going to the garden party on October 24. It will be our first party and first dessert party! Our plan is to enjoy the desserts and fireworks then make our way to find a good spot for the second parade.

It is the first year for the new Halloween fireworks at the parties so I think there's some uncertainty on how crowded it will be in the hub. Since the new fireworks are supposed to be heavy on the castle visuals (like Happily Ever After) then most will want to view them from the hub - the old fireworks it didn't matter so much. It's hard to figure out until we see what crowds are like.

In the past I've gone to the 2nd parade and found a good spot without any problem. I wouldn't pay extra just for 2nd parade viewing if that's the only reason for booking an event.

The dessert party is a relaxing way to take in the fireworks show without having to worry about staking out a spot or being in a large crowd. The desserts themselves are also fun/Halloween themed. That being said, it does take out a chunk of your party time and does mean you miss the first parade. I have only ever done this when parade viewing was included and that made it well worth it for me. I have this booked again this year, but I am doing 2 MNSSHP, so I'm not that concerned about losing out on anything time wise.

The Cruella's hideaway with parade viewing is the other option and to me, a guaranteed spot for the parade without having to wait is well worth it. This event is new, so I can't comment on value, but it sounds really cool and I like that it's drop in whenever and however long you want for the duration 3 hour duration. I have this one booked for our 2nd party.

If I were doing just 1 MNSSHP and wanted to choose one add-on, I would do the parade viewing one. To me, location for that is more important and you aren't sacrificing as much of your MNSSHP time as you would with the dessert party.

Thanks for the additional replies. My DH is not a fan of "staking" out anything for a long time and the parade viewing does have me concerned. I'm liking the logic proposed on the Cruella party. I think I did make a mistake in my description of the fireworks viewing party. I booked the Disney Not So Spooky Spectacular Party with Plaza Garden Viewing. Since that is at Tomorrowland as well as the other fireworks party, I got totally confused. I read Garden viewing was better for the fireworks. Was I right on that front?

Since we are doing the Royal Table fireworks party in conjunction, I will probably switch to the Cruella party. BUT, since that covers the 2nd parade, is it really necessary? I've read that the 2nd parade is not that crowded. I'm going to the August 20th party so maybe it will be less crowded being so far from Halloween..... I really appreciate the help.

I'm going to the August 20th party so maybe it will be less crowded being so far from Halloween..... I really appreciate the help.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t necessarily underestimate the ability of these August parties to really bring in the crowds, as illogical as it seems. For one, the early parties are cheaper, there are CM/AP/DVC/military discounts, etc. As you get later into party season, ticket prices go up (in some cases materially) and discounted nights are less abundant. Ticket prices have a tendency to spread demand around for some.

Secondly, since they started doing the mid-August parties last year, it opens up MNSSHP to a whole slew of August travelers who might not have been able to enjoy MNSSHP in the past due to not being able to travel more into the fall (school schedules or what have you).

A good time can still be bad at the most crowded of parties, but I wouldn’t take it for granted - read up and have a good plan of what you want to do.

Sorry, that was more opinion than you wanted!

Thanks for the additional replies. My DH is not a fan of "staking" out anything for a long time and the parade viewing does have me concerned. I'm liking the logic proposed on the Cruella party. I think I did make a mistake in my description of the fireworks viewing party. I booked the Disney Not So Spooky Spectacular Party with Plaza Garden Viewing. Since that is at Tomorrowland as well as the other fireworks party, I got totally confused. I read Garden viewing was better for the fireworks. Was I right on that front?

Since we are doing the Royal Table fireworks party in conjunction, I will probably switch to the Cruella party. BUT, since that covers the 2nd parade, is it really necessary? I've read that the 2nd parade is not that crowded. I'm going to the August 20th party so maybe it will be less crowded being so far from Halloween..... I really appreciate the help.

There’s a royal table party this year or that was offered in the past?

We’re really debating keeping our garden party reservation too. My husband wants a good view of the fireworks, but the timing and it being somewhat off centered from the castle has me concerned.

Plus we have an ohana reservation on a party night and we will be able to watch there. We’ll just go to the lounge if we get a crappy table.

We’re really debating keeping our garden party reservation too. My husband wants a good view of the fireworks, but the timing and it being somewhat off centered from the castle has me concerned.

Just FYI, the Plaza Garden Viewing version of the party is just about as much of head on view as you can get. Great views of the castle, projections, and all fireworks. The Tomorrowland Terrace Viewing version of the party is the one that is “off center” with (what I consider) an inferior view.

That may have been what you meant, just making sure.

Just FYI, the Plaza Garden Viewing version of the party is just about as much of head on view as you can get. Great views of the castle, projections, and all fireworks. The Tomorrowland Terrace Viewing version of the party is the one that is “off center” with (what I consider) an inferior view.

That may have been what you meant, just making sure.

Oh that is good to know. Thank you!

We did a party a couple years back for the Christmas. I was disappointed because I felt it took time away from the party, and I didn't get my money's worth because I was torn between the 2. As someone else said, though, it would probably be worth it on a regular non party night. Since they don't display any projections on the castle (for the Halloween party - someone correct me if I'm wrong), you can see fireworks from just about anywhere. I'd rather have a better parade view. We did Tony's for one of the last Electrical parades and it was amazing! We were in the hub looking down main street, and stayed for the fireworks also. Great view!

ETA: I just googled it and it seems they have new projections on the castle this year. If it is worth it to your family, I'd say go for it. For us (this trip no kids) we want to party! - plus this is our only MK day

Last edited:
Since they don't display any projections on the castle (for the Halloween party - someone correct me if I'm wrong), you can see fireworks from just about anywhere.

FYI, there are new MNSSHP and MVMCP fireworks shows this year that will feature a heavy protection element, similar to HEA. Normally I would agree with you that the “Hub premium” is less for the MNSSHP and MVMCP shows, but things may be a bit different this year with these new shows.

My son did the plaza and he thought the view was great. Only downside was there was someone standing in front of him and the family and they stood to see but the people behind them were mad because they were standing. For Christmas, we did the Terrace. It rained, but they had the fireworks anyway. My take: Off center, you had to stand (people stood in front of us) and the view was obstructed by both the overhang and some trees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter