April 2016 School Vacation Airfares

JoeCathyAngelina

Lord be willing all goes well, see you next year.
I usually book my April 16-23rd 2016 northeast school vacation airfares the minute they become available. This year with the drop in fuel cost I thought it would be one of my cheapest airfares in a long time. I was wrong. Everywhere from Jacksonville to Miami the fares and flight times out of Boston and near by airports are the worst I've seen in a long time. I'm hoping the fares will be adjusted when JetBlue and Southwest post their fares and schedules. Anybody have any suggestions other than driving down to Florida.

Good Luck All,
Joe

Unfortunately, the airlines know that they have you when it comes to school vacation weeks. We live in NH so I know your pain! I always waited until Southwest released their fares as the other airlines seemed to base their fares off of SW's.

One year we were able to get decent fares out of Hartford. It was a 2 hour drive for us, but with 6 of us traveling it was a $1200 difference from either Boston or Manchester, NH so we made the drive. We've also flown out of Portland, ME before too. Again, it was a significant savings per ticket which made the 2 hour drive worth it.

Same here... wife teaches so we can only go during vacations. We used to be able to go when airfare was cheaper but since 2012, no Disney for us. The airlines pound it to you because they can. A lot of people will pay $600+ per person to fly down. I just cant justify that price. I will not drive half of my vacation either. I have my fingers crossed but it just does not look good for a third year in a row. I don't mean to be a downer but I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to $500+ as soon as the dates are released.I really do miss the old days of 2005-20012...we went to Disney 3 times in that span. I believe around October or November last year the fares went down a little at Logan and Manchester but it was too late for us. We committed to a couple small trips which were very fun and saved thousands. I wish I had a suggestion or tip but its so hard to predict.

So right. March and April rates from the mid Atlantic have been terrible for the last few years. We went with family last March but almost everyone drove due to the costs. This year, most decided on different locations.

we book the day they release also, and with Jetblue we have had aroun 1,300/ 1,380 for 4 of us nonstop out of BDL. never have we paid over 500 per person and we have been going in april for years. yes the prices climb days and hours after they are released but if you book the morning they come out you should be ok!

With all the mergers, there are less options and they can get away with charging more.

I have tried it for the last few years and it was just tooo expensive. The supply and demand keeps them high. Even the budget flights from Allegiant are high flying into Sanford. In the Fall we have grabbed some super low fares. Did you price the train? I know its longer, but if you leave that night and arrive the next morning its doable. Maybe even watch for less expensive airfare for coming home. The really early flights and late nights are generally lower. That drive is miserable and all the fuel, hotel room and tolls a strain. At least on the train you get student rates and take your food. The best part is no long hours behind the wheel. We took auto train twice one way, but that is very expensive.

I was checking Airfares earlier today and saw a nice nonstop 4/16/16-4/23/16 Boston to Miami flight for $306 per person $918 total for the 3 of us on the American Airlines web site. I hum and hawed and thought about it for a couple of hours then I decided to book it. I went back to the web site, punched up the same flight and the price went up. $389 per person $1167 total. Has this been happening to anybody else lately; am I being tracked every time I punch up a flight?
Good Luck All,
Joe

Joe...this past year we booked the minute the fares opened on Sw and used points leaving from Hartford. Within a few hours, the points needed almost doubled. Crazy, I know.

We used to go every Feb. break and here are some things that we did that helped to get reasonable airfare.

1. Fly down early...like Wed. at the latest. If possible, fly out as many people as possible and have your wife meet you on Fri. or Sat and pay more only for one ticket. Not ideal, but can make a big difference cost wise...even paying for a couple extra nights hotel. Can always find a cheap hotel in Orlando for a couple nights.

2. Fly out of one airport and home to another. Would require someone driving and picking you up...friend...car service, etc.

3. Fly one airline down and another one back based on the cheaperst one way rates.

4. Consider flying out of White Plains, NY, Stewart Airport, Albany or Newark. We have done this several times and it makes a huge difference in price. We find PVD, BDL, BOS, and Manchester are usually higher than the others that week.

We have done all of these at one time or another. It was the only way we could afford to fly our family if five. Leaving Sat. to Sat. of school vacation weeks makes the cost just exorbitant.

Good luck to you!!

I also forgot...we also have flown INTO other airports besides MCO. Any airport in FL is only a few hours from MCO. Not ideal, but may make the trip possible.

Last April we drove because I couldn't stomach $500+ each for 5 tickets. Dh really doesn't want to drive next year so I'm hoping to book the day fares come out. What's the best way to know when Southwest releases their schedule?

Basket Lacey...they list it right on their site. June 30 is when they will release next.

We live in RI and we have saved tons by driving to Hartford and going on Southwest. We book the minute the flights are released and have saved half from going out of PVD. You can save even more if you are willing to drive to Long Island for Southwest or JFK for Jetblue. Those areas do not have the same spring break.

Hartford is an easy airport to navigate and 1 week parking cost us $40.

Basket Lacey...they list it right on their site. June 30 is when they will release next.

Thanks,

Anybody know or can guess when JetBlue and Spirit will come out with their April 2016 flight schedule?

Jet Blue currently runs through February 10, 2016.

Spirit Airline is booking through March 31, 2016

Last edited:
Thanks,

Anybody know or can guess when JetBlue and Spirit will come out with their April 2016 flight schedule?

Jet Blue currently runs through February 10, 2016.

Spirit Airline is booking through March 31, 2016
Last year JetBlue released fares til April 30, 2014 on July 13, 2014. There is an extension thread on Flyer Talk that lists the flight schedule release dates. It runs pretty close to previous years most of the time.

Last year JetBlue released fares til April 30, 2014 on July 13, 2014. There is an extension thread on Flyer Talk that lists the flight schedule release dates. It runs pretty close to previous years most of the time.

Still can't help but to check their website everything. LOL. Just like checking the release of BOG breakfast.

Two things I learned from the research for April flight: 1. JetBlue releases in July and the other airlines will adjust with JetBlue and Southwest releases, 2. Buy as soon as I'm comfortable with the price. Prices could come down, but most likely not the flight time I would like.

I am (im)patiently waiting for April flights too!

My sister moved to Ft. Myers a few yrs ago so we drive one year, took the auto train the next year and this past April we flew.

We did fly in/out of Tampa and we had a connection from Hartford so it was a long day of flying.

Our flights were around $240 rt and we left on good Friday. I got them the first day they came out on delta. When JB released their fares, the direct flight from Hartford was only about $10-$20 more...argh...

I have been checking and all flights on delta are at least $500 out of Hartford, providence, Lga, JFK and HPN. So now I wait for JB. Worse comes to worse we will drive again.

I am looking at flying down on Easter Sunday and flying home the next Saturday because we have a cruise that leaves the day after Easter. I'm getting around $500 each if I'm lucky. Even is southwest charges $400 each I'm saving money at this point.
Daisyx3

jetblue says they are releasing on July 8th through May 3rd! I will be up and ready to book !

jetblue says they are releasing on July 8th through May 3rd! I will be up and ready to book !

Thanks so much. Jet Blue begins nonstop from BWI. If SW only opens until march 8th (?) I think I'll wait for Jet Blue and book with them for our Spring trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter