Are crowds tolerable at WDW during Christmas break?

BOOKWORM1966

Earning My Ears
Would like to travel to WDW Dec 27-Jan 2. How unbearable are the crowds? We would really like to spend New Years Eve at WDW.:confused:

Imagine the crowds at Times Square--and multiply that by 10. We'll never do it again. Some folks enjoy it but we went to the MK on 12/26/04 and we were literally elbow to elbow with other people everywhere in the park--not waiting in line but just trying to walk. And there are not only lines for the rides but also lines for CS meals, the bathroom, the snack carts, the stores.

If you go realizing this and are not focused on necessarily doing things in the parks but more on decorations and events, then you could enjoy it. We stayed for 2 weeks--the first week was fine but the week of Christmas we just did a lot of stuff at the resorts.

We are planning on going the week of Christmas (12/25-30). We have never been during this time before and are prepared to face a nightmare!!! However, knowing what to probably expect should help our patience level. We have been during July 4th so we know a little bit about what to expect only at that time you also had to deal with the heat!!!! We are still looking forward to a much need family vacation.:yay:

We've been during that time on a couple of occasions and found that it wasn't so bad that you couldn't enjoy yourself, especially in larger parks like Epcot it's really not as noticeable. We also found that while there were alot of people wandering around the wait times weren't terribly bad.:wave2:

I guess it matters what your tolerance levels for crowds is. To me, it is, indeed, unbearable. My frustration level outweighs my enjoyment, I'm sad to say. But you may be more tolerant and really have a fantastic time! I hope that's how it works out for you!

Ride lines are long! If you're there for the decorations, the shows, the parades...the magic...then it's a wonderful time.

We've done it three times.

I've been at Easter time and it's comparable, but IMO crowds could never be bad enough to make me not want to go. It's WDW and I'll go whenever I can, no matter what time of year.

We're teachers so we can only go during Christmas or the summer (DH and I have different Spring Breaks.) We've been both times, and I can't stand the heat (migraines) but loved it at Christmas. Sure the crowds are heavy, but we got up early and took advantage of the EMHs. If you don't want to do that, then this might not be the best time for you. It got to be wall to wall people by 12:00!

I've been at Easter time and it's comparable, but IMO crowds could never be bad enough to make me not want to go. It's WDW and I'll go whenever I can, no matter what time of year.
I've been both at Easter and NYE. NYE was much worse than Easter/Spring Break. If you go on NYE, you need to pick a park in the morning and stay there until you are ready to leave and go back to your resort. We did go to DHS both times we were there on NYE and did no attractions, except for the third Fantasmic that night. We arrived about 4PM and stayed until 1 or 2AM. DHS did not get as busy as Epcot and MK which can close to guests earlier in the day.

MK and Epcot will both close to all guests during Christmas week a few times a day. And if you are an offsite guest who is driving, you are the first one closed out of the park.

If this is your first trip to WDW, be prepared to be totally overwhelmed with the crowds. I'd never recommend a first trip for this time of year.

what do you mean that mk and epcot "will both close to guests a few times a day"during christmas??? i've never heard of this. please explain so we can be prepared when we go in december. thanks!

There's levels where the park closes to certain guests. If you search the boards you can find an informative post by ChesireFigment who explains all the levels of park closing.

I totally forgot that I was at MK for NYE my junior year of high school, 2000, and we got to MK at 9am and stayed until 1am. We were staying at CBR and both the resort and park were PACKED!!!

Ok so here's a question for all of you who have done X-mas time.....How are the late extra magic hours?? When we were there last May we did the late hours and stayed until close (2am I think) at the end there was no one there:thumbsup2 . We are planning to go next Christmas and just hang-out at the resort during the day and head to the parks for the late hours. Is this doable?? Or is it just as packed?? With my DD going into 8th grade she can't miss that much school anymore:sick: so we either go during the summer or at christmas time.
We are all night owls so staying up late is nothing even for my youngest who is 3.
Thanks,

We've done Christmas week twice. It was fine, as long as you get up and open the park you're going to for the day. By noon, every park is crowded. Hit the big attractions early and save the lesser ones and show for later. Make dining plans well in advance if you want a TS restaurant.

nelle: I think they end up being 12-3. But more people equals more crowds. We do better with the 7 am EMH hours. We opened the MK on Christmas 06 and managed to be in the fisrt Space Mountain car-made my son's day! I'll get up early any day if it means a short line! Different strokes, I guess!

There are so many other times to go when the crowds are manageable and service isn't either impossible or rushed that we will never go during high season again. Last year we went the first week in December and enjoyed all of the decorations, festivities, and were able to eat at our favorite places. If you go Christmas week it is a whole different trip and that is what you have to plan to have going in. Some people wouldn't miss the experience of being there at Christmas. We decorated our room (nicely and gently) and exchanged Disney Christmas decorations we had purchased earlier in the week to make it feel like Christmas and had ball.

Just know it is listed as one of the busiest times of the entire year. If that doesn't concern you, go for it. As a mild claustorphobe, I would never ever do it if I could avoid it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter