• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are car trunks big enough for scooters?

mollybeasley

Mouseketeer
I'm planning to get a scooter if I need it (but I might be OK). I have to order my rental car soon. I'm planning to get a full-size car. I wanted a minivan but it costs 3-4 times as much as a car.

Are car trunks big enough to hold a scooter? Have you found that some makes are better than others? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a van? We have 5 adults (though one is skinner than most children).

Also, if there are some scooters that are easier to get into car, please let me know.

but I would opt for a town car or larger cadillac if it's cheaper than a van.

Scooters come in different sizes. Some are quite large and heavy while others are light weight travel scooters. The smaller the scooter the lighter it is and easier it fits into cars. Some complain the smaller scooters are not as comfortable like less room for your legs, as well as, the seat is not as good as the bigger models.

You might want to consider renting a scooter from the parks, if you can get by that way at the resort, etc. It's more expensive that way, but then you might manage with a smaller car.

The Pride scooters seem to fit well in most cars.

If you are renting a travel scooter, which is designed to be taken apart, it should fit in the trunk of a full sized car just fine. Be sure to ask if the battery can be recharged without being connected to the rest of the scooter. That way, you can leave everything else in the trunk and just take the battery pack back to your room to recharge.

Typically you take off the seat and front basket, if any, and remove the battery (which will be a neat contained pack, not like a car battery). Then you unlock the tiller and fold it down. Finally the chasis usually breaks into two pieces: the smaller rear end (which will be the heaviest piece because it contains the actual motor) and the front end with the tiller (the largest piece but not as heavy). You should get instructions on how to break it down and may want to practice taking it apart and putting it together a few times in your room.

Other ECVs are not designed to break down. The seat back and tiller may fold down, but they don't come apart. They are typically larger and may have a longer range between charges. Heavy duty scooters (for people over 250 or 300 pounds) are usually of this type. If you have one of these, you will need a van or SUV -- it will not fit in your trunk.

I have a large heavy duty scooter which can go inside the trunk of my car but it is a Lincoln Town Car. I have rented them in Vegas and was able to get the scooter into a mid size car but that was luck I think. I would call the scooter rental place and ask them how big the scooter is. Tell them that you plan to travel with the scooter in a car trunk. Sometimes you will be able to get all but the seat in the trunk and have to put that inside the car. With 5 adults, I don't think that will work for you. A luxury car might be the trick.

I have a Pride Celebrity-X, which is a very common ECV for rentals. Previously I had a Ranger Solo, which started its life as a rental.

I had no problem putting the Solo in a Ford Taurus.

Since I have a lift on my Edge, I don't worry. But when traveling with an ECV and renting a car I will use a Cheverolet Impala and it will pretty much fill up the trunk.

:hippie:
if you are renting a travel scooter, which is designed to be taken apart, it should fit in the trunk of a full sized car just fine. Be sure to ask if the battery can be recharged without being connected to the rest of the scooter. That way, you can leave everything else in the trunk and just take the battery pack back to your room to recharge.

:hippie:

If you rent a scooter from an outside company they will deliver it right to your resort. Then you do not have to worry about fitting it in the trunk of a car.

we just got back and made sure we rented a mini-van due to the large amount of space that a broken down scooter takes up. i would not rent a car, even a full size car, to carry a scooter around as i don't believe it would work. if you get a mid-size SUV that will work but the space will be less then with a mini-van as that is what we rented previously.

If you rent a scooter from an outside company they will deliver it right to your resort. Then you do not have to worry about fitting it in the trunk of a car.

You do if you plan on driving to the parks (or anywhere else where you'd like to use the scooter).

I think it all depends upon whether you are also going to try and put other things such as luggage in there.

I have a Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus 3 wheeled scooter that fits into the trunk of a Ford Fusion, but it takes the whole trunk. This time we will have a Sebring convertible. The whole scooter may not fit in the trunk, but there is only two of us and we aren't going to be hauling luggage in there. We are taking ME to the resort and then going to the Car Care Center and picking up our car after dropping everything else off at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter