• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 6th dcl announcement

:
1) Beginning last summer (2010), Dinsey started asking about cruises out of Galveston in some of its surveys. Here's a copy of at least one of the surveys (I've turned the text red in the Galveston Itineraries):

7-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $869)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

8-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $979)

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Key West, Florida; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Galveston, Texas

9-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $1099)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Charleston, South Carolina; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

6-NIGHT WESTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $769)

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Galveston, Texas

7-NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $899)

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; St. Maarten, N.A.; St Thomas, U.S.V.I.; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

7-NIGHT WESTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $899)

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; Key West, Florida; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

5-NIGHT BERMUDA (Starting at $649)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; King's Wharf, Bermuda; New York, New York

NONE of these itineraries interest us! While we would most definitely like to know the feeling of driving to the port without paying airfare, the ports are more important to us than where the ship leaves from! These itineraries are boring and most have been done to death in the last decade. If this is the big news -- that Galveston is the home port, but the itineraries are the same -- then it's disappointing on our end and not what we were hoping for :confused3

I've enhanced my original posting of this Princess itinerary to include the sea days. As I mentioned, if Disney were to make this a 10-day, they could include a stop at Castaway Cay! :thumbsup2

From Princess Cruises: 9-nighter Caribbean Islander:

NYC
At Sea
At Sea
Grand Turk
San Juan
St. Thomas
At Sea
West End (Bermuda)
At Sea
NYC

Can you tell I'm just hoping and wishing for this one :lmao::surfweb:;)

I totally agree. We have to fly. So, we would way rather wind up in Orlando and be able to tag on some WDW days. DCL already goes to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. Nothing new, just new place to leave from without the magic of the Mouse. IMHO.

:wave2: Angie! Glad I'm not the only one then!

If there is a cruise from NY that takes in Bermuda, and it stays for 2 nights not just one (I note other cruises do this), then its a possibility for us depending on price. As we could visit friends in both NY and Bermuda, so would be worthwhile doing.
Hawai would have been nice, but isolated by so many sea days...it could never top the Transatlantic in my book. And expensive airfare into LA and out of Vancover/Seattle for UK folks.
Leaves us with Mexico option maybe? We would love to visit DL again. Other than that we will maybe stick with bumping our booked cruise on another year.

We are booked on an RCI eastern med this Sept, out of Rome...so will have some idea of comparison after that. Ports for this are great, and the original planned Alexandria for Cairo has been replaced with Istanbul, (obvious reasons) which is actually a bonus for us as DH has alays wanted to visit there.

I think I agree with a previous poster, that whilst there is so much unrest in parts of this area, DCL may well be opting to play safe, and not risk having to rearrange Ports to avoid "no go areas". Plus maybe rightly reacting to the rising costs of airfare. So if the predictions do prove correct, methinks it will have been a well considered and reasoned decision on behalf of DCL. Lack of Europe will be an unpopular decision for some though!

I guess there are definitely 2 camps, those of us in it for the Ships only, and those of us wanting to go to new places for "pins on the map" :goodvibes. (There seems a poll here somewhere, if only I knew how to set one up! :banana:)

Lyn

:wave2: Angie! Glad I'm not the only one then!

If there is a cruise from NY that takes in Bermuda, and it stays for 2 nights not just one (I note other cruises do this), then its a possibility for us depending on price. As we could visit friends in both NY and Bermuda, so would be worthwhile doing.
Hawai would have been nice, but isolated by so many sea days...it could never top the Transatlantic in my book. And expensive airfare into LA and out of Vancover/Seattle for UK folks.
Leaves us with Mexico option maybe? We would love to visit DL again. Other than that we will maybe stick with bumping our booked cruise on another year.

We are booked on an RCI eastern med this Sept, out of Rome...so will have some idea of comparison after that. Ports for this are great, and the original planned Alexandria for Cairo has been replaced with Istanbul, (obvious reasons) which is actually a bonus for us as DH has alays wanted to visit there.

I think I agree with a previous poster, that whilst there is so much unrest in parts of this area, DCL may well be opting to play safe, and not risk having to rearrange Ports to avoid "no go areas". Plus maybe rightly reacting to the rising costs of airfare. So if the predictions do prove correct, methinks it will have been a well considered and reasoned decision on behalf of DCL. Lack of Europe will be an unpopular decision for some though!

I guess there are definitely 2 camps, those of us in it for the Ships only, and those of us wanting to go to new places for "pins on the map" :goodvibes. (There seems a poll here somewhere, if only I knew how to set one up! :banana:)

Lyn

:hug: Lyn. We are up for Hawaii and lots of sea days suits us fine and the NY looks interesting, but expensive for us. We will see in a couple of days what Disney has in store for us.

ekatiel 7-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $869) Cruise Ports: New York said:

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Key West, Florida; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Galveston, Texas [/COLOR]

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Charleston, South Carolina; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Galveston, Texas

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; St. Maarten, N.A.; St Thomas, U.S.V.I.; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; Key West, Florida; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

--Katie

I totally forgot about this survey! If indeed, the Western Caribbean route from Galveston does not include a stop at Castaway Cay, then I am not interested. Grrrr -

Coming late to the party here. I've been reading over on Cruise Critic about possible Galvestion Cruise announcements, and finally ended up here (I should have known you guys would have been all over this one!). I would LOVE it if DCL sailed out of Galveston. Here's the case for Galveston that I just posted on cruise critic. Much of this has been mentioned previously on this thread, some of it has not)
:
1) Beginning last summer (2010), Dinsey started asking about cruises out of Galveston in some of its surveys. Here's a copy of at least one of the surveys (I've turned the text red in the Galveston Itineraries):

7-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $869)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Key West, Florida; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Galveston, Texas

5-NIGHT BERMUDA (Starting at $649)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; King's Wharf, Bermuda; New York, New York

2)Disney says it has an important annoucement about itineraries on April 6th, 2011, 12:30pm EST. The announcement will be made from New York (there is lots of speculation that Disney Magic will sail the Summer of 2012 out of New York and then move to Galveston for the late Fall/Winter months).

3) Laura Elder's mentions in the Galveston Daily News of big news for Galveston crusing coming soon (from March 31st-- In red):

Loose lips: Rumors still are under full sail that another cruise line is island-bound. Waterfront watchers are speculating about which ship might be sailing this way.

But Port of Galveston Director Steve Cernak this week said speculation that the Norwegian Spirit might soon homeport from Galveston isn’t true. In 2009, Norwegian Cruise Lines announced it had signed a contract with the Port of New Orleans and would continue seasonal sailings from the Big Easy at least through April 2014. The 1,966-passenger Norwegian Spirit sails seven-day Western Caribbean itineraries with Sunday departures.

Still, some sources in the know say another cruise announcement for the island is imminent. Last month, Princess Cruises announced it would resume sailing from the island. Beginning next year, the 3,070-passenger Crown Princess will launch its Caribbean season from the island port, planning 19 departures between Dec. 22, 2012, and April 27, 2013.

Carnival Cruise Lines will bring two new vessels to the island in the fall this year. Carnival said the 3,690-passenger Magic would begin sailing from the island port in November. The 2,758-passenger Triumph would be moved to the island from its New Orleans base a month before that.

Finally, Royal Caribbean International plans to replace its Voyager of the Seas with the 3,114-passenger Mariner of the Seas, one of the world’s 10 largest liners. Stay tuned.

4) Someone on another thread on Cruise Critic posted a message from their TA about big news about Galveston crusing being revealed on April 6th (the same date that Disney is revealing its big cruising news.) Here's the message they posted from their TA (post is in red):

From Gulf Coast Departure Forum*
"Quote from a travel agents email I got yesterday...."

"but the vendor actually came into my office yesterday and asked that we NOT say anything prior their official announcement coming up this Wednesday, Apr. 6th....... If you are on Facebook, watch my Facebook status updates on Wednesday, Apr. 6 or watch the status updates at our page on Apr. 6 and we will post the news when it becomes official! We will also shoot out a special edition of our email that evening so look for it!

If what I told by some inside people at the company is the announcement this vendor will be making you will want to get into our offices ASAP starting Thursday and get booked, especially if you are a family needing a cabin for 4 or 5 people, want to cruise at Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years 2012 or Spring Break 2013. This really will be big news, especially here in Texas but for the entire Midwest!"

It seems pretty compelling to me!! I would be SO excited if it were true. I guess we'll find out on Wednesday! --Katie

The galveston itenaries shown here don't make sense compared to the Grand Cayman Port list that show the Magic in Grand Cayman every Tuesday except Christmas from 9/25/12 to 4/23/13

I just got an email from my TA. SHe said while she anticipates they are releasing the itineraries on April 6, they won't go on sale for a few days after that. Now I don't know if she means it won't go on sale to the general public or everyone.

That would work out quite well for me as I will be on the Dream in 6 days (the 10th)!!!!! Just may have to book myself 2 cruises since now I wont need to pay for the airfare since we are so close to the NY ports!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

The galveston itenaries shown here don't make sense compared to the Grand Cayman Port list that show the Magic in Grand Cayman every Tuesday except Christmas from 9/25/12 to 4/23/13

Those itineraries are from a survey taken last summer, so they are almost a year old. It's very likely that they've revamped the itineraries. I was thinking that that a 7 night from Galveston to Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, and the Grand Cayman, would be a good itinerary :thumbsup2. We'll have to see what happens on Wednesday!! --Katie

Ok, did some further research. Found data on the Magic for summer 2012, don't know if this has been posted or not. Looks like she will be following exact same route as the Fantasy for the Eastern Caribbean (St. Martin, St. Thomas and CC from June - Aug 2012), but can't find where she would be home ported from! Looks like they are counting both ships in port b/c it says load is 6500. I guess on the "off" weeks, she would either sit or do a different itinerary.

I am bummed that she will be in the same ports on the same days as our Fantasy cruise b/c that is 2500 more people on top of the 4000 or so with the Fantasy, trying to get chairs on the beach, book excursions, etc. My personal opinion (and only my personal opinion!), is not good planning on Disney's part b/c everything will be too crowded and too hard to book pirate:

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Those itineraries are from a survey taken last summer, so they are almost a year old. It's very likely that they've revamped the itineraries. I was thinking that that a 7 night from Galveston to Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, and the Grand Cayman, would be a good itinerary :thumbsup2. We'll have to see what happens on Wednesday!! --Katie

I would love this itinerary! I hope you are right!

Ok, did some further research. Found data on the Magic for summer 2012, don't know if this has been posted or not. Looks like she will be following exact same route as the Fantasy for the Eastern Caribbean (St. Martin, St. Thomas and CC from June - Aug 2012), but can't find where she would be home ported from! Looks like they are counting both ships in port b/c it says load is 6500. I guess on the "off" weeks, she would either sit or do a different itinerary.

I am bummed that she will be in the same ports on the same days as our Fantasy cruise b/c that is 2500 more people on top of the 4000 or so with the Fantasy, trying to get chairs on the beach, book excursions, etc. My personal opinion (and only my personal opinion!), is not good planning on Disney's part b/c everything will be too crowded and too hard to book pirate:

Where did you find this research? I can't imagine Disney having 2 ships doing the exact same thing at the same time. And, CC can't handle that many people at once.

Where did you find this research? I can't imagine Disney having 2 ships doing the exact same thing at the same time. And, CC can't handle that many people at once.

Not to mention the fact that CC can only hold one ship.:thumbsup2

Exactly! I can see them doing alternating weeks......but not the same Ports at same time.

I don't believe that the information you found is accurate. I saw someone else posting this in the old March 10th thread. I think it was cruiseschedules.com or something like that. It showed the Magic and Fantasy in CC simultaneously, which is inaccurate.

Plus, I just checked with the Port of St. Maarten website:

http://201.220.14.27/sxmonline/VesselScheduleCruise.aspx

It shows ONLY the Disney Fantasy visiting St. Maarten in the summer 2012 and not the Disney Magic.

Fortunately, both the RCCL Oasis (6,360 max capacity) AND the Carnival Dream (3,646 max capacity) will be in St. Maarten on the same day, but NOT the days that the Fantasy will be there!!!!! They are visiting St. Maarten and St. Thomas on opposite days of Disney. They are also visiting Nassau on the same day for their Eastern itineraries. Another reason to book Disney versus the other ships!

I have yet to find any reliable sources out there that show the Magic in port in 2012, except for the Port of Grand Cayman which shows it there starting on 10/25/2012 and continuing weekly through April 2013, with the exception of Christmas.

The only time we've ever seen the Wonder and the Magic in the same port was because of a hurricane :laughing: I don't believe that Disney would schedule two of their ships to do identical ports. What a waste of an opportunity for an alternate itinerary that would be :confused3

Saw an article in a travel magazine a few months ago about the chaos that these bigger ships are causing when they pull into ports now and unload 5,000-6,000 guests ON TOP of whatever other ships are there.

Maybe they are picking up on the Magic's previous Caribbean port itineraries and just transferred it to 2012. I know that the Fantasy is listed for all those dates on the DCL website, but I can't see the purpose for Disney taking two ships through the same waters. :confused3

FROM THE "OTHER" BOARD I AM FOLLOWING THIS WAS JUST POSTED: HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THEY GOT THIS INFO FROM AND IT STINKS THAT GALVESTONS CRUISE DATES ARE MOSTLY IN SCHOOL TIMES, ONLY THANKSGIVING is OPEN TO THOSE OF US WITH SCHOOL AGE KIDS. (just saw another post of this and it says this is from a FACEBOOK AGENCY page, but i dont know which one)
More info:
*Disney Cruises from Texas and New York!!*
Note: If you book any of the 5, 7 or 8 night cruises from New York or Galveston with us by Apr. 15, 2011 you will get a special Disney Collectable when you make final payment!!!
For the first time ever, Disney Cruise Line will set sail from three new ports in 2012 – New York, Seattle and Galveston, Texas – making the Disney family cruise vacation more accessible to guests around the country. Additionally, the cruise line will offer more choices than ever before with several new itineraries planned.

“In 2012, we’re making it easier than ever for families to enjoy a Disney Cruise Line vacation by offering cruises from a variety of regional homeports,” said Disney Cruise Line President Karl Holz. “Guests can now enjoy a magical, one-of-a-kind Disney cruise experience with the convenience of departures from their own backyard.”

*2012 New York Schedule - *Beginning May 25, 2012, the Disney Magic will sail a total of 20 cruises from New York – including eight-night cruises to the Bahamas and five-night cruises up the New England coast to Canada plus two-night cruises that will give a sampling of the Disney Cruise Line experience over a weekend:

} The eight Bahamas cruises will include a day at Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay; Nassau, Bahamas; and a stop at Port Canaveral, Fla., giving guests an opportunity to visit the nearby Walt Disney World Resort. As part of this itinerary, each guest will receive a one-day Walt Disney World Park Hopper ticket and roundtrip transportation between their Disney ship and the resort.

Rates for the new eight-night Bahamian cruise itinerary departing from New York start at $1,240 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

} The nine five-night cruises up the New England coast will call at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Saint John, New Brunswick. In these popular Canadian ports, guests can soak in splendid natural vistas, explore historic sites, visit quaint cafes and charming shops, and browse Canada’s oldest farmer’s market.

Rates for the new five-night Canadian cruise itinerary departing from New York start at $715 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

} Three two-night cruises (June 15, July 13 and Aug. 10) out of New York are perfect for families looking for a quick getaway with a day at sea over a weekend. Rates for the new two-night cruises start at $370 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

*Disney Magic 2012 – New York* - Eight-Night Bahamas sailing on 5/25, 6/2, 6/22, 6/30, 7/20, 7/28, 8/17, 8/25, 2012

New York, At Sea for 2 Days, Nassau, Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral, At Sea for 2 Days, New York

Five-Night Canada sailing on 6/10, 6/17, 7/8, 7/15, 8/5, 8/12, 9/2, 9/7, 9/12, 2012

New York, At Sea, Halifax, Saint John, At Sea, New York

*2012 Galveston Schedule *- Beginning Sept. 22, 2012, the Disney Magic will sail 12 seven-night cruises from the Port of Galveston to the Western Caribbean. Ports of call include Grand Cayman and Mexico’s Costa Maya and Cozumel.

A Caribbean cruise on the Disney Magic offers families a tropical getaway with world-class entertainment and impeccable guest service found only on a Disney Cruise Line vacation. Guests will enjoy three magical days at sea to explore all of the fun aboard the Disney Magic and three days in port to lounge on warm, golden beaches, to swim and snorkel in azure waters or to shop to their heart's content in exotic marketplaces.

Rates for the seven-night Western Caribbean cruise itinerary departing from Galveston start at $840 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

Disney Magic 2012 – Galveston - Seven-Night Western Caribbean sailing on 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 11/24, 12/1, 12/8, 2012

Galveston, 2 Days at Sea, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, A Day at Sea, Galveston

*2012 Seattle Schedule - *Beginning May 28, 2012, the Disney Wonder will sail a total of 14 seven-night cruises from the Port of Seattle to Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, Alaska, as well as Victoria, British Columbia.

These cruises will combine the natural wonder and adventurous spirit of Alaska with the unparalleled, family-friendly experience found on a Disney Cruise Line ship. Disney Cruise Line works closely with Alaskan tour operators to create exclusive-to-Disney family-friendly Port Adventures that allow guests to best experience Alaska’s natural beauty and rich history.

On their Alaskan adventure, guests may catch a glimpse of a brown bear, bald eagle or humpback whale. They can explore magnificent glaciers and fjords in Juneau. In Ketchikan, guests can fish for some of the largest wild salmon in the world and learn about local culture through hand-carved totem poles. In Skagway, Disney Cruise Line guests can traverse panoramic landscapes by railway, or pan for gold like miners from the famous Klondike gold rush.

Rates for the seven-night Alaska cruise itinerary departing from Seattle start at $917 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

Disney Wonder 2012 – Seattle - Seven-Night Alaska sailing on 5/28, 6/4, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25, 7/2, 7/9, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30, 8/6, 8/13, 8/20, 8/27

Seattle, At Sea, Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

*2012 Los Angeles Schedule - *The Disney Wonder is scheduled to continue sailing seven-night Mexican Riviera cruises from the Port of Los Angeles for the majority of the year – throughout winter, spring and fall.

Rates for the seven-night Mexican Riviera itinerary departing from Los Angeles start at $707 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

Additionally, the Disney Wonder will sail four seven-night Pacific Coast cruises from Los Angeles (on Sept. 16, Sept. 23, Sept. 30 and Oct. 7), calling on San Francisco, San Diego and Ensenada, Mexico.

Rates for the new seven-night Pacific Coast itinerary departing from Los Angeles start at $770 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

For the first time, the Disney Wonder will offer a special 15-night voyage to Hawaii from Los Angeles, calling on Hilo; Kahului, Maui; Honolulu, Oahu; Nawiliwili, Kauai and Ensenada, Mexico.

Rates for the 15-night Hawaiian itinerary (departing April 29, 2012) start at $1,800 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

*2012 Port Canaveral Schedule - *The Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream will continue to sail a variety of Caribbean and Bahamian itineraries departing from Port Canaveral.

The Disney Fantasy will depart on her maiden voyage March 31, 2012, and will sail out of Port Canaveral on seven-night Caribbean itineraries – alternating eastern (St. Maarten and St. Thomas) and western (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel). Special Eastern Caribbean sailings in November and December 2012 stop at St. Thomas and San Juan, Puerto Rico. All Disney Fantasy itineraries include a stop at Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay.

Rates for the seven-night Caribbean cruise itineraries on the Disney Fantasy start at $959 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

The Disney Dream will sail three-, four- and five-night cruises from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay. Five-night itineraries include two stops at Castaway Cay.

Rates for three- and four-night Bahamian cruises on the Disney Dream start at $471 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

Until she is repositioned to New York, the Disney Magic will sail out of Port Canaveral on seven-night Caribbean itineraries and four- and five-night Bahamian cruises.

All pricing reflects a category 11C standard inside stateroom, Government Taxes and Fees not included. Bookings for the entire 2012 schedule open April 8, 2011.

Why Does Galveston stop at 12/8/2012? What about Christmas?

Grand Cayman still shows the Magic in port December 18th and January 1st.

They seemed to have missed the last part of December. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter