• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appetizer For Entree On DDP

Mommy2TwoMickeys

DIS Veteran
I just read an article on the Disney Food Blog about "Picky Eaters". It mentioned asking for an app as a entree: Wording is below:

Take Advantage of Appetizers or A La Carte Menus. Often a restaurant will have an appetizer that is familiar to a picky eater — salads, soups, and flatbreads (pretty ubiquitous at Disney World) work well for adults with simple palates. If there’s an appetizer that looks…well…appetizing, ask for a meal-sized portion. Is your toddler only eating mashed potatoes this week? As long as you see the item on a dish some where on the menu, you can order it as a side or meal.

Of course the first thing came to mind.... The Ahi Tuna App @ Yak & Yeti :love:
This app is AMAZING and I would LOVE to order this as my entree! Grant it.. all the food at Yak & Yeti is very good, but that is my fav!

Sooo my question is....Has anyone had success ordering an app as an entree??

If you're going to do that, you shouldn't be on the dining plan. You're costing yourself a lot of extra $$..

If you're going to do that, you shouldn't be on the dining plan. You're costing yourself a lot of extra $$..

It would just be for that one sitdown, so overall during the trip..it would still save me some $$ .Also, I should have asked in my original post...if anyone has ordered an app as an entree, is it just the same amount as an app or do they give you extra on your plate?? In the blog that I read, it mentioned that if you wanted to order off the kids menu for an adult(ex. Chicken Nuggets) they would give you more chicken nuggets instead of the 6(?) that they would give a child.

From reports you are most likely to have trouble with this at restaurants that are not operated by Disney (like Yak & Yeti). They tend to follow the letter of the dining plan. Things may be different when using the dining plan from the descriptions on the blog.

I regularly order an appetizer for my entree. I don't think that I've ever gotten a bigger portion but it is generally more than enough since many appetizers are designed for sharing. I don't have a picky palate; I just find appetizers to often be the most interesting and delicious things on the menu.

We haven't gotten the dining plan in several years but the San Angel Inn was the only place that have me trouble about this in the past. Our waiter claimed that we couldn't use a deluxe dining credit if both of us didn't order an appetizer, entree, dessert, AND beverage - skipping a course would mean paying OOP for what we did order and we couldn't "gift" any of the food to the tables next door. The manager backed him up. Such a waste of food since I wasn't hungry and didn't touch either the entree or the dessert I was forced to order.

San Angel is another restaurant that is not operated by Disney.

Yes. Why not just pay cash for your appetizer and use your dining plan credit for another restaurant? I expect to do that myself for non-buffet restaurants because sometimes a salad is enough for me.

We are doing DDP and TIW (OOP) will be getting an appetizer or 2 but will still use or DDP entitlements. We have gotten the dining plan many times, but haven't asked about that. I have been with kids at every age of the spectrum, and will be there in March with DD2 (as well as DS15, DS13, DD9, DS7, & DS4) Most of the time I have chosen something that I can share with the child that is not 3 yet. I haven't fed my small ones the same thing everyday of our trips.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared to be told it is not allowed if only trying to redeem DDP credits to do this.

We were not allowed to substitute an appetizer for an entree at Chef de France. We were on the DxDDP and I wanted two appetizers instead of an appetizer and an entree. The waiter even asked the manager, who came out and explained that it was not allowed and we had to order exactly at the DxDDP states (one appetizer, one entree, one dessert, and one beverage).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter