• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are all conventions held at CSR?

pstepka

DIS Veteran
A friend of mine is going to Disney in March with her husband for a school board convention. She is trying to plan her trip now and wants to add additional days onto their vacation. However, she does not know yet where they will be staying. Is CSR the only resort that holds conventions?

Pam

My company has held meetings and conventions at the Swan/Dolphin. We have a Starwood contract and these are two popular hotels for fall/winter meetings.

There are convention facilities at the GF, CR, YC, Swan, Dolphin and CSR. Most of the people that I know of who have gone to conventions at WDW were at the Dolphin.

It's just the "cheap" conventions that go to CSR ;)
The Dolphin and Yacht Club have by far the largest convention facilities, each about three times larger than CSR or CR.

I have no first-hand knowledge of convention facilities at WDW or verification of what I was told, but a Guest Services rep at the Contemporary told me this past August that Coronado Springs has the largest single convention room but the Contemporary has the greatest total square footage for conventions of the WDW resort hotels (don't know if that included the Dolphin or not).

Take it for what it's worth.

According to web sites,

GF has 40K sq ft of meeting space.

CR has 90K sq ft of meeting space.

CSR has a about 95K sq ft total meeting space, including a single ballroom of 60K sq ft.

YC has 273K sq ft of meeting space.

Swan/Dolphin (mostly Dolphin!) has 329K sq ft of meeting space; the largest ballroom is 56K sq ft.

I was able to confirm most of your numbers at www.swandolphinmeetings.com and www.disneymeetings.com. By the way, the Boardwalk Resort also has 20K sq ft for meetings.

There was a disconnect on the Y&BC info though. The website says they have 73K sq ft of space, not 273 sq ft as you state.

And in Spring 2005, CSR will be adding an 86K sq ft exhibit hall.

Holy cow on that 329K sq ft at S/D! :earseek:

Are they comparing apples to apples? For example, the CR 90K is exhibit/lobby/registration space (as far as I can tell). Is the S/D counting every last available molecule to boost their total? I mean, basically the S/D has more convention space than all the Disney hotels combined the way the numbers are presented by the websites. The numbers are just so out of whack. Maybe it's just focus of purpose?

I don't know why I even bothered looking into this. I have no vested interest, have never attended a convention at WDW and, quite frankly, don't really care who has the most convention space. Besides the fact that it's a bit off topic. I guess I was just curious to confirm/deny what I was told at the Contemporary. Guess I was being sold. Official Disney properties don't even come close to the S/D convention facilities.

My Yacht Club info came direct from the official Disney site at
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wa...ngfacilitiesindex?id=YCHTMeetingFacilitiesMtg

HOWEVER I admit I was shocked at this number and I would not at all be surprised if 73K was correct. I do not think the YC facilities are anywhere near as large as the Dolphin.

The Dolphin Convention Center IS huge, but no doubt they have added everything including the bathrooms to get 330K sq ft. They did specifically say 111K sq ft of "exhibit space", but they may well have a whole bunch of space in other categories that isn't suitable for exhibits, e.g. meeting rooms.

CSR lists 95K of "total meeting space" so I have to assume that includes everything (so far).

Right now it probably is true that no single Disney facility is in the same league as the Dolphin.

We're going with a convention in May and it will be at the GF. In 1999, they had it at CR. The 1996 convention/election was at the Wyndham Palace, which was also very large (though I don't have any number so I can't say how big).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter