April 18-23 2017.. bad idea?

Luisfba

Mouseketeer
We've been planning on a trip during our spring break 2017 (Massachusetts). Did one last year and it was wonderful given our spring breaks are so late. However, recently realized Easter falls late next year and thus falls on the first weekend of the break (Easter is April 16, we were planning on traveling April 18, do the parks April 19-22, and travel back April 23).

I understand Easter crowds are typically insane both the week prior and after Easter. However.. does that still hold true when Easter is so late? (Are we insane to go that time next year?)

You are not insane to go - that's when your break is. However PP is correct - Easter is Easter and it doesn't matter when Easter is it will be crowded - especially MK.

I know in NH there's a February ("winter") break as well as an April ("spring") break. If you also have a "winter" break you may want to seriously consider this. We've tried both at one time or another, and the "winter" break was a lot less crowded (but cooler).

We went in April 2011 during Massachusetts school break. Easter was the Sunday at the end of that week and we were there from Thursday night before school vacation started to the Wednesday before Easter (due to flight costs). It was very crowded and kept getting more and more crowded as we got closer to Easter. It was manageable but not ideal.

We do have a winter break, but the problem is for us the winter break is Presidents Day week (almost as bad from a crowd standpoint?).

We had the same debate in our house as a MA family as well. We ultimately decided to change to the February vacation. I figured in addition to the high Easter crowds, flight costs would also be outrageous.

I dunno... the weather forecast has rain that week... ;)

It'll be crowded but not as crowded as NYE. You're planning early enough that you can make your ADRs 6 months in advance and get your FP+'s early too. From there it's just a matter of going with the flow!

We do have a winter break, but the problem is for us the winter break is Presidents Day week (almost as bad from a crowd standpoint?).
We haven't gone around Easter at all but we did go over President's weekend in 2014 (we're in NY not MA, just an FYI). We were actually there for 9 days before Presidents Day; felt crowds by the day before and actually didn't feel bad the day after. However both those days we "felt" crowds were still very, very doable and enjoyable.

We are considering going for our 2017 Spring Break which, for a decent part of NY minus the city and possibly out west, does revolve around Easter - we're always the week before regardless of when Easter falls. I know a few other states are like that as well. Add to that the states such as NH that always have an April break regardless of when Easter falls, and I believe the weeks before/after Easter 2017 will be busier than when Easter falls in March. If the way I explained that makes any sense lol.

Bottom line what I'm trying to say is I feel you'll most likely have lower crowds over your Feb. break, as long as Presidents Day doesn't coincide with Mardi Gras next year! Too much to think about when planning dates, right???

With Easter being in April does that mean March spring break crowds are not as bad? The later Easter date also has me second guessing my dates. My dates are flexible, I'm just wanting warm weather. I've decided on April 28th-May 6th.

I wouldn't do it. Disney is very different when its crowded. You can of course still have a great time but it will not be even remotely relaxing and your planning will likely need to be spot-on. Personally we find crowds to be so annoying we would not go ( and we also love April weather.) Plus, yes, the flights will be expensive.

We were there in the week after Easter in 2015 and it was very busy but still very enjoyable, however it was our first trip and we had nothing to compare it to.
If you've only been when its quiter you might find it stressfu/disappointing.

I am going again Spring break next year, though 2 weeks before Easter, I figure if we coped last year it can only be same or better

What about 2 weeks before Easter (the first week of April), will it be as bad as the week before and after Easter? We went the first week of June last year and it was crowded, but it didn't bother us since we planned well. The heat/humidity was a killer though. We're hoping April temps/humidity is better. Plus I really want to see flower/garden at Epcot!

The crowds during presidents week are much lower. We've done this many times and usually arrive on Presidents' Day and depart the following monday, only missing one school day. It is only crowded for the holiday weekend and then it's a wonderful time to visit crowd wise. Weather can be iffy....it's been in the 80's but one year we were freezing!

Thanks for the input.

Yes, we are used to low-ish crowds (I'm guessing 5's or so). So on one hand I'm certainly afraid of the different feel we would get with the heavier crowds. That said, we have been there 3 times now, and have certainly gotten a good feel for how to tour and best use of FP+. But.. Still concerned.

How far into the week after Easter would you expect the crowds to stay heavy? (For Presidents' Day week I would assume is the whole week?)

How far into the week after Easter would you expect the crowds to stay heavy? (For Presidents' Day week I would assume is the whole week?)
For the week after Easter, the whole week. If people have that week off they'll stay the whole week.
For Presidents Day I don't think the crowds will stay high for the whole week, as not so many schools have that whole week off anymore. Around here for instance we only have Pres. Day off, and many surrounding districts are the same. You can check easywdw's crowd calendar from this past Feb. to get a feel, although I do think Mardi Gras overlapped this year so that will have had some effect on his crowd levels.

Looks like Mardi Gras was February 9 this year, with President's Day being February 15. (next year President's Day is Feb 20, and MG is Feb 28). Josh's calendar had (starting Monday/President's Day) crowds of 9, then the rest of the week is 7's. For Easter this year he had 10's pretty much across the whole week (rolling to a 9).

I chatted with my wife and she seems open to go President's week. I don't mind the risk of cold weather.. it will certainly be better than New England weather. The thing that has me spooked for President's week is that ************** has that week at a 10, and TP also has straight up 10's. (they also had those as projections for 2016.. not sure what it was really like though).

Regarding flights - Flights are in fact expensive on the school vacation weeks we've taken in April.. do they jack them up even more if it's Easter time? How about President's day week flights.. are those often as high as a school vacation/spring break week or should they be more reasonable?

We went in 2014 & 2015 over Easter and the following week. School calendars & testing windows dictate when we can go. Yes, it's crowded, but still enjoyable. If you use your fastpasses wisely and manage your expectations, you can have a wonderful time! We always do! Keep in mind, it's already pretty hot in late March/April.

For what it's worth, NYC spring break is the week leading up to Easter, so count out those people for the week after...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter