• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Inagural Wonder to Hawaii-Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to join in all the fun! We will be sailing with everyone else in April. This is only our second cruise. We are seasoned WDW travelers and just starting cruising last year on the dream. We really enjoyed ourselves and so we booked this one! We will be spending a few days at Disneyland before the cruise since we have never been there. We from Kansas and will be bringing two little kids along, an almost 2 year old and a 3.5 year old. Really looking forward to it!

Welcome aboard! :)

EEEEK...:scared1:What a mess.....

Note to self, check and confirm flights.....

My hubby always checks our flights almost every other day it seems.
Good thing he did - about a month ago. They switched us from flying home after the cruise from 11pm on Monday to 7:30 am on Monday.
We'll still be on the boat!!

Called them, and they put us back ON THE SAME PLANE in the SAME SEATS as what they bumped us from.

Who can figure THAT one out???

Kaneki (Janet)

Are you still in the area? We are spending 2 days at DL as well. We are flying out of KCI via Southwest on April 27th. :cheer2:

We live out in central Kansas now. But, we still fly out of Kansas City most of the time. We are leaving on the 26th out of KC on southwest.

Wanted to join in all the fun! We will be sailing with everyone else in April. This is only our second cruise. We are seasoned WDW travelers and just starting cruising last year on the dream. We really enjoyed ourselves and so we booked this one! We will be spending a few days at Disneyland before the cruise since we have never been there. We from Kansas and will be bringing two little kids along, an almost 2 year old and a 3.5 year old. Really looking forward to it!

:yay: Welcome!!

I am very nervous about our stateroom assignment. We had to go with a 9C Gty because that was all that was available at the time. In retrospect I know now that we should have requested an assigned stateroom when they became available after 12/31 but we didnt.

We were assigned to room 2014 which is in the forward section of the ship. It just never occurred to me that we would be put somewhere in the forward section....I have never had a guarantee cabin so I just messed up. My husband and son get motion sickness and I am concerned about the how much motion we will have being so far forward.

My TA checked with Disney and they are unwilling to move us unless we pay thousands to upgrade to a 9A or 5C. This has been a hard lesson for us to learn on such a long and expensive cruise.

The only other option would be to see if we can change staterooms for a lower fee when we check in. I have never done this so I am wondering if any of you veteran cruiser have done this and if you have any advice. If you have stayed in this stateroom I would love to hear about your experience. Finally, if you have any tips on how to combat motion sickness I would appreciate any suggestions that have worked for you in the past.

Tomatoface

Tomatoface, we are in 2000. Just 7 staterooms down from you. It is our favorite on the ship. We were in it for the 2005 EP Pc cruise. We had some VERY rough waters because of Hurricane Hilary and IMHO the stateroom served us well. Please don't worry. I think you should be fine. We do take meclizine every day so that helped us a lot I'm sure.

I am very nervous about our stateroom assignment. We had to go with a 9C Gty because that was all that was available at the time. In retrospect I know now that we should have requested an assigned stateroom when they became available after 12/31 but we didnt.

We were assigned to room 2014 which is in the forward section of the ship. It just never occurred to me that we would be put somewhere in the forward section....I have never had a guarantee cabin so I just messed up. My husband and son get motion sickness and I am concerned about the how much motion we will have being so far forward.

My TA checked with Disney and they are unwilling to move us unless we pay thousands to upgrade to a 9A or 5C. This has been a hard lesson for us to learn on such a long and expensive cruise.

The only other option would be to see if we can change staterooms for a lower fee when we check in. I have never done this so I am wondering if any of you veteran cruiser have done this and if you have any advice. If you have stayed in this stateroom I would love to hear about your experience. Finally, if you have any tips on how to combat motion sickness I would appreciate any suggestions that have worked for you in the past.

Tomatoface

What?!?! This seems ridiculous! There are more 9Cs than practically anything. There are 44 9Cs located aft on Deck 2. In fact, I went on the Disney website just now and was able to book a 9C for a family with kids your ages. Now granted, maybe it is letting me book a 9C because they still have just forward staterooms, but I'd be surprised.

Who is your TA? I would call your pedatrician and see if they would write a note to the effect that your son gets motion sickness and see if your TA can call again and ask to have you moved based on his medical need. It can't hurt - they have already said no.

I would also consider calling DCL yourself and pleading your case. The DCL gal who helped me get my ILs' room went WAY above and beyond to try to accomodate our needs.

Crossing my fingers for you - I would not give up!

Stephanie

Corinna, I think it was decided that the DIS meet would be in the Promenade Lounge at 3 pm where we would also get our lanyards.

BTW, I am also doing the wine tour in Ensenada!

If I did not put any comment behind something, then I have all I need, but thanks for looking out for me.

YIKES, I'm POC for a lot of stuff!! :scared1:

I'll PM you some updates, Corinna - thanks!

I got them, thanks. Do you also have a list of participants for the Poker and a list of participating staterooms for the Stateroom tour? Nearer the time, I am also happy to add the map.

My husband has been making fun of me since we booked this cruise a few weeks ago. I've been reading this thread non-stop, to gather all the extremely valuable information you all have to offer. Never having cruised before, it's been so helpful. But it took a long time to read it, and he's been calling me a stalker. I'm not, but I don't have much to say, other than thanks for the help you didn't realize you were giving, and we're looking forward to the time with our little ones. I'll be at the little people meet with our son (6) and daughter (3). They're so excited to go on "the hotel boat."

Welcome on board.

Welcome on board.

Corinna

Welcome! :cool1:

Good thing he did - about a month ago. They switched us from flying home after the cruise from 11pm on Monday to 7:30 am on Monday.

Called them, and they put us back ON THE SAME PLANE in the SAME SEATS as what they bumped us from.

Kaneki (Janet)

Janet -

The same kind of thing happened to us. We had a connection in Houston coming back but they had us leaving Houston before we arrived there. I had to call and the person could not understand how that happened. We got it straightened out but it took about 30 minutes on the phone. I now check our flights at least once a week. Maybe I should start doing it more often as we get closer to leaving.

Dale

Dale - here is a different translation --- MEA NOHO I KE AWAWA

Dale is a name that can be used for bth girls and boys. It is from the old English and means a dweller in a valley.

In Hawaiian, MEA NOHO I KE AWAWA would mean a dweller (AWAWA meaning valley).

The Hawaiianized-English form however is KAILA.... whish is the the Hawiianized form of the English word "style".

Thanks but that is much too long. It will never fit on the back of my credit card!:rotfl2:

more news on car rental.....I called the enterprise office and spoke to the nicest agent....she said to go to the Enterprise website, choose LAX and put in to return to same location, but when we arrive at the airport to rent the car, tell them that we will be going on a cruise out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro and that we'll be returning there! There's a free shuttle to the port.

BUT remember, the office is only open from 9-12 on Sundays. You can do a late return, but there won't be a shuttle, you will have to take a taxi.

Connie

I know I'm alot behind on reading :surfweb: so I apologize in advance if this was answered, but does anyone know if there is a drop off charge for picking up the car at LAX and dropping it off in San Pedro?

Thanks

Tomatoface

Green apples work wonders. Get a couple from Goofy's Galley and keep them in your room. Take the meclizine every day, or get the patches from your doctor. Not sure about children with the patch. Ginger is also very good. At the first sign I get up to deck 10 and walk for abit if possible. Fresh air, green apples.
i wonder what movies theyll have on the ship

I am wondering the same.

Has anyone booked a separate excursion to National Volcano Park in Hilo? We are booked on the Disney excursion, but I would like to have a little more time there, and do some more hiking rather than being shuttled around to the Macadamia farms and touristy things.

Kaneki (Janet)

Janet -

The same kind of thing happened to us. We had a connection in Houston coming back but they had us leaving Houston before we arrived there. I had to call and the person could not understand how that happened. We got it straightened out but it took about 30 minutes on the phone. I now check our flights at least once a week. Maybe I should start doing it more often as we get closer to leaving.

Dale

Let me guess... both of you are on Continetal/United?? I had used miles for one ticket and happened to check one day and they not only moved us from a non-stop to a layover in Houston... the first agent said that there were no more seats available FF miles!! I called back and talked to a nice lady who made it right. Had to do it again a few weeks later when they did the same thing to the flight I paid for. It had to do with the switchover from Continental flights to United. I check every other day!

Debbie

A question about customs: how will customs work for things that we purchase in Hawaii when we leave the ship in L.A.? Will we just not need to declare those items?

Are we the only ones staying at Paradise Pier hotel?We would like to join one of the meets. We will be doing the World of Color earlier show on April 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter