April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Wonder to Hawaii- who is with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.......and so the plannning begins! :banana: ( oh I've missed that dancing banana)

I've been looking today at hotels to stay overnight in LA.....how exciting!:cool1:

Oh, and welcome to everyone who's joined us! Wonder if we'll be as chatty as on the WBTA 2010 thread! :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to getting my laptop back so I can sort out the Hawaiian signature......:rolleyes1

.:littleangel:

Mandy, check out staying on the Queen Mary the night before the cruise...it's a fun way to start a cruise vacation. If you are coming in more than one night early...then I'd stay by Disneyland! :thumbsup2

Final Payment: Has anyone actually checked with DCL about the final payment date on the website?

I know we were told 2/14/12 on the phone, which is the 75 day mark, and DCL usually does do earlier for special cruises. JANUARY 1, 2012 is actually the 120 day mark, and that seems like the more logical date. December 1 is like 151 days....seems strange. :confused3

They told me February 14 & my comment was easy to remember Valentine Day & she agreed!

So glad to see so many familiar names.

Goofprincess- you can hang out with us while Tony goes shopping. We can give him a list.

Brooklyn- love the Goofy graphic- Could someone tell me how to add it to my sig?

Kriannn- We will celebrate our 45 th anniversary and we wer thinking of doing something special. IF you find any info let me know - thanks

Can't wait for the CG to get together again.

I know it is early days yet, but is anybody interested in a Scavenger Hunt. I am putting one together for our October cruise and we could use this for this cruise as well.

Corinna

We go to INSUREMYTRIP dot com. Saves us some money and we can pick the policy that best fits our needs. You can buy anytime, just be aware of pre-existing conditions. We find it make sense to purchase right away while there are NO pre-exisiting conditions. :)
Thanks! I'll look into this. I haven't decided if I'm going to transfer my ressie to a TA yet or not. I like the OBC, but I also like being able to change things myself on DCL. Does that make a difference in how I get the insurance?

Thank you so much for offering to organize the FE, you have my vote. I would like to also propose that we vote on how the FE's be organized. It is clear this is going to be a wonderful but HUGE group. On the WBTA we also had a very large group and elected to put the FE's into groups of 25 cabins. Of course you could give to any FE you wanted but your primary group was limited. On the PC there were over 100 cabins on the FE list, but they elected to leave it one group. While it was wonderful to get so many 'gifts' it made it really difficult to come up with something you could find room for in your luggage. Also, I felt bad for people who spent so much time working on their FE gifts only to have someone else duplicate it and distribute theirs first. While I was not one of these people I heard how disappointed some where to see that. Also, for some, it was cost prohibitive.

Just my thoughts. Of course will go along with the majority.
I would vote for multiple groups over a large group. I have to admit the thought of a FE's for a large group stresses me out and really intimidates me. Knowing ahead of time that I will have 20 staterooms would allow me to relax and start buying now - spreading out the cost and effort. My vote would also include a cutoff date. On our first DCL cruise they had no cutoff date, so the last day before leaving for the cruise, I had to run out and try to buy more because new people had joined. I had bought these cute smiley light up magnents for each of the staterooms, but they didn't have any more, so I was stressed trying to come up with something else at the last minute.

Mandy, check out staying on the Queen Mary the night before the cruise...it's a fun way to start a cruise vacation. If you are coming in more than one night early...then I'd stay by Disneyland! :thumbsup2

That may be one to look at Jackie!:) I think Marks hoping he will have enough Hyatt points though to book one free....:thumbsup2

That's what they said. I'm hopeful. It would be the perfect trip for my family. I'm Los Angeles based and I usually have the first 2 weeks in May off work. Fingers and toes are crossed.
Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for you! Seriously have them keep checking... stuff surely will open up either when deposits are needed, because some people have their TA book and then also book on their own just in case -then cancel one obviously, and again later when PIF date comes upon us. Don't give up hope! It sounds perfect for your family!

Im not sure which one to be more excited about LOL the B2b with Alaska in 2 weeks or this cruise and the fact we made it on before it sold out :cool1: The nice thing is when leaving the Alaska I know it will be less then a year before I see great friends again so I guess they wont have to unhook me from the ships gangway and drag me off!

I know its early and all and I dont think anyone else voluntered but I would be willing to organize the FE for this cruise if everyone wants. I think theyll be a good turnout since its a return to same port cruise and we have lots of sea days so no stressing out while in port :) Thinking of so many cute Hawaiin themed trinkets :)

DIS motto is it's never too early to start planning a cruise
right?
I think so... but maybe that's just me. LOL
and I thikn you just did volunteer! You okay with that? If so, I'll post on original post to contact you if they want to be added to the list... please confirm that you want that responsibility. :-) (and thanks, if you do!)

Thank you so much for offering to organize the FE, you have my vote. I would like to also propose that we vote on how the FE's be organized. It is clear this is going to be a wonderful but HUGE group. On the WBTA we also had a very large group and elected to put the FE's into groups of 25 cabins. Of course you could give to any FE you wanted but your primary group was limited. On the PC there were over 100 cabins on the FE list, but they elected to leave it one group. While it was wonderful to get so many 'gifts' it made it really difficult to come up with something you could find room for in your luggage. Also, I felt bad for people who spent so much time working on their FE gifts only to have someone else duplicate it and distribute theirs first. While I was not one of these people I heard how disappointed some where to see that. Also, for some, it was cost prohibitive.

Just my thoughts. Of course will go along with the majority.
I guess I'd have to agree.
While I've been on HUGE groups that did it all together.. and it didn't bother ME to give out to all of them... there were obviously issues with others and there were several FE gifts that it was apparent that not everyone received... could cause hurt feelings if people are picking and choosing who they give to when it's a huge group and they just can't give to everyone or whatnot. Yanno?
And then there is always the issue of giving to such a large group on the FE list can cause some packing issues.... with what checked luggage costs nowadays, it would probably be better for everyone if we just split up a little. I don't think they need to be teeny tiny groups though. I have seen some that seemed a little on the tiny side to me... but that's just my opinion-it's majority rules ofcourse.. I'll go along with whatever others wanna do with the FE list(s). :)

And maybe we could do it a little differently? Where like everyone signed up and we got an idea of how many, then just let everyone know how many to make- but maybe not split the actual groups up until closer to cruise and like try to divide them up where each group is closer to each other? like IDK per deck or two? Instead of just signing up people and splitting them up as they sign up. now hear me out.... here's my reasons I propose this idea:

A) generally those that sign up first are super gungho about FE's -all will participate, most will not cancel their cruise later/repeat cruisers/etc. that's the first group... and it moves on from there. Then if we have a cut off date- the ones signing up last minute are generally newbies to the group/Disboard, maybe booked last minute thus why they signed up last minute and maybe don't know what to give or forget they signed up for it/forget to participate in the FE list while on the ship, maybe someone who signs up at last minute on our cut off date but then cancels the cruise- that type of stuff. So not only do the groups end up kinda "uneven" if you follow my logic there- (and I'm just saying like you could potentially divide them up in 20 cabins and end up with one group seriously depleted with number of cabins in their group at time of cruise) but then also...
B) the groups are people all over the ship. Each group having people all over the ship so you're spending time going deck to deck for one or two cabins here and there- potentially

Where as if we just lumped everyone together- and once we got an idea of how many it's going to be (let's say 80 for example) so we know we're gonna end up with 4 groups of 20... just tell everyone to plan on giving to 20-25 FE's.... wait till cut off date to make SURE the exact amount- and then try to divide them up where as much as possible the groups are "close" together either with aft vs forward, cpl decks together, etc. ??

Wuddayathink?

They told me February 14 & my comment was easy to remember Valentine Day & she agreed!
I need to talk to TA when the dust settles and they have more time to talk. IDK why ours says Dec 1st and others say Feb 14? that doesn't seem right to me....

I know it is early days yet, but is anybody interested in a Scavenger Hunt. I am putting one together for our October cruise and we could use this for this cruise as well.

Corinna
Are you offering to put one together for this cruise as well? If so- thanks! And let me know any details and I'll add it to the original post and have people contact you if they want to join/sign up? :)

Oh and again- if I've missed anyone from the spreadsheet or that is going on this cruise that has not signed the spreadsheet- please let me know if you want me to add you to the roll call on original post. :)
(and/or if I've made any errors on anything on the original post)
thanks!

That may be one to look at Jackie!:) I think Marks hoping he will have enough Hyatt points though to book one free....:thumbsup2

Love Hyatt - that's what we've done the last 2 times, but since we're using it for 2 free nights on our Alaska cruise, we won't have any points left for this one. :sad2: Oh well, I guess I'll have to actually pay to stay. :rotfl:

Thanks! I'll look into this. I haven't decided if I'm going to transfer my ressie to a TA yet or not. I like the OBC, but I also like being able to change things myself on DCL. Does that make a difference in how I get the insurance?

I would vote for multiple groups over a large group. I have to admit the thought of a FE's for a large group stresses me out and really intimidates me. Knowing ahead of time that I will have 20 staterooms would allow me to relax and start buying now - spreading out the cost and effort. My vote would also include a cutoff date. On our first DCL cruise they had no cutoff date, so the last day before leaving for the cruise, I had to run out and try to buy more because new people had joined. I had bought these cute smiley light up magnents for each of the staterooms, but they didn't have any more, so I was stressed trying to come up with something else at the last minute.

That is what is another great thing about groups of a defined number. You never have to worry about the group getting any bigger. Also, those who might come on-board at the end form another group so almost no one has to be left out. Just my one opinion

Just saying 'hello' on the board. I am already on the FB group!

This will be my first cruise and it will just be my son (4) and I. Very excited, but looking for any advice and tips from all y'all!

Love Hyatt - that's what we've done the last 2 times, but since we're using it for 2 free nights on our Alaska cruise, we won't have any points left for this one. :sad2: Oh well, I guess I'll have to actually pay to stay. :rotfl:

Lol....I see your point! Good to know someone who has stayed there, thanks :thumbsup2

This will be my first cruise and it will just be my son (4) and I. Very excited, but looking for any advice and tips from all y'all!

Welcome aboard!:dance3:

Just to show...you do need to be careful what you say at Match Your Mate - you might be on vacation, but then you might see these people again.

Yes it goes from "don't worry, you won't see these people ever again" to "you'd better behave yourself, you will be traveling with these people for every vacation you ever have in the future"

Will have to work forever now to pay for the cruises next year.:scared1:

That's one mission for today - to modify the budget to work out how much we need to pay on a monthly basis so its paid for by the end of December. Then we just have to get the flights!

The paper I printed said that my final payment was due December 31, 2011.

That's what the Dreams site is showing me too. That's going to be my goal regardless of whether it moves to a 2012 date.

My TA just told me it's sold out :-( Please let me know if you hear differently.
Thanks

Get them to keep checking, cabins will open up as people don't make their deposits or find they can't afford it nearer the final payment and push their cruise dates out.

Yes please! We loved this on the WBTA.

Thank you so much for offering to organize the FE, you have my vote. I would like to also propose that we vote on how the FE's be organized. It is clear this is going to be a wonderful but HUGE group. On the WBTA we also had a very large group and elected to put the FE's into groups of 25 cabins. Of course you could give to any FE you wanted but your primary group was limited. On the PC there were over 100 cabins on the FE list, but they elected to leave it one group.

While I've been on HUGE groups that did it all together.. and it didn't bother ME to give out to all of them... there were obviously issues with others and there were several FE gifts that it was apparent that not everyone received...
And then there is always the issue of giving to such a large group on the FE list can cause some packing issues.... with what checked luggage costs nowadays, it would probably be better for everyone if we just split up a little. I don't think they need to be teeny tiny groups though. I have seen some that seemed a little on the tiny side to me... but that's just my opinion-it's majority rules ofcourse.. I'll go along with whatever others wanna do with the FE list(s). :)

I suspect its going to be a large group too so would also like it to be split into groups of say 20-25. It means you can put a little more time, effort and dare I say $ into it than if you are giving gifts to 100 or more cabins.

I also like the option for people to potentially join up with multiple groups if they so wish. For the WBTA, we were in 3 FE gift groups which worked well for us.

Final Payment: Has anyone actually checked with DCL about the final payment date on the website?

I know we were told 2/14/12 on the phone, which is the 75 day mark, and DCL usually does do earlier for special cruises. JANUARY 1, 2012 is actually the 120 day mark, and that seems like the more logical date. December 1 is like 151 days....seems strange. :confused3

I'm Gold CC right now and have a PIF date of Dec 31 (roughly 120 days - Jan 1 is a holiday). Wondering if Platinum or Concierge are seeing PIF of Dec 17? Oh, wait, Gold is usually 105 days, isn't it? Maybe they know I'm scheduled to be Platinum by then.

...Thinking of so many cute Hawaiin themed trinkets :)

And if your luggage allowance doesn't permit you to fly in your FE gifts, there is always ABC stores in Honolulu with gift size chocolate-covered Macadamia nuts in cute little Mickey boxes...

217565_214328591915656_100000155497122_966500_7078706_n.jpg

This is on Maui going down Mount Haleakala 12 years ago.
Don't think we will have time to do that one again and I am sure the sugar cane refinery is gone also. Not sure what we will do on Maui yet, but I remember we had a lot of fun then.

While on Maui last Feb, I think they said there was now ONE remaining working sugar cane factory.

Did they make you share a bicycle and ride down backwards? :rotfl2:

We would have enough time for a bike ride, just not able to do the sunrise edition. Haleakala Bike Co does one that leaves around 10am. And I would hope DCL would be arranging excursions for all the major activities so they will fit into our port schedule.

My mom rode to/from France in 1952 on the Queen Mary. That would be fun to be on the same ship 60 years later.

...And maybe we could do it a little differently? Where like everyone signed up and we got an idea of how many, then just let everyone know how many to make- but maybe not split the actual groups up until closer to cruise ...

I like the idea of smaller groups. And if there is someone who wants to give/get from everyone, let them join multiple groups.

Our TA has a hold on a Cat. 9C GTY cabin for us, unfortunately it looks like we won't be able to come up with the deposit in time and DVC points are not an option for us. So if anyone out there is holding out hope for a cabin, please PM me and I will give you our TA's info, I am sure she can work out canceling it and scheduling yours at the same time. This is a real bummer, because I would love to go.

I'm Gold CC right now and have a PIF date of Dec 31 (roughly 120 days - Jan 1 is a holiday). Wondering if Platinum or Concierge are seeing PIF of Dec 17? Oh, wait, Gold is usually 105 days, isn't it? Maybe they know I'm scheduled to be Platinum by then.

My mom rode to/from France in 1952 on the Queen Mary. That would be fun to be on the same ship 60 years later.

I like the idea of smaller groups.
And if there is someone who wants to give/get from everyone, let them join multiple groups.

I booked with points (so PIF), and have a date of 12/31/11 to start booking things. We are Plat. so I guess maybe those of you that are (or are concierge) will have the same date referenced??

And I agree with the Queen Mary as a cool place to stay. If it's still the same one parked there, we stayed & were so shocked at the size of the rooms & windows (small!), but all that beautiful wood & the decks were so cool.

I vote for a few smaller FE groups too!! :goodvibes
We should have at least 20 rooms imo...I only had 10 on the ebta last yr & while it was easy & I was able to give nicer gifts, I would have liked it to be a bit bigger. :thumbsup2

Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for you! Seriously have them keep checking... stuff surely will open up either when deposits are needed, because some people have their TA book and then also book on their own just in case -then cancel one obviously, and again later when PIF date comes upon us. Don't give up hope! It sounds perfect for your family!

DIS motto is it's never too early to start planning a cruise
right?
I think so... but maybe that's just me. LOL
and I thikn you just did volunteer! You okay with that? If so, I'll post on original post to contact you if they want to be added to the list... please confirm that you want that responsibility. :-) (and thanks, if you do!)

I guess I'd have to agree.
While I've been on HUGE groups that did it all together.. and it didn't bother ME to give out to all of them... there were obviously issues with others and there were several FE gifts that it was apparent that not everyone received... could cause hurt feelings if people are picking and choosing who they give to when it's a huge group and they just can't give to everyone or whatnot. Yanno?

And maybe we could do it a little differently? Where like everyone signed up and we got an idea of how many, then just let everyone know how many to make- but maybe not split the actual groups up until closer to cruise and like try to divide them up where each group is closer to each other? like IDK per deck or two? Instead of just signing up people and splitting them up as they sign up. now hear me out.... here's my reasons I propose this idea:

A) generally those that sign up first are super gungho about FE's -all will participate, most will not cancel their cruise later/repeat cruisers/etc. that's the first group... and it moves on from there. Then if we have a cut off date- the ones signing up last minute are generally newbies to the group/Disboard, maybe booked last minute thus why they signed up last minute and maybe don't know what to give or forget they signed up for it/forget to participate in the FE list while on the ship, maybe someone who signs up at last minute on our cut off date but then cancels the cruise- that type of stuff. So not only do the groups end up kinda "uneven" if you follow my logic there- (and I'm just saying like you could potentially divide them up in 20 cabins and end up with one group seriously depleted with number of cabins in their group at time of cruise) but then also...
B) the groups are people all over the ship. Each group having people all over the ship so you're spending time going deck to deck for one or two cabins here and there- potentially

Where as if we just lumped everyone together- and once we got an idea of how many it's going to be (let's say 80 for example) so we know we're gonna end up with 4 groups of 20... just tell everyone to plan on giving to 20-25 FE's.... wait till cut off date to make SURE the exact amount- and then try to divide them up where as much as possible the groups are "close" together either with aft vs forward, cpl decks together, etc. ??

Wuddayathink?

I need to talk to TA when the dust settles and they have more time to talk. IDK why ours says Dec 1st and others say Feb 14? that doesn't seem right to me....

Are you offering to put one together for this cruise as well? If so- thanks! And let me know any details and I'll add it to the original post and have people contact you if they want to join/sign up? :)

Oh and again- if I've missed anyone from the spreadsheet or that is going on this cruise that has not signed the spreadsheet- please let me know if you want me to add you to the roll call on original post. :)
(and/or if I've made any errors on anything on the original post)
thanks!

Yes, I am indeed volunteering to do this on this cruise. I did the work for this on the PC cruise in anticipation of the Mexican Riviera Cruise. So it is easy just to quickly check when I get on board if all the clues still work. I would not mind one or two people helping me at the end of the cruise to score this. On the WBTA, we had a slot of an hour on the last sea day where people dropped their answer sheets off at the Promenade Lounge and showed the things they had to collect and the photos that they had to take. I think this would work for this cruise as well.

As to Fish Extenders, I would prefer to split this in more manageable groups. I also would like a cut off date at least 6 weeks prior to sailing and 2 months before would be ideal. I always make my own FE gifts and I need a bit of time to sort it all out.

Corinna

The paper I printed said that my final payment was due December 31, 2011.

Now that makes sense...maybe on the website they just left off that "3"!

I'm sure the castmembers were saying 2/14 because they weren't TOLD it was an early deadline and they were using the standard 75 day date.

.......and so the plannning begins! :banana: ( oh I've missed that dancing banana)

I've been looking today at hotels to stay overnight in LA.....how exciting!:cool1:

Oh, and welcome to everyone who's joined us! Wonder if we'll be as chatty as on the WBTA 2010 thread! :thumbsup2
I'm looking forward to getting my laptop back so I can sort out the Hawaiian signature......:rolleyes1

I think we are chatty!! :surfweb::rotfl: We already have as many posts on this thread as there is on the Alaska that we are on! :eek: Not a very big or chatty group there, but still....4 days!! :surfweb:

I vote for Disneyland both before AND after the cruise!! :yay:

Thanks! I'll look into this. I haven't decided if I'm going to transfer my ressie to a TA yet or not. I like the OBC, but I also like being able to change things myself on DCL. Does that make a difference in how I get the insurance?I would vote for multiple groups over a large group. I have to admit the thought of a FE's for a large group stresses me out and really intimidates me. Knowing ahead of time that I will have 20 staterooms would allow me to relax and start buying now - spreading out the cost and effort. My vote would also include a cutoff date. On our first DCL cruise they had no cutoff date, so the last day before leaving for the cruise, I had to run out and try to buy more because new people had joined. I had bought these cute smiley light up magnents for each of the staterooms, but they didn't have any more, so I was stressed trying to come up with something else at the last minute.

Makes no difference. We book our own ins. whether we are with TA or DCL.

Aloha!!! :banana:

Smaller FE groups are good with us also. As others said, anyone who wants to do more can join in with more than one group. I love it when everybody is happy!! :cloud9:

And if your luggage allowance doesn't permit you to fly in your FE gifts, there is always ABC stores in Honolulu with gift size chocolate-covered Macadamia nuts in cute little Mickey boxes...

OH...I AM SO ALL OVER THAT...for gifts to bring home! Hmmmm....wonder if they'd actually make it home...:rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter