• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appropriate Censorship at High School Level

As a parent, no, I would not be okay with my child being shown graphic images such as that. True, you'd see images just as bad in a rated R horror movie, but that's why you need to be 18 and older to watch them. I hope my children don't want to watch that kind of stuff when they are older anyways.

It doesn't sound to me like any of those images had anything to do with driving, especially the burning people.

You can see gruesome images on regular television shows (Bones, CSI, Criminal Minds, etc) well as PG-13 movies.

In High school we saw many gruesome images from car accidents and from STDs. Think about this, the burn victim could have been burnt by an arsonist that could have been a teen or could have been a victim of a drunk driver. In Kentucky in 1988, a tragic bus crash left many victims dead or burnt. These victims were children who have had to live with their scars through these years. Unfortunately burns and other graphic/gruesome events happen in life.

If a Junior cannot handle those graphic pictures than what are they going to do if they are ever confronted with those injuries in real life??

They're still minors and at least the school should have notified the parents. Not all families share the same religious or moral beliefs.
It amazes me how our culture gets up in arms about sex education in high school (including the acceptance of gay lifestyles or giving out condoms so that these kids who are having sex can protect themselves). But to show them graphic and intense videos of death is acceptable.:confused3

Not necessarily are they minors. Juniors can be 18 year olds and even 19 year olds. Remember there are kids that have been kept from starting school on time or have been held back.

I would agree with you if it was a college course, but the OP clarified it wasn't a sports medicine class but a mandatory health class. In my school (and DD's middle school) health class is the same as P.E. The OP also said that the majority of the kids were not interested in becoming doctors.

In my daughter's middle school and high school, Health class is not the same as PE. One half of the semester in Middle school is spent on health and the other is on Phys Ed. In High school the kids are made to take 1 trimester of Phys Ed and 1 Trimester of Health. They are 2 different classes here. My 14 year old is in Health right now and completed Phys Ed last Trimester. She does come home and discuss the sex ed part but would not have an issue with the pictures the OP is discussing and she is actually my sensitive kid.

I still don't "handle" graphic images well, and don't feel the least bit ill prepared because of it. If I witnessed a horrible accident that caused great bodily harm I'd call 911. A gory movie isn't going to make me any more prepared to handle the situation. My daughter is a freshman, interested in medicine as a career. Images of injuries don't bother her much, but I hope that a video of a nightclub full of burning victims always disturbs her. I don't understand the purpose of that choice and I might have, if it were my kids school, asked for clarification.

I don't see a problem with this. You're a junior, which makes you 16 or 17. I mean, I don't see that as a big deal.

I do not see a problem. This has been going on in high schools for years. I saw the same thing in high school and I graduated in the early 70s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter