Aquarium of the Pacific

steves1bear

Mouseketeer
We're heading to Disney in May and we have one possible extra day. We are looking at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Does anyone have any experiences here? We were wondering if it's an opening to closing kind of place or something that can be done in a morning or afternoon. How far is it from Anaheim to Long Beach?

Oh, we'll have a car and we'll be staying in Anaheim the entire time.

Thanks!

I work there as a volunteer. It's a nice place to spend a couple hours to a half day, with a shark touch pool, a ray touch pool, and an otter exhibit. They are setting up a new penguin exhibit which might be open by May.

There is also a dolphin and whale watch boat (I think it's about $30 or so) next to the aquarium that takes a 2 to 3 hour tour. May is in between the blue and gray whale season.

It's about a half hour or so from Anaheim to the aquarium.

I'd say three hours or so would be about right, depending on how much you linger or shows you might want to catch. It's a really nice aquarium.

One note: food there is really pricey and very crowded around lunch -- maybe time it to eat before/after your visit and eat nearby. There's a nice shopping/ dining area across the street.

PHXscuba

Thank you both so much. It sounds like the best plan might be to go when they first open and then leave around lunch time. It's good to know about the food and crowds during lunch. Definitely want to save some money on food if we can. My kids are going to love the touch pools. It seems like a perfect place for us.

Thanks again! It's just the information I needed!

My ds15 and I can usually spend 4 or 5 hours there.
Last time we ate at Bubba Gumps across the street, first time there and loved it. My DS is a big Forrest fan.

If you have an Entertainment book check online to see if there are printable coupons. The San Diego book usually has them. At $25 or so to get in it's great to have a 2-for-1.

A few years ago we went here and had fun. Takes 3 hours or so to go through it. At that time they did have an inexpensive boat ride that went out to the break waters. Once there, they dropped a large bucket to the ocean floor and then pulled it back up filled with sediment. They then let kids sift through it finding scores of ocean critters that live in the sediment. Seems to me it took 1 or 2 hours for that but not sure if its still offered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter