April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Inagural Wonder to Hawaii-Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traffic on a Friday at noon between LAX and DL should take you about 45 min to a hour even using our Carpool lanes on Sunday morning traffic is light. Figure no more than 40 min to come back unless there is a bad accident.

Thank you for the info.....
Sooooooooooooooo Looking forward to this trip! :cool1:

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

Aloha Kakahiaka --- Good Morning All....another busy day and night at work and traveling. Holy Week and Easter are upon us, so much to do and so little time.

Hence I am missing catching up on cruise preparations.

I think my list is longer that it was when I started it. Things keep being added.:rotfl2: Still, there are a few things crossed off. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Part of the fun is the planning and creating pre-cruise...right....:goodvibes

Have a lovely day all....

I am curious exactly "how" most of your pack your clothes. Do you roll - as people tell me to do, fold or use a system like I do?
I have used the eagle creek bags for years for packing. Since my daughter and I share suitcases we have everything in our own different packing bags and they have been awesome on getting blouses and "dress" clothes to our destination almost to completely wrinkle free. They have a really great system. But this is the first time that space is a real issue. We are driving, but the cruise is only 1/2 of our trip and we need clothes other than Hawaii sun cruise clothes with us. I will have a small suitcase for "on the road" clothes that I will leave in trunk of car and not take on ship...complete with small set of toiletries. This is also so once I close suitcases for cruise they can stay that way until in our cabin.
I need to reduce suitcase count by one if possible to make more room in the car. We always travel with a wheelchair, so it is part of planning, but now I need to include a walker, special lg. pillow and a breathing machine:eek: Sigh..I am going to have to tip a porter big $$$ to unload my car :sad2:
The real tricky part is a friend is flying down to meet us after cruise and go to Disneyland with us and riding with us to her home in SF afterwards. Wonder how upset she would be if she has to hold her bag in her lap all the way.:rotfl:.

Oh, I think I'll just empty all the dresser drawers into suitcases and sit on them! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

No, really, we usually roll the t shirts, shorts, etc. We lay the dress up clothes out,

We also are traveling with a wheelchair, and a bedrail, and a plastic shoe box to soak Patrick's feet in (he always swells up) Plus a whole drugstore that we bring with us.......

My husband thinks we are going to cut down HA! He's got a big surprise coming.....at least I told him today what I am planning for FE gifts, and he was happy. :laughing:

GOOD Morning, Happy Cruisers!

To the poster who was bringing a bed rail - if you only need it on the ship, Disney has them. Ask your stateroom host.

Packing - I roll, dh folds. Even my dress clothing is rollable. I put my small rolls in those little collapsible fabric boxes from the dollar store and unpack by lifting the box out and sliding it in the shelves under the safe. My entire wardrobe fits in that half of the closet, leaving all the drawers and the other half closet for dh. We, too, use a seperate suitcase for the road, but it will have to come on board with us, because we won't have a car to store it in.

To the person on the EBPC cruise - can you fly home on Southwest? They allow 2 FREE suitcases each, of up to 50 pounds.

Called about the new bathroom vanity yesterday. Instead of coming in NEXT week, like it was supposed to - it now will not arrive until the day we leave. I AM NOT HAPPY. We wanted to be DONE before we left.

Today - gym, return half the clothes I bought yesterday, yard work, make teddy bear shirt. Buy yarn for wedding gift afghan.

Happy Day, all.

How old are your kids? We flew with our grandsons (ages 8 and 4) and found it not bad at all. Of course there were 2 adults. But we managed carryon for all of us. For the 4 year old, we also had a car seat, but we were allowed an extra carryon bag (called it a diaper bag). We would have also been allowed a stroller. For the little ones, their clothes just don't take that much space. Each of them had a backpack and the older one pulled one of our rolling suitcases. You might be able to ask for extra assitance to get through the airport.

I got it Diane. Thank you very much.

Packing tips....I bundles up all the packing tips in one place and will add mine. We do not have the challenges of a stroller or wheel-chair but for straight packing, we have found putting all our clothes in the plastic dry cleaner bags keeps they neat and wrinkle free. I will be "test packing" for weight as that worked in PC and we were carrying two sets of dive gear as well. I even list what goes in which bag so the return trip will match the bags. I leave the clothes on lightweight hangers on the first try. Yes it is extra weight but with putting then criss cross in the suitcase, they stay fresh and then we place soft stuff inside the "nest" so to speak. We don't use the packing cubes but we do use oversize zip lock bags to store the undies, socks and the like. We always take a duffle so that we can use it as an extra bag if need be, on the way home. Our PC trip we were at 3 bags going. This trip without the dive gear, I'd like to get it to two bags. The hangers - dry cleaner ones, stay on the ship on the last day...no reason to take them home.....

I always tell myself after to the test pack to take out clothes. There is no reason I need three shirts a day. just because I have them....And shoes are a big decision. Yes, Formal dress looks better with shoes #1 and Semi formal looks better with shoes #2 but I shall have to select only one pair for all three nights.....

Finally, I am not worrying about the baggage charge....Comments on this practice will be removed in order to keep the tone of the post friendly. I am not going to sweat the baggage costs for a trip of a lifetime. I'd rather not look like Hannibal crossing the Alps leaving the house.

It is so much easier when we leave out of Port C. --- then I can just empty the drawers and go.....:rotfl2: I think this is payback for all the other cruises when I was a driver, not a flyer.

I can wear my plaid shorts with my Hawaiian shirt...right--- that goes - right!!!!!:lmao:

Happy Packing All.......

Full disclosure --- the poster would like everyone to know that her packing list is growing not shrinking.....seems like a case of do what she posts and not what she lists.:dance3:

Reality is that no one offered to do everything for me so I had no choice but to pick myself up and carry on mainly for the sake of my kids. However, if someone said I could wave the white flag within that first year, I just may have! Three and a half years later and I am in aoretty good rhythm as far as day to day life goes. I get the kids where they need to be and make sure they are doing well in school. The reality of my life hits every night about 8pm after the kids have gone to bed and I'm all alone but I go to bed and wake back up and start the process all over. So even though I have some anxiety about leaving the kids for 2 weeks, I do know that I need it. I'll have a small taste of relaxation when we set sail this Sunday to the MR. The kids still have no idea and I'll have no guilt about going without them on this cruise since they get to go next week!

:grouphug:

Good Morining Cruisers......

That would put us at 77 total instead of 94. I actually like that number better. I'm afraid that DCL is not going to find a venue big enough for all of us. I was thinking of Wavebands, but we'll see what they say. Probably another week. They usually wait until 2 weeks before we sail to assign us a room.

Thanks AGain.......

I have tried to keep up on this thread even though I haven't posted.:surfweb: All this talk about ages & packing I thought I would chime in. Age 35 for me was the worst ! My DD at that time gave me the chicken pox. Being sick doesn't even begin to describe it. :sick: Let's just say I had a really bad case inside & out. Sorry if that was TMI. Now being 40 was a great year and who knows next year I might say 48 was my great year since I am turning 48 on this cruise and going to Hawaii on DCL !!!! :goodvibes

Now on the packing...........I find it so much easier to pack when I don't have to fly ! So this time packing will be different. I am using bubble wrap to wrap the gels, lotions ect. that I plan on using for a one way trip then use the bubble wrap on return for the things I plan on buying. I am also using the cubes for the first time. I am splitting everything into 2 suitcases in case one goes missing. :sad2: I am on my way to walmart to pick up last min. items and I have already started packing crossing things off my list as they are packed. :)

Sending prayers & :wizard: to those that need it. It won't be long now. I am ready ! :woohoo:

Aloha Kakahiaka --- Good Morning All....another busy day and night at work and traveling. Holy Week and Easter are upon us, so much to do and so little time.

Hence I am missing catching up on cruise preparations.

I think my list is longer that it was when I started it. Things keep being added.:rotfl2: Still, there are a few things crossed off. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Part of the fun is the planning and creating pre-cruise...right....:goodvibes

Have a lovely day all....

::yes:: that is why I told DH to never plan to surprise me with a trip and we included our kids in the planning. :yay:

(Now, if I won a trip and had to leave soon, that is different)

I too am trying to keep my DL stuff separate from my cruise stuff. If is harder to pack when you have to fly instead of getting on the ship from here.

Linda- John and I reserved out scooters from Dercket.

Just want to check --for the Champagne Girls we leave out pink boas and crowns home???

Deb provides the pink boas and for Hawaii a pink flower not a crown for the Champagne Girls party. Other CG events may be different but she is the originator and that is what she does. She provided crowns for her other parties but this time, for Hawaii, it's a flower.

:cheer2: HALEY--LITTLEDISNEYLOVERS --I sent you a pm :cool1:

Jan/Kana

It is so much easier when we leave out of Port C. --- then I can just empty the drawers and go.....:rotfl2: I think this is payback for all the other cruises when I was a driver, not a flyer.I can wear my plaid shorts with my Hawaiian shirt...right--- that goes - right!!!!!:lmao:Happy Packing All.......

Full disclosure --- the poster would like everyone to know that her packing list is growing not shrinking.....seems like a case of do what she posts and not what she lists.:dance3:

We always get to be fliers not drivers. :headache:

Absolutely plaid shorts will be perfect with the Hawaiian shirt!! :rotfl2::thumbsup2

I received a postcard yesterday from our dentist reminding me of an appointment for my mom. I have it on my calendar and so started to toss it just now and I noticed the stamp says ALOHA and it has an Hawaiian shirt on it!! :cool1: Note....must go to post office to get me some of those. :yay: One more thing to put on my list of to dos. :rolleyes1

Does anyone have any idea what the weather should be like on our sea days?

It looks like averages are 78-82 in May on the islands, but will it be that warm on the ship going over/coming back??

I am wondering the same thing.
I understand that the 1st day out may be chilly just like when you go on the MR but I have never done that.
I don't want to wear sweaters. I hope is is warm and sunny:cool1:

Enjoyed all the postings about age and number of years with your partners. Bob and I have been married 39 years in June. I was married at 18. I don't remember getting old, it just sort of happened. I think the death of my mom, 4 years ago, made me realize our time here is limited and we need to enjoy each and every minute of it and each other.

Strolling into the PO to mail a mascot shirt to a Hawaiian DISer (walking while reading ?? :scared1: )

And

Read

This

I received a postcard yesterday from our dentist reminding me of an appointment for my mom. I have it on my calendar and so started to toss it just now and I noticed the stamp says ALOHA and it has an Hawaiian shirt on it!! :cool1: Note....must go to post office to get me some of those. :yay: One more thing to put on my list of to dos. :rolleyes1

So

I

Bought some!

Thanks Angie for your timely post.

The Clerk said "they are nothing special, only shirts."

:laughing: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :laughing: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

:upsidedow. She has NO idea!

:). Jan/Kana

For those of you tubing the ditch (or doing other water related excursions,) are you bringing a water proof camera, either a cheap one or a fancy one? I'd like to get pics but wonder how hard it will be to hold onto while tubing?

We tubed the ditch several years ago and it was great! The employees have a camera at the ready and will take action pics of everyone -- to buy -- for a small(?) fee, of course.

That's good to know! Was there an area with lockers to store your stuff?

We tubed the ditch several years ago and it was great! The employees have a camera at the ready and will take action pics of everyone -- to buy -- for a small(?) fee, of course.

:laundy:For those of you still looking for Purex 3-in-1 sheets, I found them on Amazon. Got mine today via UPS. So if you can't find them locally, you can still get them on Amazon.

Starting to pack here - can't believe we're this close to leaving. :cool1:

:laundy:For those of you still looking for Purex 3-in-1 sheets, I found them on Amazon. Got mine today via UPS. So if you can't find them locally, you can still get them on Amazon.

Starting to pack here - can't believe we're this close to leaving. :cool1:

got mine at Walmart
:hippie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter