Appropriate amount of money for 7 year old...

We are also in the $100 per child camp. We have a DS (9) and DD (6) and they have been saving their allowance, doing chores and getting Disney gift cards for their b-days and in their Easter baskets, etc. We go for 10 days and on both previous trips that amount has worked out great. We also get them a shirt and when Grandma goes along she usually gets them a stuffed animal as well. They each have their own wallet that I keep for them and they make all the purchses themselves. It is a great learning experience. The only thing we ever vetoed was one of those light up twirly buzz lightyears for $12 outside the HHMR. DS wanted it more because it was there and he was tired and we knew it was a bad idea. He got over it and was happy to have the money for something else later :)

We usually give each of girls about $50. Not only do they get what they want, but they have some left over for the nextr trip. We have 6 yo triplets.

We just got back this weekend and my kids DS10 and DD7 both went down with $100 each to spend (savings from chores, b'days & their $1/each a week they get in the mail from their great grandmother) and DS got another $50 from grandparents for his b'day while we were there. DD came back with almost $20 left and DS about $40. We also didn't let them buy on the 1st or 2nd day b/c there is too much to see and try to figure out what they wanted. We were also in the same boat as a pp about the snacks -- if they wanted something other than their 1 snack from the ddp, then they could buy it.

My daughter, now 7, takes $100 of her own money. I let her decide the amount, within reason. We go for a week. I carry it in her coin purse separate from my money. This way if I loose it I have to cough up the lost amount. If she looses it, she will learn a very sad life lesson. She is very particular on what she spends with her own money and keeps track of how much she has left. The first year we went she went bonkers spending my money and anyone else who would buy her something.

my girls (6 & 3) will each have $100
we are there for 7 days...$50 for the first half of week, $50 for second half

my 6 year old will spend every penny of the first $50, be cautious with the second $50 and will insist on spending her "change" on crap at the airport on the way home!

3 yr old has no concept of money. she is as happy with a $1 item as with something expensive. it will be more a matter of wanting to buy something every time big sister does.

i will probably buy them one or two things...most likely clothing or extra snacks as they won't want to spend "their" money on that kind of stuff

MIL and FIL will be with us for part of trip.
they want to buy ears for the girls...and my MIL is a bit of a shopaholic (and can NOT say no to girls) so i am going to have to keep an eye on that!

We always take gift cards for souvie money as well. Even my husband and I have our own souvenir gift cards. :thumbsup2 I think $50 is a good starting point. This is what my husband and I "give" our kids. If the kids have additional birthday or chore money they want to spend as well, we will order gift cards for whatever amount they want to add to the $50. They know going that when the gift card money is gone, no more souvenirs. If they choose to blow it all on day one, so be it. It has worked out well, and our kids have become very thoughtful of how they want that money spent. Our kids are: 13, 10 and 6.

We bought each kid a $50 Disney gift card to spend how they want. We purchase autograph books for them and one other thing. For DS9 it was the r2d2bucket and for DD7 a pick a pearl.

She had to use her money for the setting. Dd spent all of hers. She has one of those charm necklaces (purchased with her money last trip) , so she got 4 charms, her charm for her pick a pearl and a shirt.

DS got a yeti necklace and sorcerers card booster pack. We actually owe him $25.

They are good about not spending it all at once and not the first day. They know once it is gone..... It's gone!

The grandson saved his own money and took $200. He had to go to the bank and take it out of his savings account then buy a Disney gift card. Anything he wanted to buy he had to use his gift card. It was a good lesson for him and he worked hard just to earn the money. We were there12 days and he spent every cent!

As of now my DS3; and DD6 each have a $50.00 gift card! I have a 100 and DH has 200

I plan on doing BBB and the pirate league for them as well as a shirt or hat which ever they choose anything else they must use their gift cards! The first time we went I was a sucker I thought it was a trip in a life time so I didn't say no!

But I planned and booked a trip in Nov. and a cruise in 2013 so I know we won't be spending a lot on toys and etc, we also have the deluxe dinning plan so we should be fine on snacks and food.

We got so tired of our kids (5 & 7) begging and pleading for stuff on our last trip that 2 days in we decided to give them a per diem.

We put $20 on a gift card in the morning and told the kids they could purchase whatever they wanted with it, but once it was gone not to ask for anything else. If they wanted something that cost more than $20 they had to save up for it. We added $20 each morning of the remainder of our trip.

This plan worked beautifully! Not only did they stop asking for every little thing they thought they just couldn't live without when mom & dad held the purse strings, they really put a lot of thought into what they wanted.

DS decided he really likes Stitch. He bought a small plush for about $13. Then he saved for several days until he could afford the $50 one.

DD found 3 things she just couldn't live without. We did end up advancing her a few days worth because we got a discount with our credit card. But she, too, didn't mind because she got the things she really wanted.

It's funny when it's someone else's money they just can't live without "that" item. But when it's their money it's not so enticing.

By the time our vacation was over both kids had nearly $30 left that they didn't spend. We're putting that on their cards at the start of our next vaction, whenever that may be.

We're there for 6 days and we've told the kids (5 and 2.5) that they get to pick 1 treat per day- it could be a toy, light up thing, balloon, etc. We have said that some things may be too expensive so they can combine days. It worked well with DD when she was 3. It should go well with her this time...but I'm not sure about DS. He has the serious gimmies. DD has been saving her money and is up to about $40 so that will go into it. I'm figuring we'll spend about $200 between the 2 of them. That sounds high, but we also have gift cards and Disney reward points to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter