AP Upgrade Question

bht963

Earning My Ears
I posted this yesterday and never got a response. Then I realized I posted it on the wrong board. Oops! :sad2:

Our family is heading to WDW this June and we booked a package with the Spring promotion. My girlfriend and I are strongly considering another trip around Labor Day and therefore we are debating rather or not to upgrade our MYW Package tickets to AP's. I want to make sure that we know how much it's going to cost us should we decide to upgrade.

We got a 6-day MYW base ticket with our package. I see that the current gate price of that ticket is $296.07 after taxes. If we wanted to upgrade to the regular Annual Pass for $611.31 (after taxes), does that mean that each ticket that we decided to upgrade would cost $315.24? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. I just wanted to be sure that the MYW Package tickets will carry the same value as a ticket that is purchased at the gate.

Of course these prices are assuming that there is no ticket price increase between now and then.

I did this a few years ago I upgraded a 7 day ticket to an AP. I used one day at the MK and went to guest relations to upgrade.

Also I have heard you save a little on the AP when you use a day on your ticket before you upgrade rather than heading to a ticket booth before you enter the park for the day.

I am planning on doing this again in April so I will let you know what the price comes out to be!

I posted this yesterday and never got a response. Then I realized I posted it on the wrong board. Oops! :sad2:

Our family is heading to WDW this June and we booked a package with the Spring promotion. My girlfriend and I are strongly considering another trip around Labor Day and therefore we are debating rather or not to upgrade our MYW Package tickets to AP's. I want to make sure that we know how much it's going to cost us should we decide to upgrade.

We got a 6-day MYW base ticket with our package. I see that the current gate price of that ticket is $296.07 after taxes. If we wanted to upgrade to the regular Annual Pass for $611.31 (after taxes), does that mean that each ticket that we decided to upgrade would cost $315.24? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. I just wanted to be sure that the MYW Package tickets will carry the same value as a ticket that is purchased at the gate.

Of course these prices are assuming that there is no ticket price increase between now and then.

I think the important thing is what you paid for the ticket as part of your package not the gate price of the ticket. When you go to upgrade they will check the ticket value and you would be charged the difference. Again this is what I think will happen. I very well may be wrong. I am interested in hearing more about the discount that occurs when you use one day of the MTW ticket before upgrading. :confused3

Do read the tickets sticky at the top of this section of the DIS. It should answer your question.

At one point, no matter what, if you used your ticket most CM's would "bridge" your ticket. Which means you would get the current full price value of your ticket.

It is my understanding that DIsney changed this policy. Now if you bought the itcket via WDW, you will get what you paid for the ticket. the exception to that is if you buy your ticket via a place like Undercover Tickets. And even then, there was jsut a thread about this - you might get CM that won't bridge the ticket.

In any event, you might get lucky. It is worthwhile to use the ticket before you try and convert it to an AP. DO NOT wait until the ticket is all used up - that was another policy change last year. Once your ticket is all used up, they won't let you convert it in any way.

DO make the change when the lines are short. Earlyu in the monring lines are long, but in the afternoon, and at night, they are usually quite short.

You will only be able to get an AP at a park, a water park, or DTD. You can't convert to an AP at a hotel. (though some other simple ticket modifications can be done at resort concierge desks.)

In your case, you might also want to look at the cost of a ten day no expiration ticket. If you only end up using five and five, it might be a better deal.

If it's just the tow of you, and youa re just doiing two six day trips - then Tables in Wonderland probably won't save you moeny. If your return trip though would be with extenede family ---it might be worthwile to consider Tables in Wonderland. It costs I think $100 now, and gives you 20% off at table serve meals. To break even though you'll have to spend over $500 on table service meals (it works at a few QSplaces, but mostly table serve meals). an AP will also give you 10% off at some places- both merch and food.

Sometimes with an AP you can get a room discount, but supposedly those are going to be smaller this year. Do not buy it withthe assumption of getting a room discount. If you are at teh beark evne point - you may want to consider it.

Last, to get a room discount - you only need ONE AP. If you are on the border, ti might make sense to get ONE AP, and have the other person use a park ticket.

If you convert your ticket to an AP, the one year period will start the day you first used the ticket. If you have not used the ticket, it will be the day you buy the AP. It may be possible to go to WDW in 2014 the last week of May (or one week earlier in June) using the same AP....but thenh you are also gambling against what kind of discount will be offered then...

Do read the tickets sticky at the top of this section of the DIS. It should answer your question.

At one point, no matter what, if you used your ticket most CM's would "bridge" your ticket. Which means you would get the current full price value of your ticket.

It is my understanding that DIsney changed this policy. Now if you bought the itcket via WDW, you will get what you paid for the ticket. the exception to that is if you buy your ticket via a place like Undercover Tickets. And even then, there was jsut a thread about this - you might get CM that won't bridge the ticket.

In any event, you might get lucky. It is worthwhile to use the ticket before you try and convert it to an AP. DO NOT wait until the ticket is all used up - that was another policy change last year. Once your ticket is all used up, they won't let you convert it in any way.

The OP said the tickets are part of a package booked with the Spring promotion so they can be bridged as long as they are used at least once before upgrading. Also because they'll be on the KTTW cards, the tickets have the full 14 days to be upgraded even if they're completely used up.

The info is in post #7 of Cheshire Figment's ticket sticky.

Thanks for clarifying that detail.

I should have clarified my post better- the OP will have the best odds of avoiding a hassle- if they modify their ticket mid-vacation - after the tickets have been used, but before they are used up. Of that I am certain!

In practice, OP may well get a CM that says something different from what is in the sticky. They may well get a CM who is reluctant to bridge. I have had it happen to me several times. If that happens, it is often best to walk away without making any changes. Try again later with a different CM. (again there's a recent thread about this called, "Price Bridging did not work for me". some folks have changd tickets withouta hassle, but not all guests.)

I swear I read here last summer that Disney was no longer allowing tickets - even KTTW tickets - that were all used up to be modified, and that only offsite tickets were allowed to be bridged. Maybe they made changes back, or maybe I misremembered the details.

It also doesn't work to tell a CM, "But I read on the internet that I could do this!" :rotfl2:

ah, I'm not crazy. On the Disney website itself, under ticket FAQ it says:

Can new tickets be upgraded once they′re purchased?

Yes. New Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or, if entitlements remain on your Magic Your Way Ticket, then you may upgrade or modify the ticket anytime in person within 14 days from the date of first use. After this 14-day window, or if no entitlements remain, then tickets may not be modified or upgraded. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days)

(underline mine)

I'm not saying the sticky here is wrong. I'm saying I did see it written some place official-like.

I upgraded our 4 day park hoppers that we got through the Disney. I calculated the same way you did (the price difference between a 4 dya ph on the site and and an AP) and I was dead on.

ah, I'm not crazy. On the Disney website itself, under ticket FAQ it says:

Can new tickets be upgraded once they′re purchased?

Yes. New Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or, if entitlements remain on your Magic Your Way Ticket, then you may upgrade or modify the ticket anytime in person within 14 days from the date of first use. After this 14-day window, or if no entitlements remain, then tickets may not be modified or upgraded. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days)

(underline mine)

I'm not saying the sticky here is wrong. I'm saying I did see it written some place official-like.

Cheshire Figment's Ticket Sticky, Post 6, Para. 5, adds additional info from Disney. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
In addition, effective August 1, 2011, if you have used all of your entitlements on a ticket, the last day of use of entitlements is also the last day that you can do any sort of upgrade. So if you had a four day ticket and your fourth day of use was a Friday, from Saturday onward you cannot do any upgrade even though it is within the 14 day period. Note this does not apply to tickets on the KTTW or to multi-day Florida Resident Tickets; in these cases the Guest name is preprinted on the ticket and they may add days after the last entitlement is used as long as they have a photo ID that matches the name preprinted on the ticket.

Those with KTTW cards or Fla. Resident tickets can show personal ownership of their tickets, so they can upgrade even after entitlements are used up. Those with standard MYW tickets have no way to prove ownership. Adding days gets very inexpensive after day 4, and this was a prime invitation to scammers to make a buck by buying used tickets cheap, adding days cheap, and selling the ticket as a high-priced new ticket to unsuspecting folks who didn't know about the fingerprint scan. Thus Disney tightened up the upgrade-ability of standard MYW tickets.
Earlier this year there was a Disney change that affected which MYW tickets were eligible for price-bridging. At first it seemed that no Disney ticket, even package tickets, could be price-bridged. Within a few days this notice was modified and it came down to tickets from a WDW ticket booth or Guest Relations, or online purchase for mailing or will-call, could not be bridged. Those tickets purchased through your resort would be bridged, also those from The Disney Store, AAA, and from third party resellers such as Undercover Tourist. IMO Disney caused tons of needless confusion with their new rule-then immediate new rule modification. In your case, you read the first version, didn't happen to see the modification.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2938971

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter