April 21-26 Wonder Report

dvclovers

Earning My Ears
We booked our first cruise on the Disney Wonder for our 20th Anniversary. Included our 2 children ages 10 and shy of 13. We are Disney Vacation Club members so used and borrowed points to make it happen.

Stayed at Old Key West the first night and last night prior to returning to Wisconsin. This was the first time in a studio room. We found it to be very nice, not as nice though as the 1400 SQ FT 2 bedrooms (image that).

Wanted to stop in Cocoa Beach at Ron Jon's Surf Shop (open 24 hours a day) before boarding the ship. Decided against the surf shop stop, can always go after the cruise. We are we glad we went right to the ship. Arrived around 12:30-12:45pm on that Sunday and we were eating lunch by 1:20pm. Disney does an excellent job at getting you where you need to be (on time)! Make sure you have all your cruise tickets (ticket book) filled out. I couldn't believe there were so many people that needed to do this. Security was casual, for whatever reason I was the one getting stopped!?

Our excursions included Atlantis (Nassau), Glass bottom boat ride (Freeport) and Bananna Boat (Castaway Cay). Atlantis was rushed. We realize that the tours are on a time frame, but for the amount we paid thought they could slow down. What a beautiful resort. Lots to see and take pictures of. Our pictures look just like postcards. Took 7 rolls of film during this 4 day cruise. All worth it! After Atlantis went to the straw market which was temporarily setup across from where our water taxi docked. The people were friendly and our hearts went out to them. Kids got a first hand taste of what bartering is all about. If you barter you will find good deals.

Glass bottom boat ride in Freeport was nice. They sold drinks on board. Prices were reasonable. I think I paid about $2 for a beer and eother $1-2 for a soda. These were in cans, not poured into smaller cups. We saw a few reefs and then some Carribbean reef sharks. The glass bottom boat ride we had in Jamacia at Sandals was much better. After getting off the boat went shopping at some of the jewelry stores.

Castaway Cay was wonderful. The bananna boat ride was great, especially as you went around the Wonder. The food was typical BBQ. There was enough (always) to eat. Daughter got braids done at $1 per.

I worked out every morning riding the bike. I found that if you go mid morning or mid afternoon, you might find yourself as the only one there.

Leaving the ship was as easy if not easier than getting on (for time that is, we didn't want to leave). We had the early 6pm seating every night, so the breakfast the last day was at 6:45am. We were off the boat in our rental car and driving to Cocoa Beach by 8:20am!

We missed alot of things the Wonder had to offer during the cruise. Went to live shows every night. They were simply "Wonder"ful! Kids signed up and went to the Oceaneer's Club (Lab) every day. We had dinner with our children 2 of the 4 nights. They mainly did dinner and a show every night.

We will be doing a 7 day Western Cruise with Disney in 2004. Want to feel more at Sea. Can't say enough about our first cruise. We were in room 7010 and found it to be big enough for our liking. Tips for the 4 day cruise were $178 for the 4 of us. We paid for everything the night before. Our entire cruise bill was under $800. We tried to keep it low. Enjoyed the drink of the day, everyday. Never spent more than $12 per day on alcohol. If your kids will be joining the Oceaneer's Club or Lab, don't spend the money on a soda cup. We didn't buy any and never once did our children ask for a soda.

Looking forward to another cruise.

1998 - Carribbean Beach Resort
1999 - All Star Movies
2000 - Old Key West (2 bedroom)
2001 - Old Key West (2 bedroom)
2002 - Old Key West (Studio):earsboy:

Great report! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Two of my children are that age! Could you tell me a bit more about the clubs for them? Thanks!

There are 4 such clubs for children on the cruise. They range from the Oceaneer Club (ages 5-7), Oceaneer Lab (8-9), Oceaneer Lab (10-12) and Common Grounds (teenagers).

A typical day was as follows, 10am-12p Hangin In Common Grounds (they take over the Teen Club and enjoy the activities without the teenagers. 12:15-1pm Lunch several smaller activites during the afternoon, then from roughly 5pm-8pm every night there was dinner and a movie, private pool parties afterwards, science sorcery, human board games or just hangin and talking to newly found friends.

It took our 10 year old daughter some getting used to , however after the second day she wanted to be where the kids were and not with us. We had to force both children to join us for dinner the last evening, 'cause this is when we celebrated our anniversary.

We found lots of time to share it the children and more time than we ever expected to be by ourselves. As they say, "wink, wink, hint, hint"

Enjoy the cruis, we sure did and can't wait for a return visit, however this time to the magic for a 7 nighter.

:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter