Appropriate books for 13 y/o boys?

A series I liked was always the Piers Anthony "Zanth" books. They are light reading, full of puns, and there are tons in the series. Of course I am a 26 yo girl, but maybe just take a look at them. They are fantasy with centaurs and ogres etc. Absolutely appropriate for younger readers. Very fun.

THE LEFT BEHIND SERIES!!!!!!! Absolutely great books that keep you on the edge of your seat, and if your son is the reader you say he is he'll finish one of these books in a few days. My SIL started reading the series when she was 12 so it is age appropriate. You could even read along with him. They are up to book 11 or 12 in the series I think and the authors are Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye. You'll have no problem finding them at a bookstore or online, they are always on the best-seller list. Happy Reading.

Here are a few that my ds-13 enjoyed.

The world of wizards by Anton and Mina Adams. It is about ancient traditions. My ds likes Harry Potter as well. This was one of those that he didn't put down until he was done!

He also likes author Roald Dahl. (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) "Boy" was one that he really enjoyed. It was quite popular with the boys in his class as well.

My ds is an excellent reader (sorry to brag!) but he doesn't latch onto books very easily. If he likes a book, he reads it very quickly. He'd also rather read books on how things are made or work. Of course, he would never read a book that I suggested!

Has he read 100,000 leagues under the sea?

I teach High school English and have also taught middle school for (yikes) almost 13 years. Here are my suggestions for "guy" books

Gary Paulsen (easier reading level) writes books about adventures- "Hatchet" and the sequel "Brian's Winter" etc. are good ones to start with.

Christopher Paul Curtis wrote a hilarious and touching novel called "The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963"
more mature readers:

ANYTHING by Chris Crutcher- athlete books, guy books

To Kill A Mockingbird is a great one
The Giver by Lois Lowry

Parrot in the Oven
The Eight
Great Expectations- Dickens (Pip still speaks to kids)
Monster by Walter Dean Myers

I agree with lots of the ones posted. Good Luck

I agree - the Redwall series is great. (There are 16 books currently - start with the book "Redwall.")

Patrick

Oh, how I remember going through this with my DSs which are now 15 and 14. Their reading level allowed them to move out of the children's section and into the adult section. I was always asking for help in the book store. I didn't mind the language so much but I was very concerned about the sexual content.

DS 14 loved the Redwall series and the Star Craft series. He just finished Dreamcatcher by Steven King and moved onto Needful Things. I was a little concerned about this author, but we talked about what he might come across in his novels before he started them.

There are so many classics out there. I wish my DSs would pick up a few of them instead!

Karen

"Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam. It's a true story about overcoming obstacles in life. The movie "October Sky" was based on this book. If you go to Homers web site you can find the directions to order an autographed copy. He also has the sequel out now as well.

"Of Mice and Men" or "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. Classic American literature. Both are fairly quick reads.

And of course, the perfect "cruise" read, Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island". :)

Have a great crusie!

Anne

I agree with everything suggested PLUS would like to add the Philip Pullman series that starts with The Golden Compass (the Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass round out the trilogy). I didn't realize I was reading "young adult" fiction until about half way through. These are marvelous, sensitive, adventurous, captivating books. Can you tell I liked them?

This is a great thread! I would like to find a new author/series for my ds to get into.

I LOVE YOU DIS'ERS!:p I love all of the new suggestions (we already went through the old ones last summer). I'm sure we will find plenty to keep DS in supply with the list of books I will have in tow on our next visit to the book store, thanks to this board.

I love the suggestions of the classics, in particular Treasure Island. I remember reading that book as a child and loving it myself. Can't believe I never thought of it.:confused:

Keep the suggestions coming. If this keeps up we'll have him reading until summer.

For those that are also looking for books for their kids, some recent books he enjoyed are Eragon: Inheritance Book 1 by Christopher Paolini. He also really likes the "Uncle John Bathroom Readers" series...not just for the bathroom and one written just for kids. They have some very interesting trivia. There are also 3 different trilogies by Gordan Korman....Island, Everest and Dive. They are pretty easy reading but he still enjoyed them. Other than these that are geared towards kids, he just finished reading Prey and Timeline. He is quite the Michael Crichton fan....

if he likes Smallville or Buffy/Angel there's also books that go with the shows(also found books for Alias)

A book from my childhood that my son just finished is "Crusade in Jeans' by Thea Beckman. My son, who has a high reading level but doesn't really like to pick up a book, loved it. Also, look for the author Avi - I'm not sure of the reading level though.

Hmm, what else? Has he read Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe series? Three Muskeeteers? I remember chugging my way through that one. It'll take him awhile.

Oh, my son just started the John Christopher Tripod trilogy. How about some biographies?

Heinlein's Juvenalia (but be careful, his adult books can be pretty racey). - Science Fiction. Here is an amazon list for his Young Adult stuff http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...RWU8PSONT/ref=cm_lm_lists/102-7667331-7868123

David Eddings Belgariad - two easy to read trilogies.

Llyod Alexander's Cronicles of Prydain

Both Sword and Socerery. Fundementally easy to read Tolkein rip offs.

Ken Follet's WWII spy novel material - Key to Rebecca, Eye of the Needle (don't remember these as having any sex, if so, its no worse than a John Grisham novel)

Orson Scott Card has written a lot in addition to Ender's Game. He'd probably enjoy the Alvin Maker series.

Other classics a boy might enjoy - I liked Oliver Twist. Or Robinson Carusoe. HG Wells. Oh....Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler. Dectective novels ala Humphrey Bogart movies.

Robin Cook writes adult novels, but Crighton always reminds me of Cook. That sciency thing. Don't remember how racey they are though - you might want to pre-read.

OMG.....bathroom readers! We have a ton of them in the bathroom! DS 14 is always telling me usless information that he has discovered in them!

Karen

My DD is 13 as well & reads a great deal. Here are some she has read in the last couple of years ~

There is a wonderful fantasy book called "Eragon" of the Harry Potter genre, as good, if not better... - about a dragon & a young man. Written by a 16 yr. old boy. About 700- 800 pages, well worth it...

A Separate Peace By John Knowles - the best...

The Time Series By Madeleine L'Engle - awesome...
Wrinkle In Time, A Wind at the Door, etc..

Skipping Christmas- John Grisham

A series of misfortunate events -Lemony Snicket- short easy reads- humorous -up to #13 now.

A long way to Chicago & the sequel- A Long Way Home. short, fun reads- touching- gotta love the treacherous grandma...

The Hobbit & The Tolkien Trilogy- He can see first hand why the movies were so good. The books were better...

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

The best mystery book of all time- Day of The Jackal! no sex

Eye of the Needle is a close second- love that book

How about Moby Dick?

Haven't read it yet, but I hear awesome things about the DaVinci Code. Saving it for my cruise coming up!

~ Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter