AP with a MagicBand BEFORE my stay - My personal observations

ethanwa

Disney Superfan
Here is who we are:

- Family of 4
- Florida residents
- Deluxe (2 kids) and Premier Passport (2 adults) Annual Passports

ap.jpg

We booked a trip last week for a one-night stay at Art of Animation for late November. The reason we did this was:

1. To get MagicBands as AP holders
2. To get a jump start on FastPass+ bookings as AP holders
3. To see the new resort for a night

We are NOT canceling our trip, unlike some "cheaters" to the system. A few days ago we got our personalized MagicBands via UPS. They linked to our account just fine automatically 24 hours after receiving them and here is what it looks likes:

mb.png

Here are some general observations about our account since we got our bands:

- We did online check-in and added a credit card number and PIN to the band to do purchases with the MagicBands.

- We CAN make FastPass+ reservations for the day of our stay and ANY day afterwards. We can't do FP+ reservations online for any day before our stay.

fastpass.png

And today we used our MagicBands for the first time in the parks BEFORE our stay and here is what happened:

- It worked to get in the park just fine. The MagicBands acted like our AP cards.

- We went to a FP+ kiosk at Animal Kingdom Guest Relations and all four of us were able to make three FP+ reservations for the day at Noon. We got Everest Expedition, Lion King, and Safari. We did not get to pick any other rides besides those three for some reason. We were able to book all four of us no problems.

img_6073.jpg

- We got an email within 5 minutes of making our FP+ reservation with all the details of our reservation. I had to manually enter my e-mail into the kiosk... it did not take my email from my account automatically unfortunately.

fp-email.png

- The iPhone app took about 20 minutes to catch up within the "My Plans" section of the app to show our correct FP+ details. It did show them initially, but with just 3 of the 4 people. It just took some time to sync.

fp-plans.png

- The FP+ worked just fine when we used one at the Safari.

- The purchasing with my MagicBand and my PIN number DID NOT work. The guy at the store said my band was "not authorized to make purchases." I am assuming this will work after we check into our room in November.

Overall, things for us as AP holders have working smoothly even before we've stayed at a resort. Hopefully after our stay FP+ will continue to work, as well as PIN purchases. I'll do an update post after our November stay.

If there are questions, let me know!

Ethan

Just to clarify...you have access to the FP+ system 60 days out. You cannot make ant advance FP+ selections until the first day of your reservation, but the last day available to you will continue to advance each day.

Just to clarify...you have access to the FP+ system 60 days out. You cannot make ant advance FP+ selections until the first day of your reservation, but the last day available to you will continue to advance each day.

Oh ok, I see. I will update the post.

This is very helpful. Thank you. We are AP holders and I was thinking of doing the same thing. We usually stay offsite but I'd love to see AoA and have been thinking of making a reservation for one night of our December trip.

If I make a reservation today for a trip in early December would I have to wait for the Magic Bands to actually be mailed to us before I could make FP+ reservations or could I make them as soon as I make the reservation (since we're in the 60 day window)?

If I make a reservation today for a trip in early December would I have to wait for the Magic Bands to actually be mailed to us before I could make FP+ reservations or could I make them as soon as I make the reservation (since we're in the 60 day window)?

The bands ship out about 30 days before check in. If you book within the 30-day window you usually have a day or two to customize the bands and then they are shipped.

You do not have to wait for the bands to arrive to make FP+ selections, but you will not be able to make any for before the first day of your reservation. You will be able to use the in-park kiosks to make same-day FP+ selections until then. You will also be able to make FP+ selections up to 60 days out after your reservation. In other words, the system remains open to you after your reservation has ended.

Here is who we are: - Family of 4 - Florida residents - Deluxe (2 kids) and Premier Passport (2 adults) Annual Passports We booked a trip last week for a one-night stay at Art of Animation for late November. The reason we did this was: 1. To get MagicBands as AP holders 2. To get a jump start on FastPass+ bookings as AP holders 3. To see the new resort for a night We are NOT canceling our trip, unlike some "cheaters" to the system. A few days ago we got our personalized MagicBands via UPS. They linked to our account just fine automatically 24 hours after receiving them and here is what it looks likes: Here are some general observations about our account since we got our bands: - We did online check-in and added a credit card number and PIN to the band to do purchases with the MagicBands. - We CAN make FastPass+ reservations for the day of our stay and ANY day afterwards. We can't do FP+ reservations online for any day before our stay. And today we used our MagicBands for the first time in the parks BEFORE our stay and here is what happened: - It worked to get in the park just fine. The MagicBands acted like our AP cards. - We went to a FP+ kiosk at Animal Kingdom Guest Relations and all four of us were able to make three FP+ reservations for the day at Noon. We got Everest Expedition, Lion King, and Safari. We did not get to pick any other rides besides those three for some reason. We were able to book all four of us no problems. - We got an email within 5 minutes of making our FP+ reservation with all the details of our reservation. I had to manually enter my e-mail into the kiosk... it did not take my email from my account automatically unfortunately. - The iPhone app took about 20 minutes to catch up within the "My Plans" section of the app to show our correct FP+ details. It did show them initially, but with just 3 of the 4 people. It just took some time to sync. - The FP+ worked just fine when we used one at the Safari. - The purchasing with my MagicBand and my PIN number DID NOT work. The guy at the store said my band was "not authorized to make purchases." I am assuming this will work after we check into our room in November. Overall, things for us as AP holders have working smoothly even before we've stayed at a resort. Hopefully after our stay FP+ will continue to work, as well as PIN purchases. I'll do an update post after our November stay. If there are questions, let me know! Ethan

How quick after you make your reservation do you find out if you will be getting magic bands? I want to make a reservation for the end of the month but I am afraid I won't get the bands. I hate to pay for a room and not get them.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

How quick after you make your reservation do you find out if you will be getting magic bands? I want to make a reservation for the end of the month but I am afraid I won't get the bands. I hate to pay for a room and not get them.

I found out immediately. I was able to customize them right away. Make sure you don't book too close to your stay (like 10 days or less out) or you won't get to customize your bands... you'll all just get gray ones when you check in at the hotel.

I found out immediately. I was able to customize them right away. Make sure you don't book too close to your stay (like 10 days or less out) or you won't get to customize your bands... you'll all just get gray ones when you check in at the hotel.

Sounds great thanks again!

All resorts are now offering Magic Bands. When you say end of the month are you talking about November? If so, you will be able to personalize your Magic Bands and they will be sent to you. If you mean to book a reservation in the next few days you will not have time to personalize and will get gray bands at check in.

Once you make your reservation, make sure it is linked to your MDEx account. As long as time permits you should then see a link that says Personalize Magic Bands on your main MDEx page. When you click on it you will see how long you have to personalize the bands. Once that window closes the bands should be shipped the next day.

All resorts are now offering Magic Bands. When you say end of the month are you talking about November? If so, you will be able to personalize your Magic Bands and they will be sent to you. If you mean to book a reservation in the next few days you will not have time to personalize and will get gray bands at check in. Once you make your reservation, make sure it is linked to your MDEx account. As long as time permits you should then see a link that says Personalize Magic Bands on your main MDEx page. When you click on it you will see how long you have to personalize the bands. Once that window closes the bands should be shipped the next day.

Most likely the 30th of November at POP.

The bands ship out about 30 days before check in. If you book within the 30-day window you usually have a day or two to customize the bands and then they are shipped.

You do not have to wait for the bands to arrive to make FP+ selections, but you will not be able to make any for before the first day of your reservation. You will be able to use the in-park kiosks to make same-day FP+ selections until then. You will also be able to make FP+ selections up to 60 days out after your reservation. In other words, the system remains open to you after your reservation has ended.

Thank you for the information :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter