• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Inagural Wonder to Hawaii-Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaiian names....I'll look in my book for some of the missing names as it is not a strict translation. It takes the meaning of the word and then translates that meaning into Hawaiian.

Here is the best I can do without the book.

How about KALA....

Start with Gydell....no help there. Nothing listed. Was it sometype of a family or place name?

What are other spellings, several come up including Gydel - which is a male name. Perhaps add the other "l" for a baby girl?

So what does Gydel mean - again no help.

So I found this.... People with the name Gydel have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.

Well, it fits a cruiser....

What is an English name for a an adventourous girl? I get

Farren ... "Adventurous."

Fernanda ... "Adventurous; bold journey." ...

Sarah ... Sarah shared an adventurous nomadic life with her husband Abraham ...

Of these, I can easily translate Sara to KALA....do you like that?

For LEXA.....

Lexani = Lekani
So Lexa could be Leka.....

or

Lexa = Alekaneka

Lexa is a variant of Alexandra (Greek) and Lexie (Greek), and the meaning of Lexa is "man's defender".

The Hawaiian for Alexnadra is Alekaneka.

Since you dropped part of your root word, try dropping part of the Hawaiian word...And you get...Lekane. Which is very close to Lekani .....I tried to plug that into a dictionery to make sure it was not a "bad" word and it did not even come up as a workd so you should be safe.

Leka would translate to "mail".

Remember there are not 36 letters in the Hawiaan alphapbet

HAve fun!

For LEXA.....

Lexani = Lekani
So Lexa could be Leka.....

or

Lexa = Alekaneka

Lexa is a variant of Alexandra (Greek) and Lexie (Greek), and the meaning of Lexa is "man's defender".

The Hawaiian for Alexnadra is Alekaneka.

Since you dropped part of your root word, try dropping part of the Hawaiian word...And you get...Lekane. Which is very close to Lekani .....I tried to plug that into a dictionery to make sure it was not a "bad" word and it did not even come up as a workd so you should be safe.

Leka would translate to "mail".

Remember there are not 36 letters in the Hawiaan alphapbet

HAve fun!

Thanks for finding this for me!

Lexa is just my nickname I use on boards and games. My real name is Aleksandra, which would be Alexandra in English :) But friends call me Alex :)

Chiming in on the casual dinners....since DH and I both love Hawaiian themed clothes that is what you will normally see us in. I have two sundresses and of course the skirt made from cruise material that will take any number of blouses. DH has black dockers paired with a Hawaiian shirt.....both of our shirts double for deck shirts the next day.

Chiming in on the casual dinners....since DH and I both love Hawaiian themed clothes that is what you will normally see us in. I have two sundresses and of course the skirt made from cruise material that will take any number of blouses. DH has black dockers paired with a Hawaiian shirt.....both of our shirts double for deck shirts the next day.

Bob loves Hawaiian shirts - that is all he wears. He has over 250 of them. In addition to the new ones he buys, we go the the vintage clothes stores and thrift shops looking for vintage Hawaiian shirts. While he has bought tons of new shirts in Hawaii, he has never had any luck in their thrift stores.
He looks for shirts made in Hawaii and is pretty selective. I love Tommy Bahama silk shirts, and he has a number of them, but he prefers the cotton Tori Richard from Hawaii. At least here in the west coast, we find tons of them in the thrift stores. We often find them with the tags still one them, $100 shirts for $5. I guess people buy them for, or on, vacation and then find they don't wear them and send them to the Goodwill or Salvations Army. I look for books while he hunts for shirts.
So you'll see Bob with a different Hawaii shirt each day. When he was teaching high school he would give a prize to the student who noticed he had worth the same shirt twice, which he would do one time a semester.
In the islands, Walmart has the best selection and price for cotton, wear-on-vacation Hawiian shirts. They also have a good selection of women's inexpensive hawaiian clothes. They are all over the islands.

DCL does rent tuxedos but since DH has only ever worn a fancy suit for our wedding (42 years ago), it is highly unlikely that he would ever want to spend the money for a tux--rental or purchase.

Some people prefer to go to Beach Blanket Buffet (which is a sit down dinner) for formal and semi-formal nights. But, we like the "show" of the restaurants so we have never done that.

We go to the restaurants and I want you to know that even on Formal night we have seen men in shorts and women in sun dresses. The range of clothing runs the spectrum.

Since we are flying on Delta and have to pay for our luggage it is highly likely that DH will bring a sports jacket, dark slacks, a white shirt and one tie for formal night and a blue shirt and different tie for semi-formal night.

Do what works for you both. It is your husband's vacation too.

Jan/Kana

Jan - from one Jan to another, thanks for the tip. It is indeed my hubby's vacation too, and I don't want him "embarrassed" or to feel awkward.
I think he is going to see if his black jacket fits ;-)

Appreciate everyone's tips - it certainly makes it less stressful!

And someone else posted the link to the tux rentals - I REALLY appreciate that as well.

This group rocks!
:cheer2:

Hello Stateroom Hosts:

I just want to confirm that you would still like to participate as a stateroom host and that I have your correct stateroom...could you pm me?? Here is the list I have: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...qTlE&authkey=CM3s8vIH&authkey=CM3s8vIH#gid=26

We still need to select a date/time - I'm just waiting for Champagne Girls to get confirmed as either May 2nd or 3rd and then I'll go ahead and choose the other day if that works for all of you.

KugalBelle
amyreneemt
Lexa
Valbob89
BethE
PixieGran (Handicapped style room)
JohnGar / LauraGar
Brendmar
Fivepin
cdndisneydaddy
SanDiegoSteph (Secret Porthole room)
OH 6 (regular style)
MrsMork (Sideways)
Dolphingirl47

If anyone has a REGULAR 10A that would like to host that would be great.

Just let me know!

Thanks
Stephanie

Any one keen to join the candy swap has 48 hours before I close off the groups.

Please PM me and please do not change the spreadsheet :)

I will then confirm how the groups have been finally set.

ROOM CHANGE!!!

My cabin has changed - Michael and I are now in cabin 8560 - we got an upgrade!

Please change all your lists - I am on ALL FE lists

We were in a handicapped cabin and got shifted due to necessity - please update all the lists!

You were my next door neighbor :sad2: I am amazed you were given that cabin to begin with or not upgraded sooner as there is a waiting list for accessible cabins and has been since day one :confused3 We were on it for six months...... Disney seems to be a little screwed up this time with cabin assignments There have never been so bad about helping people get what they need and I don't just mean accessible but people needing to be next to older relatives traveling with them, families in multiple cabins etc. I think they have been so swamped with Fantasy coming out they have not been as on too as they should be....wonder if they added enough new people to handle now having 4 ships????
Pixiegran aka Judy aka Iuki

I plan on a dressier evening for Formal and semi formal nights. I was just trying to decide what to pack for regular dinner nights. I am going to try my best to pack "light"!.. I am going to try to avoid the big challenge of toting lots of luggage and 2 young boys around! I am going to TRY to get by with once suitcase for me, and one for the boys. I utilized Babies Travel Lite for my diapering essentials. 15 nights of diapers would take a suitcase in itself! I have been prcratinating packing, but I guess I batter start getting and idea of what I am going to pack, so I know what I still need!.. I am SO a last minute packer.. It might come to bite me in the back side! :rolleyes1

Are you flying in and going straight to ship? If you are coming the day before like a lot of us you could wait and get any extra diapers you think you will need at a local store and not bother with a lot in your luggage.

Are you flying in and going straight to ship? If you are coming the day before like a lot of us you could wait and get any extra diapers you think you will need at a local store and not bother with a lot in your luggage.

We are flying in on the 27th.. And spending a couple days at DL. I ordered daiper supplies via Babies Travel Lite, that way they are on the ship waiting. We will only need to travel with a small supply for the 2 days before we board. He only uses about 3 a day, so that shouldn't take up to much luggage space.. And actually will probably only need to be put in a diaper bag. Thank you for the idea!.. I was thinking about doing a local store run for things like shampoos and heavier items that would take up space in our checked bags..I understand there is a Target or WalMart about a mile away from the Candy Cane Inn where we are staying prior, so that is just a short cab ride away!.. I still need to do a "practice" packing so I know what I might need to buy there or bring along. The thought of packing for me and 2 young boys has me a little :scared1:!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter