April Showers Won't Stop the Mighty Ducks!

I've been slacking lately... BIG TIME! I need to kick my butt in gear!

Numbers for April 1- April 7 (I think I finally figured out when to submit totals! haha)

5 miles
145 mins

What a beautiful day today! Good day for roofing even:)

This morning I had to go to traffic court, and as it was so nice I decided to bike there. Made great time, 20 miles in a bit over an hour. Still had to pay a fine, but no points at least. And i got a nice ride in!

And as I had a day in court, how about a quote? "I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits?"

What a beautiful day today! Good day for roofing even:)

This morning I had to go to traffic court, and as it was so nice I decided to bike there. Made great time, 20 miles in a bit over an hour. Still had to pay a fine, but no points at least. And i got a nice ride in!

And as I had a day in court, how about a quote? "I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits?"

We are on day 2 of the roofing experience. Woohoo! Unfortunately, it is not going to be done today, and they are talking about rain tomorow and Saturday. :headache: I guess we'll see how watertight the part that is finished is, huh?

Sorry about the ticket, but yay for the nice ride! Maybe you would have done better if you had My Cousin Vinny there to represent you.

Erica I don't think anyone ever got your quote either and I am going to have to confess, I can't remember it. (Although it sounds like something that should be in my autobiography.:rotfl2:)

Augie You must be flying on that bike to be getting a ticket!!!! At least you got it taken care of. Hope all is well up North!

Jenn I have taken some stuff called Osteo Bi-Flex. You can get it at Wal-Mart. I never felt much on it so I didn't stick with it. But I believe that I didn't take it long enough to get a continous result. My Dad takes the stuff everyday and has for a long time and can tell a difference so it does work. (Hope that is what you were looking for.)

Well, gang. I have 2 more days before running along the race track. I feel like I am ready but I have to say that I am a bit nervous too. There is supposed to be a spot during the race that we will be running at the top of the track. That is a pretty steep incline.:scared: Anyone that has watched Nascar knows that is a 33 degree banking and it is actually a 9 story fall if one was to slip. (Mommy! Hold me!:lmao:) I will probably not be on the computer tomorrow as I am going to try to go to bed early but I will post a race report this weekend.

Have a great Easter everyone!
Bryan

Hey, Team!!!

Bryan, good luck on your race! Running on the racetrack will be so cool!!

Y'all...I'm so sorry....sort of a LTO week, so I just now updated the spreadsheet...mostly. Still waiting on some posts (where did some people go? boohoo!:sad1:). Including myself...because I can't find my training plan from the last couple of weeks.
Need to, since I've raced the last 2 weekends...woohoo for double miles!

Still need to factor in the cumulative totals on the spreadsheet....and I'll make another name column, too, so we don't have to scroll back and forth.
We're doing awesome! It's spring, and time to get outside and MOVE! :)
:cheer2:

Beautiful day today, so I'll head outside a little later and soak up some sunshine. :goodvibes
Happy Easter!

Wow, it rained all day here today. Glad it finally stopped. Hope your roof is done, Erica! Bryan, good luck at your race tomorrow! Happy Easter, everyone!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to do a quick post and let you know that the race is over and I did PR. I missed my goal time by about 6 minutes but I will take it. Guess I have to right? Anyway, I finished in 2:51:17. That is almost 9 minutes off of my last race and 16 minutes faster than what I did at Disney.

I will post a RR a little later but just wanted to drop by.

Thanks everyone!
Bryan

PS Tricia, how was your race today at the Bull Run? We miss you around here!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to do a quick post and let you know that the race is over and I did PR. I missed my goal time by about 6 minutes but I will take it. Guess I have to right? Anyway, I finished in 2:51:17. That is almost 9 minutes off of my last race and 16 minutes faster than what I did at Disney.

I will post a RR a little later but just wanted to drop by.

Thanks everyone!
Bryan

PS Tricia, how was your race today at the Bull Run? We miss you around here!

Congrats bryan! can't wait to hear more about the race! and that's def the info I needed about the supplements. i'll do some research about that stuff :)

Hey everyone! Happy Easter!! Here is my RR for yesterday.

The race was actually a late starting race compared to most (like I have done a lot) of the ones that I have done. It didn't start until 8:30 am. I arrived at the track at about 6:45 and started looking around for a familiar face. It didn't take long for me to find a couple of friends. (Whew) So we found out where the starting line was, which was at the beginning of the pit entrance, and then started doing some stretching to get ready. Finally, it is race time and they tell us to corral up and we are off. There are only about 450-500 runners here today so I try to make my way into the middle of the pack at the start.

I get off to a pretty good pace for me as I jog the first mile an 10 minutes. I am feeling good about that but I know how my body is as it takes me about 3-4 miles to loosen up. So here I am and my calves are starting to get that tight feeling so I decide to walk for a little. We go around turn 1 at the track and out turn 2 heading down the backstretch. (I feel like I am calling a NASCAR race.) As we head towards turn 3, we are forced up the track to the outside where the fence is at the top. Here I stop for a moment to stretch my calves a little more. This is also a moment that I had a racewalker go past me. She looked at me and asked if I was ok and of course I was, just a little tight. No biggie and I continue on. I keep walking and jogging a bit and reach mile 4 at about 56 minutes. I am off my pace so I started jogging more. I got to mile 5 at 1:05. The next 4 miles was almost completely jogging, except as I was going uphill. That still wipes me out so I walked up the hills. We had rounded the outside area where they park the campers and came back down the entrance drive to the track and headed back into the track area. Went up the hill and ran thru the concession stand area. This was miles 7-8 and I was feeling really good. I wasn't winded, cramping or anything. We continued to run right on the outside of the track thru mile 9 and then we headed down the tunnel that takes you inside to the track and infield area. This area killed me. The tunnel was downhill and it propelled me into a flat out sprint. I went from jogging a 5-6 mph pace to sprinting about 12 mph and feeling like I was going to fall at any second. Shortly after this, I started to cramp badly. Calves, hamstrings and quads were all knotting up and I was wanting to stop. I thought I would be able to stretch it out a bit so I stopped but that really didn't help any so I kept on. I would try to jog a little here and there but I had lost my step and knew that my personal goal was slipping away. I took another Gu jel to see if that would help and tried to block it out. Started to jog a little more thru the infield area as we headed back out to the track. We made another 3/4 lap on the track and then I was able to see the finish line. Right at mile 13 was a cameraman taking pictures and I told myself that I wasn't going to walk in front of the camera or to the finish line. So I started a slight and painful jog passed him and they announced my name over the PA system. Here I am at a place that I have been to many times as a kid to watch the races and my name gets announced over the PA. That was exciting so I turned it up just a little. Finish line is here and I cross at a new PR of 2:51:17. I was a little more than 6 minutes off of my goal but I will train better and harder for my next race and I will beat it!!

But I was still able to PR and I finally broke the 3 hour mark. This race was almost 9 minutes faster than the Mercedes back in February and 16 minutes faster than Disney. I am very happy with it.

The only thing that was a little disappointing is that there wasn't a bit of bling at the end of the race so I wrote a poem.

The race is over.
The legs are shot!
For what I just did,
A hat is all I got?!

Thanks everyone! Happy Easter!

Bryan

:stitch: 'OHANA MONDAY MIXER :stitch:

The mixer starts HERE on the thread.

A spring chick told me that many of us gave up goodies for Lent. Now that Lent has ended, Monday is a good time for this mixer question:

What is one healthy food you always have in your kitchen? What is one less-than-healthy food you always have in your kitchen?

Feel free to post pictures, talk about how the foods help you in your training (either as nutrition or reward), and confess to guilty pleasures and happy indulgences!

Bryan congrats on your PR I can't wait to see what your time will be in Orlando. I 'm so looking forward to meeting you and so many others. Its spring break for us so were off to Gettysburg and Philly. So have a great week and seee you in a week. Rich

I figured I would post my race report over here as well. Sorry I am so absent - I am still around and getting in my mile - just not very good at reporting them or coming to this site - again I am sorry for that.

Tracy did a pretty good job with a race report. As for me my legs were really bothering me and I felt really slow in the first mile (although I made it to the first mile marker in 10:20 so that's not bad for me) I struggled along with mile 2 and started to get into it by mile 3 - (one of my marathon training coaches was at mile 3 shouting out times - 33 mins - so I was feeling good and was happy with my time) at least that was the turn around spot and I was back on my way to the finish line. It was then that I saw Tracy and cheered her on. When I got back out onto A1A it was really hot and humid. Since this was part of my marathon training route from July through November I know this stretch VERY well - at least that was comforting as I felt like I was really struggling. At any rate I knew I would get a PR since I have never done a 10k race before. I finished in 1 hour 11 minutes (not sure what the seconds were) I figured Tracy would be finishing soon so I waited for her to come around the bend. I took some pics of her and then we talked for a bit. This was the first time I got to meet Tracy in person so it was nice. We walked over to the refreshments - I got an iced vanilla latte sample from Starbucks and we talked a little bit longer and then we headed out. It was a fun race and I am sure I will do it again since its only 10 minutes from home.

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter and happy Sunday.

Start line crowd
SSPX0574.jpg

Tracy coming to the finish line
SSPX0576.jpg

Tracy crossing the finish line - way to go Tracy
SSPX0577.jpg

Hi (skulk, skulk). I guess I'm one of the missing Ducks! I just had an insane couple of weeks - a week of preparing to go on vacation (including having my son's 8th grade play Friday night when we need to be at the airport at 8am the following morning), followed by a wonderful week in Captiva. So let me start by catching up on my reporting:

My last week & 1/2 of March:
Miles - 12.3
Minutes - 178

April up to 4/7:
Miles - 3.6
Minutes - 78

I didn't do any training at all during that crazy week before vacation, but had a couple of really nice runs in Captiva. I also managed to fit one in yesterday on Easter, but it was really crummy, I think because I was so sleep deprived from traveling.

I've missed being around, and promise to be more on top of things!

Heads up, dear Wish teams, members and fans! We are doing another mixer. This one is dedicated to Vicky, our own little bunnyfoo!

The question is this: What is your favorite vegetable recipe? Double points if it is not just a sidedish or salad! The points can be cashed in duing marathon weekend when you see how your recipe helped us all become lythe and sleek, knowing beyond a doubt that we, all of WISH, are the best team there!!

Can't wait for dinner, now! See ya! Connie, captain of Hakuna Matata!

Rain, rain go away!

Actually today was wonderful. I finished C@%K with a run on the Trolley Trail Saturday. DGF and I have been able to run together lately. It is so nice to have someone along! My plan is to run three days a week and try to get faster over the next five months. I'll pick out a half marathon plan and begin training in October.

We have a race next Sunday (4/26). The Trolley Run is about four miles. The start is close to our home. We have signed up as slow joggers.

After reading Bryan's RR I am again getting excited about the Disney half. It it going to be amazing! I don't know if I'd do it just for a hat though ; )

For April 8-14:
235 minutes
20 miles

Ronda

Heads up, dear Wish teams, members and fans! We are doing another mixer. This one is dedicated to Vicky, our own little bunnyfoo!

The question is this: What is your favorite vegetable recipe? Double points if it is not just a sidedish or salad! The points can be cashed in duing marathon weekend when you see how your recipe helped us all become lythe and sleek, knowing beyond a doubt that we, all of WISH, are the best team there!!

Can't wait for dinner, now! See ya! Connie, captain of Hakuna Matata!

Oh, my! I have many veggie recipes. I"m definitely not a vegetarian, but neither do I have to have meat at every meal. Here is an African recipe that I actually got at a food event at the Wine and Food Festival from an African visiting chef.
Chakalaka with Mieliebrood
(Veg. Stew with Cornbread)

Chakalaka
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup thinly sliced carrots
½ cup shredded white cabbage
¼ cup thinly sliced onion
¼ cup diced tomatoes
1 tsp. diced jalapeno pepper
¼ cup cauliflower florets
2 cups prepared vegetarian baked beans (Bush’s makes a good one)
½ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a med. sized pot, heat the oil over med. heat. Add the carrots, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, and cauliflower. Cook until vegetables start to wilt, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the beans and season with the cumin, coriander and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the vegetables 15 minutes.
3. Serve at room temp. with fresh cornbread.

Cornbread
1 cup white cornmeal
1 cup cake flour
½ cup sugar
3 tsps. Baking powder
1 pinch salt
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3 TBLS. Cooking oil
½ cup cream style sweet corn

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs, milk and oil together until well combined and add to dry ingredients.
3. Stir in sweet corn.
4. Pour into a lightly greased baking pan. Bake 1 hour or until firm in the center.

Sorry, I tried to make it as a link, but wasn't able to.

Forgot to post my miles/hours. For week ending April 14:
455 minutes 20.5 miles combination of running and cross training

Hello Ducks! Today is a duckie day, sort of wet out. I greatly dislike having to forgo my ride to work. So, time to report. Hours this period are 162 and the time is 10 hours and 10 minutes. Please shift over 25 miles to Liz, please!I have to start increasing the running, there is a race in less than two weeks that I want to do.

How is the roof coming, Erica?

Enjoy the day, and have a good week, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter