Applying for the DCP

disn3yw0rld

Earning My Ears
I am planning on applying for the DCP in September. I was talking to a couple people and they said it is good to already have a job before you get accepted. I am a full time nanny and I wans't sure if that would count as a job as when applying for the DCP. Also, do you need reference letters...or can you even include them?

I am planning on applying for the DCP in September. I was talking to a couple people and they said it is good to already have a job before you get accepted. I am a full time nanny and I wans't sure if that would count as a job as when applying for the DCP. Also, do you need reference letters...or can you even include them?

When Disney goes through the application for the DCP, their ideal candidate is at least halfway through their degree with some work experience. Having any type of work experience helps demonstrate work ethic and commitment.

There are those out there who wouldn't consider being a Nanny a job. However, I am not one of those people. In fact, someone with experience in working with kids would be ideal in a role like Childrens Activities. These Cast Members are on the pool decks at the resort in the afternoons playing games with the kids, they also can work in the arcades.

When you get to the phone interview, its not the job you had per se, but its the skills you acquired and how you can transfer them to other situations.

being a full time nanny would be considered a job and may give you an edge in recreation, more specifically children's activites. i was offered that role after being camp staff. many people who are accepted are in sports related majors.

Personally, Id call it a "real job" but more importantly gives you tons of "soft skills" (aka skills that are transferable to any company and that companies prefer/want). After all this is Disney, how can knowing how to deal with children not be a perfect fit? Even outside of the activities, knowing how to talk and deal with frustrated/tired kids makes you perfect for just about any role (merchandise to attractions). Any other knowledge you get at training anyways :)

It may not be posted anywhere, but lets look at it from a common sense perspective...

Those at least halfway through their degree's are starting to take specific courses for their major, are around 20-21, and are starting to mature as adults. Those fresh out of High School and only a sememster or two in haven't quite made the adjustment and transition into adulthood (countless human development research articles published that can be accessed at your local library), part of the reason why the CareerStart Program was discontinued, too many issues. If you want a source on that, read through the threads on here about "Funny Term Stories." Underage drinking is rampant throughout the program and is a major cause for terminations (Mentioned at Housing Orientation).

In an economy like we're in now, the job market is competitive, part of the reason I chose the DCP as my first step. With the some 30,000 people applying for this program each year, they are going to take the best possible people they can. Who would you rather hire as an intern? Someone who is still getting their feet wet in the college scene with no work experience, or someone who is halfway through their degree and has some work experience? Straight forward enough. At the end of the day, Disney has a business to run, they want the best they can get. Not only do you gain valuable work experience, you have resources not available to other Seasonal, Part, or Full time Cast Members to help advance you after your program is over.

As others have said, yes, being a nanny counts as a job. No, you don't need reference letters.

When I applied to the college program, I'd only had 2 previous jobs, both during the summer, and one of them was babysitting. I got in just fine. There are many qualities that you use nannying that apply to working at Disney, the main one being that by nannying you know how to handle kids! I'm pretty sure in my interview they asked me how my previous jobs prepared me for the DCP, so be ready to answer a question like that! As others have said, it's more about the skills you learn from the job than the actual job itself.

My son has pretty much had 0 jobs, other than a path performer at Texas Renaissance Festival, and is a freshman...he checks in for DCP on August 12. So I think there are a lot of things combined that they look at. But then, I also think he may have nailed his 12 minute phone interview.

I'm not sure if I was a special case or something but I had never had a "real job" before I did the DCP. I was two semesters into college and had done some work with dining services at my school but it was ~2 weeks at most. I also didn't include any kind of reference letters. Maybe I was just lucky but I don't think having a ton of work experience is super important.

I'm doing the DCP this Fall (Starting August 12th) and I've never had a job. I'm sure it helps, but I was able to get in with nothing but volunteer experience.

I did have to apply twice, though. Didn't get in the first time.

I've also made it in (Fall 2013) on only volunteer experience, along with one of my potential roommates for the program. I mean, as far as work experience goes, we've technically had zilch. I think whether or not it's a "real" job doesn't matter as much as the experience you've gained from it, and the skills and knowledge you have under your belt.

Don't forget about your involvement in clubs or organizations! I put down my position in student government and working at the campus newspaper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter