arcades? $?

huckster

DIS Veteran
i think i remember seeing it goes on your room key? can i control how much the kids spend? or is there unlimted use thing you can purchass? do the kids carry there own card for this? thanks

You have to purchase an arcade card at the Quarter Masters from a machine. They have $5, $10, $20. So you can decide what amount card they can get. But they can do it also if they have charging privelages on their KTTW card.

We were on the Wonder April 18th.

When you enter the arcade, there is a machine to your left. You swipe your KTTW card through it and then hit a button for $10, $15, or $20. A card then comes out with that much money on it.

Be careful - while I was there two people unknowingly put their KTTW cards into the games instead of arcade cards, only to have them eaten. They had to call guest services to come get their cards back.

Some games I remember:

Ocean Hunter $1.00
Spider Stomp $0.50
Air Hockey $1.00
Big Chioce Crane $0.50
Police Trainer $0.50
and about 10 more games.

YOu also have to be careful to keep the arcade card separate from your KTTW card. DS's KTTW card had to be reprogrammed several times because it wipes out the magnetic code.

Games vary anywhere from .50 to 1.00 for the better ones. I think most were .75 and 1.00. If your card gets below the amount for a game guest services can transfer the remaining quarter or two to your new card.

Just an FYI, you can also get cards at Guest Services
Barbara

If your kids like to arcade and you let them charge to the KTTW card, make sure you check your charges often to make sure all of your spending money is not into the arcade -

there is no way to limit the charging
Barbara

We just got off the Wonder on 5/2. The arcade cards are exactly as the wog said - the cheapest is $10. When DD decided she wanted to play in the arcade, I swiped my KTTW card into the machine and got a $10 arcade card, but unfortunately it wouldn't work in any of the machines - we kept getting a message that the card was expired. By this time I had to get her to a kids program, so I went to guest services and they told me the computer system was temporarily out of order. I had to go back 1/2 hour later for them to put the $10 on the card - they don't refund the cards. Unfortunately we never had a chance to use the card at all, so we now have a $10 souvenir Goofy arcade card.

Call me a cheapskate, but I am not a fan of the arcade. First, why would I want to spend $$$ on a cruise, then use my time doing something I could do at the local mall? Second, for only a bit more than the one-shot-and-your-money's-gone games, I could buy a Gameboy to keep.

For those who just got off the boat, were the games decent? I am hoping they have been upgraded in the past 2 years as we were disappointed in their condition:Pinkbounc

:tongue:Think like a nine year old boy! Although we will be doing all the great cruise stuff, he is truly excited about playing playstation on the big screen in the kids club and having a card for the arcade! Each of us has our own way to veg. Mine is in a chair on some windy deck, my dd's is by shopping, my son is by a screen of some sort. Unlike WDW, the ship allows for this downtime and break from too much family togetherness.:earsgirl: :earsboy:

for those who have recently cruised, were most games working? were they in good condititon? 2 years ago a lot of games were closed for maintenance

I don't like arcades, but my kids (of course) love them. I get them each a $10 on their birthday (we always sail on their birthday--twins). That is it. I think it is a waste of money, but it is their birthday.

I guess you can't use 'quarters', right? You have to use the cards?

DJ

Originally posted by MrsPete
Second, for only a bit more than the one-shot-and-your-money's-gone games, I could buy a Gameboy to keep.

My girls each have Gameboys and Playstation II consoles but they would much rather go to an arcade. I guess it's just not the same. When we cruised in March we tried to limit how much we spent by buying the arcade cards ourselves rather than letting our DD buy them but we still ended up spending $90 there. It's just something we factor into our "entertainment" spending. We buy drinks by the pool, they buy arcade games. The result is the same, you end up with nothing to show for it!

westjones - you are correct no quarters..... so you can forget how much you are spending... :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter