Applebee's Car Side to Go - Tip or Not?

If you're in the restaurant, the waitress does quite a bit for you: takes your order, refills your drink, asks about dessert, takes your check to the counter, and clears your table afterward. When the tables are slow, she rolls up new napkin/silverware bundles, refills the catsup, and does numerous other little things.

The drive-through person does essentially none of that. He or she just passes on the package that was put together by the kitchen staff.

We tip people for their service -- not because they're low-paid. If we tipped based upon salary, social services workers would be tipped more highly than waitresses. If you're tipping because people are in low-paying positions, aren't you just tipping out of pity?

no I'm not tipping out of pity. They may not do SOME of the stuff that other waitstaff does but they do, do alot. They take your payment. If i pay by credit card, they go in, run it, come out have me sign it and take it back in. They bring you the food so you don't have to get your behind out the car. that is a service to you. that deserves a tip.

I have only used Applebee's Car Side ToGo once, my order wasn't ready when I got there and the "waitress" wasn't exactly nice so she got nothing. I probably would have given her a couple of bucks, but not the typical 15-20% for average service when I an actually waited on. Knowing that they make more than the regular waitstaff, I am slightly less inclined now to tip at all.

That's too bad your daughter is treated so poorly by the restaurant. I sincerely hope she get promoted soon. It seems like a scam on the part of the restaurant chains. (a way to pay employees less) I think it's aweful that you have to get your takeout this way from these restaurants now (because the servers are paid based on getting tips) . I mean, having been a waitress myself, I never got tipped for putting together take-out orders. Usually people who worked primarily in the takeout/counter area got paid more on their base rate, or all the servers had to pool their tips. Your daughter must insist on making at least min. wage.

- I don't generally tip for normal take-out service unless the server does something really special. I nearly always tip table service at least 20% -and I don't leave the table a huge mess either. I was always amazed at the mess some people would leave behind. Sorry to say but there is a big difference between waiting on a table and putting together a take-out order. Personally though, my solution is that I don't do takeout from these restaurants anymore.

You're misinformed. "The federal Department of Labor minimum wage is $5.15 an hour, but in those states that set rates that differ from federal law, the higher rate applies. Rates for other states that have a minimum wage are available at www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm."

we usually tip 2-3 $$ if its raining it is a def 5 our applebees is very good several times we have ordered kids meals and our waitress has brought out lollypops or balloons :cool1: if youo dont want the hassle of getting out of your car maybe you should think of the $ or 2 as a convience charge :sunny:

I think it's very interesting that about 1000 people have viewed this thread and less than 50 have responded. Maybe it's telling. Maybe a lot of people don't tip and just don't want to be judged as being unfair or unreasonable.
Maybe not. Who knows?

To each their own. I think it's a world of difference in the service you get in a sit down restaurant and curbside as other posters have mentioned.

A poll on this topic would be interesting.

I do not tip at McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, or any place where I do not receive sit down service. My personal feeling, & I know this will irrate many, is don't take the job if the salary isn't want you want to earn. While regular waitstaff, hairstylists, bellhops, doorman & manicurists (I am sure I have forgotten someone) work in tipping industries, if you do not like the hourly salary don't take the job. I worked for several years as a waitress, & earned tips. My next job was a teller, I would never have thought of getting a tip doing this, eventhough it is a service oriented position. If you earn above waitress minimum (different from regular minumum) don't expect a tip.

mrsmom said:
I think I'm a little confused by your response. My daughter doesn't get any money from the menu price. She's like any waitress; they live off of their tips.
Kim :banana:
I don't know why you are confused, I quoted a specific passage in your post regarding your habit of tipping " anybody who puts your order together", which seems odd to me, because if you order and pay for something from a company, I assume they will actually give it to you; that's what you paid for.

I never said anything about your daughter or her specific circumstance, but as far as I am concerned, I would consider her a cashier, not a waitress or server. If she doesn't get enough hours maybe she should consider getting a job somewhere else.

patsal said:
I don't tip when I get to go food, I don't tip at the McD. drive through, Many times the order is wrong when I get home anyway--why would I tip someone who is making minimum wage? :confused3

Mcd is different than a curbside order. My dil works at Mcd and she gets paid $9 an hour compared to Applebees employees. Also they bring your food out to your car you don't drive up. I have never used the curbside pick up but I could not take the food and not least give the person a couple bucks for walking the food out to my car.

I work for Fridays and I'm a bartender. At our store, the bar is responsible for all carryout (we don't have the curbside thing yet). We get paid $2.13/hr. So tips are appreciated! :sunny: I work during the day and find many of our orders are on the large side, 15+ people per order. Alot of times these people expect us to write names on boxes, add extra this and that, and wrap the meat separate from the bread etc.... and we end up with a big goose egg for our effort! If I had to estimate on an average I receive a tip on a carryout about 1 out of every 15. Just thought I would chime in on my own personal opinion. Also, the kitchen staff does nothing for carryout except cook it at our store. It is the bartenders' responsibility to box the items up and bag it and be sure it is correct.

OceanAnnie said:
I think it's very interesting that about 1000 people have viewed this thread and less than 50 have responded. Maybe it's telling. Maybe a lot of people don't tip and just don't want to be judged as being unfair or unreasonable.
Maybe not. Who knows?

To each their own. I think it's a world of difference in the service you get in a sit down restaurant and curbside as other posters have mentioned.

A poll on this topic would be interesting.

I've read this thread but haven't posted because I've never used car side service. I suspect many people are in the same category. Does someone bring the food to your car? I guess I'd tip a few dollars particularly if it's raining. Is it like a drive through window? If so I probably wouldn't tip anything. If I went inside and saw an employee that is normally tipped, a bartender or a waiter, doing a lot of work I might tip a few dollars but if the work was done "behind the scenes" I probably wouldn't. I'm thinking along the lines of rounding up and telling them to keep the change as opposed to a straight percentage.

Here's my 2 cents if anyone is interested :)

I worked at Cracker Barrel for about 2 years. The starting wage for a server (which was my position) was 2.65 and you could make a max of 2.85. Now we as servers were responsible for take-out orders so we were getting paid the 2.?? to do take out orders and if there was no tip then it can be difficult.

Now we are, by federal law, required to report 100% of our tips. At the end of the day when we clock out, it shows our sales for the day. This would include take out orders. Once we report our tips, it shows what percentage of our sales we received in tips. Kind of to see how we are doing. So it hurts to see 5% of your sales was in tips when you have a ton of take-out orders. It can also be a small red flag to the IRS who may think that you aren't reporting all your tips.

Not that the last sentence has anything to do with anything, but just thought I would share the whole scenario.

cobbler said:
Here's my 2 cents if anyone is interested :)

I worked at Cracker Barrel for about 2 years. .... At the end of the day when we clock out, it shows our sales for the day. This would include take out orders. Once we report our tips, it shows what percentage of our sales we received in tips. Kind of to see how we are doing..

The employer is required to report imputed tip income of 8% but that are required to exclude carry out orders from the calculation. Considering all the regulations Cracker Barrell seems to violate I wouldn't be surprised if this one of them.

AppleBees Guest relations, Say's that It is not Required that you tip the Employee. and is totally up to You..

Here's my tip : If you plan on using the service on a regular basis I reccomend that you get to know the servers and tip.
People who work in the service industry have a long memory.
Just because you choose to serve others does not make you their servant.

And yes the Union is great !

luckey-lasvegas said:
Here's my tip : If you plan on using the service on a regular basis I reccomend that you get to know the servers and tip.
People who work in the service industry have a long memory.
Just because you choose to serve others does not make you their servant.

And yes the Union is great !

I treat the cashiers with courtesy. I've never treated anyone as my "servant". I pay for the items I order. They walk about 8 paces to my car and 8 paces back. I've had McDonalds ask me to pull up and wait for my order and walk farther to give it to me. I didn't tip them either. I paid for the product. They get paid for their job. That's the way it works.

I use the curbside very infrequently. It isn't the same as a sit down service. And for those of you that think it is, have at it. We disagree. No biggie to me.

I do think your "tip" is rather rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter