• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 2011 Check-In

I'm still waffling over dinner and show plans. We are there for such a short time maybe that's why I'm having issues, though people keep saying 3/4 days is plenty in Anaheim. I really can't decide if WOC is worth it to wait for with 3 boys (9, 12 and 14) and a husband who doesn't like crowds. He said OK to the picnic which I can't book til 30 days out anyway, but I can't help wondering if we're going to wait an hour in a crowd to see a 20 minute show they don't end up appreciating KWIM? Also haven't made up my mind about dinner at Goofy's. It looks great and has good reviews and I really think the boys would enjoy the buffet and the characters even if they wouldn't admit it...but again what if I'm wrong and they don't appreciate it and we wasted time (and money!) there. I know I NEED to have plans and reservations because of the busy time we are going at. My non-planner husband doesn't get this though so it's all up to me then I feel like a drill sargeant trying to keep on schedule.

I'm still waffling over dinner and show plans. We are there for such a short time maybe that's why I'm having issues, though people keep saying 3/4 days is plenty in Anaheim. I really can't decide if WOC is worth it to wait for with 3 boys (9, 12 and 14) and a husband who doesn't like crowds. He said OK to the picnic which I can't book til 30 days out anyway, but I can't help wondering if we're going to wait an hour in a crowd to see a 20 minute show they don't end up appreciating KWIM? Also haven't made up my mind about dinner at Goofy's. It looks great and has good reviews and I really think the boys would enjoy the buffet and the characters even if they wouldn't admit it...but again what if I'm wrong and they don't appreciate it and we wasted time (and money!) there. I know I NEED to have plans and reservations because of the busy time we are going at. My non-planner husband doesn't get this though so it's all up to me then I feel like a drill sargeant trying to keep on schedule.

I'm in the same boat with WOC. My kids are 3 and 4 and I'm just not sure if it will work for us this time. We are doing Goofys and Minnie character breakfasts. I was talking to my husband about scheduling and he wants to wing it. He doesn't understand the busy time. With two little kids I want to have a pretty good plan of what we are going to do especially if its busy.

Yeah my husband always does this to me when we travel, he always says he wants to wing it then when he sees the crowds and everyone else waiting and we have reservations THEN he says "wow good thing WE planned..." haha. I have which park we are doing which day all layed out and pretty much set around the MM hours etc, so not changing those. I'm trying to compromise a little leaving room for spontaneous meals but again, ressies are a must for Disney seated meals or shows!

Yeah my husband always does this to me when we travel, he always says he wants to wing it then when he sees the crowds and everyone else waiting and we have reservations THEN he says "wow good thing WE planned..." haha. I have which park we are doing which day all layed out and pretty much set around the MM hours etc, so not changing those. I'm trying to compromise a little leaving room for spontaneous meals but again, ressies are a must for Disney seated meals or shows!

LOL - I'll hear the WE planned bit too. That is hilarious. :rotfl: I have the parks figured out by day set around MM too. What other shows do you and your family do?

I'm going with my sister and her three kids (ages 4, 7 and 9) April 5th-11th. We aren't telling them. We're just going to go. We're going to San Diego first and the day we leave just happens to be April 1st. That may prove to be entertaining. We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have found some very helpful tips so thank you. A few questions. What day would you suggest we use MM? Best day for WOC?

We went last year and that was the kids first time. This will be my 6th time. I'm so excited! I've been looking up stuff nearly every day which is only getting me more excited.:cheer2:

Tough call on WOC. If I had younger kids I wouldn't bother. There is just too many hoops one has to jump in order to have a quality view/experience.

I have seen WOC twice. One with preferred "standing" eating at Ariel's and one with the picnic. Both were during slower times in the park. I can't imagine how April is going to be! :scared1: We are not planning to see it this time. I think I might give the backside of WOC a try, if we are in that area.

I'm sure many posters would say you have to experience WOC at least once. I suppose, but I wouldn't pick spring break season to do it. It's going to be a zoo.

We enjoyed our meal at Ariel's, but I don't think the preferred standing area is worth it. I think the Blue section is actually better. We thought the picnics were tasty and worth the money.

These are just my opinions, YMMV. I have to admit that WOC is my least favorite nighttime attraction at either WDW or DL. I think it is pretty, but too long. It just does have the emotional impact like Illuminations or Wishes.

I think the key to a successful WOC is making it the focus of your day. Get plenty of rest and take advantage of the meal packages. Bring treats and toys to occupy your kids. There is a lot of standing and waiting. I brought a small throw so my youngest could sit and play with glowsticks until the show. She couldn't see anything so my husband picked her up (not on his shoulders). The amount of displeasure from other guest was surprising. Just be aware that it is very hard for young ones to see. If you are close enough to not having anyone in front of you, you miss out on the scope of WOC. If you get to a rail on one of the tiers you take the risk that someone will put someone on their shoulders...even adults!

Tough call on WOC. If I had younger kids I wouldn't bother. There is just too many hoops one has to jump in order to have a quality view/experience.

I have seen WOC twice. One with preferred "standing" eating at Ariel's and one with the picnic. Both were during slower times in the park. I can't imagine how April is going to be! :scared1: We are not planning to see it this time. I think I might give the backside of WOC a try, if we are in that area.

I'm sure many posters would say you have to experience WOC at least once. I suppose, but I wouldn't pick spring break season to do it. It's going to be a zoo.

We enjoyed our meal at Ariel's, but I don't think the preferred standing area is worth it. I think the Blue section is actually better. We thought the picnics were tasty and worth the money.

These are just my opinions, YMMV. I have to admit that WOC is my least favorite nighttime attraction at either WDW or DL. I think it is pretty, but too long. It just does have the emotional impact like Illuminations or Wishes.

I think the key to a successful WOC is making it the focus of your day. Get plenty of rest and take advantage of the meal packages. Bring treats and toys to occupy your kids. There is a lot of standing and waiting. I brought a small throw so my youngest could sit and play with glowsticks until the show. She couldn't see anything so my husband picked her up (not on his shoulders). The amount of displeasure from other guest was surprising. Just be aware that it is very hard for young ones to see. If you are close enough to not having anyone in front of you, you miss out on the scope of WOC. If you get to a rail on one of the tiers you take the risk that someone will put someone on their shoulders...even adults!

Thanks for your insight on WOC. I think that we will probably see it next time around. We'll for sure see the Fireworks once. Do you recommend any other shows that would be easier/better for younger kids as far as viewing? Thanks!

LOL - I'll hear the WE planned bit too. That is hilarious. :rotfl: I have the parks figured out by day set around MM too. What other shows do you and your family do?

My last trip I took my little one to see Illuminations at Epcot/WDW. He was 6 at the time and although he thought it was cool it was really no big deal. I had read all the raves about that show and that was the nighttime show we picked. I wish we had seen Fantasmic! instead, but at that point people were saying it may be scary for a young child. We were there at Easter and though it was crowded we didn't have a problem viewing the show. DLR is just smaller and not as many shows, no Luau or dinner shows. I wanted to do Fantasmic! this time but I know everyone will be miserable standing around for 2 hours waiting for a show to start and I can't pay the premium dessert price for reserved seating. So we're going to have to wait til we go back to WDW. I was thinking about doing the Pirate dinner show (off property) or Medieval Times but we don't have time for them.

Thanks for your insight on WOC. I think that we will probably see it next time around. We'll for sure see the Fireworks once. Do you recommend any other shows that would be easier/better for younger kids as far as viewing? Thanks!

us too, we will definitely see the fireworks. we're only going to do WOC if I decide to order the picnic. but the breadbowls at Pacific Wharf are sounding like a better meal LOL

us too, we will definitely see the fireworks. we're only going to do WOC if I decide to order the picnic. but the breadbowls at Pacific Wharf are sounding like a better meal LOL

This may be a silly question but where is Pacific Wharf located? I love breadbowls. :)

I thought about doing the picnics but with the early mornings I'm planning I don't think it will work.

the Pacific Wharf Cafe is in the DCA park. They have soups and salads that are served in breadbowls and I KNOW my boys will love that, we are bread-lovers!

We'll be there Apr 26-30. We are staying at the Best Western Park Place. My neice and her family mentioned they were going for spring break, she invited me along. I never say no to a trip to Disneyland.

I like F! at WDW for the simply reason that you can sit. Yes, it's just a concrete bench, but my family is a lot happier sitting 45 minutes before a show than standing. Plus it's more of a concert feeling there. There are concessions and the crowd usually sings and does the wave together.

I've tried F! twice at DL. Both times my family grew impatient and didn't want to hold out place for so long. That is why my husband and I are splurging and doing the dessert package.

I think the firework shows are the best nighttime entertainment. We always stop on MS for treats and usually find a good spot in the hub.

The parades are the best choice for little ones, but unfortunately there are none planned for April. I would take them to see the Pixar Pals. We were lucky to be eating in front of Award Weiners when it passed by. It's just a shorter version of the parade.

I am amazed they are not offering any parades at DL during spring break time. This is going to make the nighttime shows even crazier. I love the Electric Light Parade and Spectro. The new parade sounds like the interactive parades at Hollywood Studios and MK. These are terrific for little ones, but my older kids got bored fast. These parades are more like moving shows. The CMs pull kids from the parade route and dance or hula hoop, etc.

While I enjoy nighttime at the park, I must prefer to take advantage of short lines for attractions during shows. Fantasyland opens shortly after the fireworks and I always find it empty. And nothing beats a late night ride on Pirates or HM. I always buy lots of light up toys and glowsticks. My kids love nothing better than a midnight run on BTMR!

Halloweenqueen how do your older kids feel about Character Meals? Do they enjoy them still?

I've tried F! twice at DL. Both times my family grew impatient and didn't want to hold out place for so long. That is why my husband and I are splurging and doing the dessert package.

Do you think the F! with dessert package would be a good option with younger kids instead of WOC? When we are there F! runs at 9 with Fireworks at 9:30 so I was thinking of doing F! dessert package and then Firworks.

Do you think the F! with dessert package would be a good option with younger kids instead of WOC? When we are there F! runs at 9 with Fireworks at 9:30 so I was thinking of doing F! dessert package and then Firworks.

If I could swing this, I would for sure! It's not in the budget for our family of 5this time (I hear is $60 a person?) But if you can do it I think it would be much better for kids than having to stand around and wait for so long.

Halloweenqueen how do your older kids feel about Character Meals? Do they enjoy them still?

My girls love them...my boys, not so much. I went with my older two girls in January and they requested Minnies. We had a great experience!

My eldest four are within 18 months of each other. (we adopted three, our eldest is homegrown). I think because we have our "little surprise" daughter they still feel comfortable at character meals. Same way with movies, etc. They feel it's okay to still like it because of their baby sister. Though I know they all still enjoy it. ;)

If I could swing this, I would for sure! It's not in the budget for our family of 5this time (I hear is $60 a person?) But if you can do it I think it would be much better for kids than having to stand around and wait for so long.

There are kid prices, but no discount for AP. I would consider F! dessert seating if I had little ones. And I like the idea of going to the first seating and enjoying the fireworks afterward.

I would make sure I was in line early for seat assignments to make sure I got first row for my kids. One parent can wait and the other ride the attractions in the area.

My girls love them...my boys, not so much. I went with my older two girls in January and they requested Minnies. We had a great experience!

My eldest four are within 18 months of each other. (we adopted three, our eldest is homegrown). I think because we have our "little surprise" daughter they still feel comfortable at character meals. Same way with movies, etc. They feel it's okay to still like it because of their baby sister. Though I know they all still enjoy it. ;)

See that's what I'm wondering. I know my 9 yr old would like the Character Meal. I'm not sure if he would admit it and actually have fun with it in front of his older stepbrothers (12 and 14 yrs) if they weren't into it. I figured if we did one we'd do Goofy's or Surfs Up so that it's buffet and it's not "girly." But I think if we asked the older kids to play along for the little one's benefit they would do it. At least I'm pretty sure my 12 yr old would. The only time we have to squeeze it in is on Sunday the 17th when we arrive in Anaheim after driving from San Diego. I guess I better make up my mind soon because I need to call for reservations (and hope they don't fill up as fast as WDW, do they?)

My family and I are staying at the HOJO after our 10 night wonder cruise April 27th till may 1st :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter