• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 2017 check in thread, come in and chat!

We leave on Friday! Today is my last day of work, then I have a boring seminar to sit through the next 2 1/2 days. Got all my laundry caught up and have pulled out the suitcases. So excited to stay at the California Grand, it will be our first trip as DVC members. Only bad thing is there is rain in the forecast for Saturday. Hopefully its a drizzle and it keeps the locals away!

Anybody going to Knott's berry farm? I'm leaning towards not visiting DLR after all. I now have an AP tho for Knott's.

Anybody going to Knott's berry farm? I'm leaning towards not visiting DLR after all. I now have an AP tho for Knott's.
We're not going but I've often wondered if a couple of my kids would prefer it. The passes are dead cheap comparatively. So what's making you think about jumping ship?:scared: We have ap's we got in January but if the crowds continue to as be as bad as they were when we went in January I will be done after this year. At least until the hub bub of Star Wars Land is over. We leave on Saturday and I'm really excited to be going back but scared of the crowds too. It's not just about waiting in long lines but also feeling like you can't move in certain places. It's such an investment of time, money and effort that I wish it could still be more laid back and it's not nor do I think it ever will be again. I actually feel really blessed because at least my family knows what we like and want to do and can skip things without feeling like we will be missing out.

I would be interested to know what you think of Knott's compared to Disneyland.

We are staying at the Grand Californian the 25-28th. We specifically picked this week as it was the same time we went last year, definitely not as busy during this time, the longest wait we had was 45 mins for a ride but the majority were around 20 mins. However I noticed that the Disneyland hotels seem to be booked up this year so not sure if it will be busier this year or maybe a conference, which may not be related to the parks. You picked a good week, I think.
Don't know anything about DL or their hotels but there is DECA National convention being held in Anaheim April 26-29 so that might be why things are booked up. My daughter made it to nationals along with 14 other kids in our high school from New Jersey. So they will be traveling to CA just a few weeks after they got back from their senior trip in WDW/Universal Orlando. They are staying at Sheraton Hotel and get to go to Universal one evening and DL another day:)

Can someone tell me if there is a grocery service that delivers right to the hotel? They are gonna be there from April 26-30 so I wanted to order a few things for them to keep in the room such as snacks/bottled waters. Thanks in advance!!

Can someone tell me if there is a grocery service that delivers right to the hotel? They are gonna be there from April 26-30 so I wanted to order a few things for them to keep in the room such as snacks/bottled waters. Thanks in advance!!
I did research on this and we ultimately went with Vons (which is also Safeway). Prices were decent. I also read Amazon Pantry delivers (or maybe Amazon Fresh?) I was able to get things my family will eat for breakfast like muffins, etc, drinks like Gatorade, water, and chocolate milk, and some sweet treats/snacks like oreos and cheese-its. I haven't received the order because we don't go for another week but the ordering process was easy and I was able to pick a time for delivery that was convenient.

We also use Von's. I've used them a couple of times on previous trips and just put in an order for this trip a few days ago. If you are using them fir the first time, they have a code for free delivery over $50.

We used Amazon Prime Now for groceries last December. Delivery was free and we even had a $10 off coupon. Their selection is limited though. If they don't have the items you need then Von's is a good idea.

Thank you everyone:) I will look into both Vons and Amazon Prime Now for the snacks/water. We don't have to order much, since there are two dinners and three/maybe four Panera breakfasts included in the trip. But even snacks/waters on hand will help cut down on the cost of the trip which was unexpected, right smack in the middle of senior trip($$) and prom($$)

Thank you everyone:) I will look into both Vons and Amazon Prime Now for the snacks/water. We don't have to order much, since there are two dinners and three/maybe four Panera breakfasts included in the trip. But even snacks/waters on hand will help cut down on the cost of the trip which was unexpected, right smack in the middle of senior trip($$) and prom($$)

I used two codes: MSFTSAVE which saved me $5 and EASY7 which got me free delivery.

April 16-22 for our 20th Anniversary. We honeymooned in DL and boy has it changed! Although it was busy 20 years ago too! There was some sort of SoCal pass incentive in 1997. I see big crowds are expected after Easter as well. So excited though!!!

I am stuck on hotel choices and currently hold 2 reservations:

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate and Residence Inn at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
anyone have experience with with either or both?

thanks!

Last edited:
April 16-22 for our 20th Anniversary. We honeymooned in DL and boy has it changed! Although it was busy 20 years ago too! There was some sort of SoCal pass incentive in 1997. I see big crowds are expected after Easter as well. So excited though!!!

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate and Residence Inn at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

thanks!

We spent our honeymoon at Disneyland as well, just 2 year after you!

I am of no help with the hotel choices, we've never stayed at either of your two choices.

We''ve stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate a couple times. It's nothing fancy, but certainly nice to have the kitchenette and extra space. Take advantage of their grocery delivery service assuming they still do that. It's a bit further walk than the hotels/motels on Harbor, but not too bad. I would recommend asking for a unit on the 2nd floor and away from the pool. The pool is near the housekeeping area and basketball court and it can get quite load in that vicinity. We got located their on our 2nd visit and we had them move us. From the porches of some of the 2nd floor units you can see the fireworks. The rooms furnishings in the room were a bit tired, but we haven't stayed there in a couple years so maybe they have been updated.

Since my life is already insanely busy right now, I decided I needed to push myself over the edge and make my daughter pirate Minnie ears to go with her pink pirate costume, which then went to deciding I should also make some to go with her Snow White costume. Then she decided I need to make a pair for myself since I'm making two for her. Our flight leaves on Wednesday. I can do this.

Just got back - intense crowds but a wonderful trip! We stayed at GCH this Mon-Weds and we all had a blast!
Random thoughts - chilly in the early morning and evenings, hot in the afternoon- dress in layers! Other than at Carsland, and right in front of the castle, Photopass photographers were in short supply - a bit of a bummer! If you're excited about the food festival, read up about it in advance- the booths are spread out and I didn't get to try out as much stuff as I had wanted to!

Mon - we checked in early, got in line at the main entrance for DCA, rode RSR, TSMM, Screamin', Fun Wheel (this was our first time on this ride - would not ride again, it stalled and it was not good), Very yummy lunch at Lucky Fortune - I think we were all pleasantly surprised! DD's favorite ride was Soarin - she got to ride 3 times bc of FPs and rider swap. We also got to ride RSR 3 times - we were only able to ride it in the early evening by of rider swap, the FPs ran out by mid morning!

Tues - most intense crowds of our trip, the MM was packed. We did PP, Dumbo, Tea cups, before going to BLAB - and the line was already at 20 min! The line for POC was the longest I've ever seen...We had a our only TS lunch of the trip at Cafe Orleans - the Monte Cristo! Everyone also loved the bowl of gumbo/rice my DD had - too stuffed for dessert though...After riding HM w/o FP, we decided no more rides without FP - the lines were just too long.

Weds - we decided to do DL for our last day be we didn't get to ride IJ on Tues since it was down. We beelined there first while DH ran to get ST FPs and was able to meet us there, then Jungle Cruise, then back to Tomorrowland. Lots of crisscrossing the park for DH to get FPs but it was well worth it! Made the day so much better to only ride with FPs (except for IASW - a family favorite and a fast line anyway). Ended the day with ice cream as per our family tradition to make leaving a little less painful....All in all, a wonderful trip!

thanks!

We are booked into that RI and it looks good, still have Desert Palms Inn and Suites on hold though but the price difference is $150 cheaper for RI. Family want Desert Palms as we stayed there last time.

Mon - we checked in early, got in line at the main entrance for DCA, rode RSR, TSMM, Screamin', Fun Wheel (this was our first time on this ride - would not ride again, it stalled and it was not good), Very yummy lunch at Lucky Fortune - I think we were all pleasantly surprised! DD's favorite ride was Soarin - she got to ride 3 times bc of FPs and rider swap. We also got to ride RSR 3 times - we were only able to ride it in the early evening by of rider swap, the FPs ran out by mid morning!

We plan on doing a combo of rider swap and FP this time. Last trip we had a large group and surplus grandparents so didn't really bother. If we have 3 tallies and one under 40", is it right that I can get, for example 2 FP for Star tours and 2 for Hyperspace and just syow them my shortie at the entrance? The other parent won't need a FP for that attraction too? Do the rider swap passes have return times or can I come back later?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter