Appropriate Gratuity for a Massage?

starry_solo

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what the appropriate gratuity is for a massage wherein the massage therapist comes to your home with their own equipment (massage table, sheets, lotions, etc.)

The therapist charges $65 for a 60-minute massage and $95 for a 90-minute massage. I know this is what one expects to pay to a company and the therapist only gets a portion through the company, but am trying to figure out the appropriate gratuity.

Thank you!

I work as a massage therapist and my company charges very similar prices. I typically recieve $20 tip for a one hour and $26 tip for a 90 minute. I am based in a studio, so no need to lug my table and set it up at every house. I would probably add $5-10 to the prices I listed for ths reason (provided I liked the therapist).

Hope this helps

Most spa places would probably add on 18-20% to the price. That is what I would do too.

I tipped my massage therapist the first time I went to her and she told me that was very nice, but totally unnecessary, so I haven't tipped her again.

I have done massage from home as a massage therapist. While a tip is appreciated, it isn't necessary. At a spa, yes, absolutely (18-25% was what I typically received or $15-25 an hour, $25-40 hour and a half).

Even so, my clients were incredibly generous and typically gave me an additional 15-20% on top of my prices I charged at home.

We usually go with 15% of the normal retail price regardless of our final cost if there's a discount. Some do 18-20%, I've always seen 15% for those types of services.

I'd tip the same 20%-ish that I'd tip anywhere else for this service. I'd likely give $15 for the 50 minute massage and $20 for the 90 minute.

I realize that at a spa, the massage therapist might get $15-20 of the cost charged by the spa, whereas at home, they get the entire amount. I did hear that the franchises (Massage Envy and Massage Green) only pay their massage therapists minimum wage so tips there would be very important.

Thanks for the help!

I realize that at a spa, the massage therapist might get $15-20 of the cost charged by the spa, whereas at home, they get the entire amount. I did hear that the franchises (Massage Envy and Massage Green) only pay their massage therapists minimum wage so tips there would be very important.

Thanks for the help!

The franchise/chain massage therapists make more than minimum wage but considerably less than a therapist at a spa. They make anywhere from $14-$18 an hour where a spa therapist will make $20-$30 an hour.

And yes, tipping those that work at the franchises/chains is incredibly important. Those therapists are overworked. They work until they can no longer work any longer. Please, if anyone ever goes to a place like this, tip on the FULL price (aka $80-$100 amount). Tipping 15-20% on your discounted service of $40-$60 is not enough.

The franchise/chain massage therapists make more than minimum wage but considerably less than a therapist at a spa. They make anywhere from $14-$18 an hour where a spa therapist will make $20-$30 an hour.

And yes, tipping those that work at the franchises/chains is incredibly important. Those therapists are overworked. They work until they can no longer work any longer. Please, if anyone ever goes to a place like this, tip on the FULL price (aka $80-$100 amount). Tipping 15-20% on your discounted service of $40-$60 is not enough.

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a difference in hourly rates. When I was a member/client of one of the chains a few years ago, I spoke with the massage therapists who told me they only made minimum wage. I was so surprised to hear that because I was like, at that rate, why would anyone be a massage therapist?!

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a difference in hourly rates. When I was a member/client of one of the chains a few years ago, I spoke with the massage therapists who told me they only made minimum wage. I was so surprised to hear that because I was like, at that rate, why would anyone be a massage therapist?!

Part of the reason is because we depend on tips. I don't try to tell anyone how to tip but rather educate clients on how to. Many people don't know how and I appreciate when they ask (like you).

The reason why there's a difference in pay will depend on the facility/spa. I was paid $31 an hour at the last spa I worked at not because I had seniority (which I also had) but because I was the most requested therapist at the spa among other reasons (an overall dedicated employee). $31 is very high, however. For a massage therapist just starting out, $14 an hour is not unheard of. And to point out it's not $14 an hour but rather per hour a service is performed.

I know you didn't ask but a hair salon can be similar. My niece is a hair stylist and she is paid minimum wage for her time she is at the salon. However she receives a percentage of her productivity. They are moved up through various levels based on their productivity, so when she started out her services were inexpensive so she made very little from what her clients were charged. Now that she has been there for 8 years, she has moved up several levels her clients are charged more for her services therefore she makes more money. Another thing, she works in a department store at a higher end salon. Employees in the company are sometimes given discounts for various reasons. The discount comes out of the stylist's cut. They still have to give the salon the regular amount for that service.

I know you didn't ask but a hair salon can be similar. My niece is a hair stylist and she is paid minimum wage for her time she is at the salon. However she receives a percentage of her productivity. They are moved up through various levels based on their productivity, so when she started out her services were inexpensive so she made very little from what her clients were charged. Now that she has been there for 8 years, she has moved up several levels her clients are charged more for her services therefore she makes more money. Another thing, she works in a department store at a higher end salon. Employees in the company are sometimes given discounts for various reasons. The discount comes out of the stylist's cut. They still have to give the salon the regular amount for that service.

WOW, that is not fair.

Massage tip depends on how happy the ending is! :love1:

That is inappropriate and part of the reason why this country has a difficult time including massage therapy as a form of both preventative and rehabilitative medicine covered by insurance.

I'm no doctor, nor do I have nearly the same amount of education as one, but I take my profession seriously. I realize you probably said that as a joke but it's incredibly demeaning to people like myself making an honest living in a profession that can quite literally save people's lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter