• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Apple computer

pinkplaydoh

Mouseketeer
Anyone have any advice on an apple computer? My husband thinks it might be better than a windows-ran computer.

Much better than Windows. We switched over right before XP came out and love ours! They do not require as much RAM to run well as a windows machine does because the operating systems run differently so do not think you need as much RAM as you do for a windows machine. Also they are much less prone to viruses, and spy/ad ware.

My big thing is they now CAN run windows, though windows is not completely stable on a mac...you can get their version of the PC blue screen of death the "teal" screen of death.

I am typing on my iMac right now, I love Apple, but I am biased, I have used Mac since high school.

I never have to worry about viruses, its speedy and always on the cutting edge.

I love my computer :love:

At my last job I used a PC and it was always having problems.

I think it depends on you level of comfortability with change- my mom would freak if my dad purchased a mac. The change is too big for her and she's barely comfortable with what she has.

Then again, I would never be able to convince her that apple products are much more intuitive than Windows ;) For example, click on "finder" in the lower left corner of the screen, type in a key word of the file/document/application you are looking for and it searches (quickly by elimination) as you type. No 15 step process like with Windows. Additionally, your most used programs are kept on the bottom of the screen.

I absolutely love my Macbook, I use it every day for hours and hours (graduate student) and it is definitely serving me very very well for the abuse it goes through.

I love my mac...but my kids don't so much...the games are hard to find for macs. I did have a hard time adjusting to how everything worked...couldn't find things...or where things were filed. I was so frustrated when I'd download new software and follow the directions, but then whe I'd go to use it next time, it was gone! I found out that I had to drag it to my applications folder or my desktop "dashboard" to have it saved! The little things like that were frustrating. But it's so purdy and now that I'm a bit more mac literate...i love it.

I switched to a Mac last year. Won't gever go back to the PC team. No updating virus protection, no worry about pop ups or spy ware. Easy to transition for a PC to Mac. Love it!

We also switched to mac. If you have a teenager, its the way to go. My daughter was always getting a virus on the pc but since we bought her a mac no problems.

I switched to a Mac last year. Won't gever go back to the PC team. No updating virus protection, no worry about pop ups or spy ware. Easy to transition for a PC to Mac. Love it!

These are my thoughts exactly. I purchased a MacBook last year, then purchased one for my husband this past spring, and purchased another for my brother as his graduation present (family gift). We're definitely converting the house to a Mac house! I will never buy a PC again.

I am a Mac technician, and I own both a Mac and a PC. My main machine is a PC desktop at home, and I use it mostly for games. My portable machine is a MacBook and, that one I use for everything else (music, photos, video editing, etc...). If you are looking for ease of use and great built in video/picture editing, the mac is the way to go. The only reason I don't have a Mac for a desktop is the video games, which there is not many of for the Mac. I suggest going to an Apple store or a Best buy if they have a Mac section and, spend a while trying out all the programs. There is usually a Mac person there that will spend time with you explaining all the features. If you do decide to purchase a Mac I also recommend buying the 3 year warranty from Apple, "if" you ever need a repair it more than pays for itself. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Also the new operating system comes out the end of the month so, if you hold off another week or 2 it will be worth the wait.

I LOVE my Mac. Second only to my condo, it is one of my favorite material posessions. The good thing about Macs is that they just simply work. And work well. Like others mentioned, thoughts of viruses never even cross my mind.

I got my first Mac in 2004 and will never go back! I tried to convince my mother into buying a Mac when she was in the market for a new computer. She opted instead to buy a new PC, and sorely regrets it. Sure, like anything new, it takes a bit of getting used to, but I've found it very simple, intuitive, and easy to use.

Go to the Apple store (hopefully you've got one nearby) and play around and ask questions. I spent hours there with my mother, and they were all very patient and helpful!

I just got a Macbook Pro about a month ago.
I'm still not very knowledgable on it yet. It's taking some time to get used to but I'm trying. My family is all going mac so when it was time to get a new laptop, I went mac.
I like it alot. I'll like it more when I'm able to figure things out quicker.
So far, I can get my email :surfweb:

I am a Mac technician, and I own both a Mac and a PC.

When I was looking into getting a mac I asked my IT tech if he works on Mac and he said "yeah, but rarely because they don't get virus and don't break down". All his business is fixing PC's. I went out and bought a mac!
So..a mac technician? I guess there aren't a lot of you compared to PC technician!

I am a Mac technician

Also the new operating system comes out the end of the month so, if you hold off another week or 2 it will be worth the wait.

Is it worth me buying this (Leopard?) for my 1.5 year old imac? WHat will be different for me with it? I use the photo stuff, have an iphone, itunes, internet generally using safari, sometimes firefox.

I LOVE my Mac! I have to use a PC for work because of the software I use, but at home I use only a Mac. They're much more trouble free than PCs, and they're very easy to use. I love all the iLife software, especially for movies and photos. I'd hold off a couple weeks and get the new operating system. The new iLife looks fantastic!

Is it worth me buying this (Leopard?) for my 1.5 year old imac? WHat will be different for me with it? I use the photo stuff, have an iphone, itunes, internet generally using safari, sometimes firefox.

Wait for a few updates, don't run out and buy it the minute it is released. Read the reviews. There are a few cool new features.

I too love my Apple and have not used a PC except under duress in years.

One of the things I love about my Apple's is that I only ever need to restart them to install software updates. Otherwise it is an amazingly stable platform. We just sleep our laptops and desktops (we are a multiple computer household) Apple users are spoiled though, so if they do need to reboot you will hear them acting like the sky is falling.

My teenaged son does have a PC for games. That machine is a PITA.

We have an Apple & I really like it. At first, I was a little resistant to the change. There's still some things I don't like as well (mainly the movie making program, but it's just b/c I haven't spent much time on it). I :love: love :love: being able to open windows side by side. It's nice to have my Disney planning document up and be able to compare it side by side with TGM's ideas and the Disboards!

If you buy it before the updates come out I believe you can take it to the genius bar and have them uploaded for free?

DH says PCs are necessary for those who like to play with their computers and build onto them, etc. Macs are for those of us who just want it to work.

That's why I love Mac. It's like my car; I don't need to be a mechanic, I just want the thing to work when I turn the key.

Another Mac person here. I have an old Mac at home and a PC at work. I was going to buy a new laptop but I'm so glad that I read this thread because now I'm going to wait for the new OS.

When I was looking into getting a mac I asked my IT tech if he works on Mac and he said "yeah, but rarely because they don't get virus and don't break down". All his business is fixing PC's. I went out and bought a mac!
So..a mac technician? I guess there aren't a lot of you compared to PC technician!

Yeah it does get a little slow sometimes. I find that this a bonus as I am getting paid for surfing these boards.:thumbsup2

For now you probably don't need to upgrade. For the photo stuff you can upgrade to iLife '08, as the iPhoto and other apps are a little more streamlined.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter