Are carry-on questions regarding flights?

LisaDisney

Earning My Ears
I am driving to the boat. I can bring whatever liquids I want on the boat, right? I'm getting confused by the threads regarding checking in, etc.

There have been some changes to what is being allowed in the checked luggage and there are restrictions now on the size and quantity of boxes that you can ship ahead. These are the updated rules that MarkRG (one of the Moderators) just posted on another thread:

PLEASE read this carefully before asking questions.

First, a general rule.

There are no restrictions on toiletry items either in carryons or in checked luggage, your shower gel, shampoos, sunscreens and the like are quite safe in either. If you pack them in checked, I do suggest placing them in a resealable plastic bag of some kind to protect from leakage as there is a lot of luggage and it's not handled very delicately to get it onboard in a timely manner.

Carryons:

Carryon rules have not changed. No hardside Igloo-style coolers. NO ICE. A rolling softside cooler bag full of the beverages of your choice is acceptable as long as it can go thru the airport style scanner they use at the entry to the terminal. The small rolling check luggage airlines allow is your guideline on size. Your carry on can contain other foodstuffs, they cannot require any food prep from the kitchen. Just be reasonable on what you bring is a good guideline. Also be aware there are drinks and snacks available for sale in the terminal.

Boxes:

You can ship one box per stateroom, of a size in line with a recordkeeping box, 12 inches on a side is a good guideline, no more than 20 lbs. Full instructions that you are required to follow are in the DIS DCL FAQ post stickied at the top of the forum.

Checked:

This is the biggest change folks. No water/liquor/sodas/other foodstuffs in the checked baggage, either bulk or single items. Yes, that includes checking cases of beverages with the porters. If you want to bring it, you'll need to bag it up and carry it on yourself per the carryon rules above.

I hope that's simple and clear enough for everyone.

Well, actually I read English very well. Here is my confusion and my original question. Do we have to check in luggage on the boat? And if so, why? That doesn't make sense to me. Don't we just take it to our staterooms? If that is so, where does the carry-on luggage go on the boat?

Maybe your misunderstood my original question, in which I stated that I was driving to the boat, not taking a plane.

Well, actually I read English very well. Here is my confusion and my original question. Do we have to check in luggage on the boat? And if so, why? That doesn't make sense to me. Don't we just take it to our staterooms? If that is so, where does the carry-on luggage go on the boat?

Maybe your misunderstood my original question, in which I stated that I was driving to the boat, not taking a plane.

Your luggage gets left with the porter before you go to check in. Most people bring a small carryon with thier meds,swimsuits,liquor,etc. You have a bit of time to waste before going to your stateroom....
you're not allowed in them until after 1:30.

I am driving to the boat. I can bring whatever liquids I want on the boat, right? I'm getting confused by the threads regarding checking in, etc.

Sorry, nothing in your original post on this thread asked about bringing your "luggage" on the ship and no one was implying that you can't read English. The "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS" was cut and pasted from another thread on the subject...it was not directed towards you. That is why it was in a different font color, to distinguish it from the rest of the post. Posters were just pointing out the newest info on bringing LIQUIDS onboard...because that is what was in your question.

The real question is why would you WANT to bring your own luggage onboard instead of leaving it with the porters. 99% of the people (on the 7 day cruise) just take carryons onboard with them and check the rest of their luggage. A larger percentage of people may be able to fit all their stuff in carryons for shorter cruises, but I doubt too many. Depending on what time you get to the ship you would have to keep your luggage (any any carryons) with you until your cabin opens up at 1:30. If you board after 1:30 then you could go right to your stateroom. Again, most people like to get on the ship as soon as they let people board, around 11:45 or so....they like to start the vacation as early as possible and enjoy the ship as much as possible.

Plus, and more importantly, whatever you carry onboard MUST fit through an x-ray scanner (same size as the ones at the airports)....if it does not fit through that you must leave it with the porters. But, if you think all your luggage will fit through the scanner, then you certainly could bring it all onboard with you.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Thank you so much for being considerate and polite and trying to answer me!:love:

This is my first cruise, and although I expected a security check, I had no idea that there was a size requirement for the luggage that we take on the boat. We were just planning to bring 3 humongous suitcases and roll them with us. If big suitcases need to be "checked" by porters, that is a different story entirely. I was confusing the "checked baggage" term with checking in baggage on an airplane, and wondered if there were restrictions on me also. I'm sure I'm not the only local in SoCal to go on the Mexico cruise, so this question may come up a lot in the next couple of months.

Sorry for being a newbie.:flower3:

Sorry, nothing in your original post on this thread asked about bringing your "luggage" on the ship and no one was implying that you can't read English. The "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS" was cut and pasted from another thread on the subject...it was not directed towards you. That is why it was in a different font color, to distinguish it from the rest of the post. Posters were just pointing out the newest info on bringing LIQUIDS onboard...because that is what was in your question.

The real question is why would you WANT to bring your own luggage onboard instead of leaving it with the porters. 99% of the people (on the 7 day cruise) just take carryons onboard with them and check the rest of their luggage. A larger percentage of people may be able to fit all their stuff in carryons for shorter cruises, but I doubt too many. Depending on what time you get to the ship you would have to keep your luggage (any any carryons) with you until your cabin opens up at 1:30. If you board after 1:30 then you could go right to your stateroom. Again, most people like to get on the ship as soon as they let people board, around 11:45 or so....they like to start the vacation as early as possible and enjoy the ship as much as possible.

Plus, and more importantly, whatever you carry onboard MUST fit through an x-ray scanner (same size as the ones at the airports)....if it does not fit through that you must leave it with the porters. But, if you think all your luggage will fit through the scanner, then you certainly could bring it all onboard with you.

Hope that helps answer your question!

You'll want to go ahead and "check" in your big roll on bags with the porters at the port. Pretty much everyone checks in their bags, it is just how it is done for cruises. It would be mayhem if everyone brought all of their own bags on board...and you'd never get an elevator. ;) It is a service that is actually pretty awesome and runs like clockwork for the most part. You will want to tip the guys at the port, they work hard moving all that luggage around. The bags will arrive at your room sometime before dinner. On my last cruise they arrived around 3:30, I think the latest I have gotten them was 5pm. Of course, it all depends on when you check in as well. Remember to have everything in your carry on bags that you will need until your other bags arrive...bathing suits if you want to swim, sunscreen, etc.

And then when you leave...actually the night before...you get your bags packed (except for a couple of small bags with your necessities and previous night/day clothing) and put them outside your door between 9-11pm. The bags will be waiting for you at customs, nicely arranged by stateroom location. You can grab them yourself and go through customs or there will be porters with carts ready to assist you. It makes for a very smooth disembarkation.

Hope that helps a little bit, I know it is confusing when you are a first time cruiser. And yes, most of the threads here talking about checked in bags, are talking about checked in at the port, not the airport. Definitely read all of the info, as there have been some changes. There are definitely not the same restrictions as airport luggage, thank goodness! Your "carry-ons"...what you will bring through the terminal and xray yourself...do need to be a certain size and the restrictions have been noted as above. Really, it is not as crazy and difficult as it sounds. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

By the way.....
lifepreservershadowbox5.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter