Appetizer on the dining plan?

No. You should be able to ask for alternatives to dessert and your server would give you one or more options from soup, salad, or fruit/veggie plate.

According to the "new" rules, you would have to ask for an approved substitution which would be as noted maybe soup, salad, a vegetable side or a fruit selection, but you can't select any appetizer from the menu. And some restaurants apparently may not have all of these options available.

The only report I've seen was the Wave which offered either a side salad or a specific vegetable side (sauteed green beans and mushrooms).

Last edited:
Are they any reviews on what is available at what restaurant? I know this is new and maybe not rolled out completely yet.

I wish they would do a full substitute! I'm not a very big sewwts person and would prefer an appetizer instead. But at least now we can go with a soup or salad.

Are they any reviews on what is available at what restaurant? I know this is new and maybe not rolled out completely yet.
In post #3 Makira Marlena posted what someone reported for The Wave, but that's the only report I've seen so far.

I wish they would do a full substitute! I'm not a very big sewwts person and would prefer an appetizer instead. But at least now we can go with a soup or salad.
One of the hard and fast rules of the dining plan is you cannot sub an appetizer for a dessert. Regular apps take more time/money to prepare than dessert so I doubt they will ever offer this option again. Having a soup, salad or fruit plate is a concession to those who do not want dessert at every meal, but won't take the additional prep time an app would require. Also, based on the report from The Wave, it would appear that each restaurant can choose what they will be offering depending on what is available in their kitchen.

1) Yep.
2) WDW discovered that soup is far cheaper than dessert.

LOL! Yes soup sure is less expensive! I think that making this one little change will also encourage people who just will not eat that dessert to consider the DDP, and in doing so, may lead to that "all inclusive" plan that WDW seems to want folks to purchase.

Now I love dessert so they had me at cupcakes, but fo the others........soup it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter