AP Upgrade Interrogation- heard about it but wow!

Bread&Butterflies

Mouseketeer
I have read in passing that some have posted about being interrogated when upgrading to AP's. I upgrade before and had no questions asked. This past weekend tho I had a very different encounter. I used the location in Calif Adventure as I had a margarita I couldn't take out of the park that I wanted to finish. And there was no line so I went for it when I hadn't planned on doing the actual upgrade until later that day.

I felt like I was committing some kind of crime when she kept on going...

Here are the questions I was asked and my responses:

1)What was the 1st day you used the tickets? -
"Saturday"

2)Were all the days used consecutive? -
"um yes? this is day 3"

3)Did you always use the main entrances to the parks.-
" um yes? what other way is there to get in?"
Through a hotel or other entrances-
"oh, well I had lunch @ White Water snacks yesterday and left and returned to the park through the grand Calif entrance into CA..."
oh! ok
(me now starting to feel interrogated but still being my patient self and feeling a little facetious )
" do you need to know what I ate?"

4) no... how did you buy the tickets?-
"online- I used etickets"

5)and how were the tickets paid for?-
"I used my visa check card... I am a past AP holder and I am sure you still have my info in the system. The only reason I bought the tickets this time instead of renewing was because we had to move our trip a day earlier and needed to come on a AP block out day-"

6) Can I see your ID please... ( I hand it over) Were your past APs active in the past 2 years?-
"yes"

7) CM looks up my past AP info and proceeds to ask ANOTHER question.
When is your daughters birthday?-
"it is today as a matter of fact:love:- we are here to celebrate"

CM continues to verify my mailing address etc... but by then I was thinking, WOW, that was a lot of questions!?!?!? :eek: What would have happened if I answered wrong...:confused: I felt like it was a test I could have failed:sad2: and she would have said to me from behind the counter( like the soup Nazi) , "NO AP for you!" :lmao:

Seriously, if you have any choice , stay away from the short blonde haired 3rd degree expert at the AP upgrade counter in DCA... I don't even think she said Happy Birthday to my dd... :mad:

Other than this, our time in the parks were great....lol Including finding Maynard in the Enchanted Tiki Room... I went up to him after it ended and told him I had been looking for him for 2 years worth of trips... he was flattered & was the funniest, coolest CM I have ever encountered... so sweet... did a private little show for my dd after the Tiki show ended & before the next group came in , then again at the exit door while others streamed in , and then again when we walked around to the front to get the stroller... my dd says, "bye Maynard" and he came over and started in again and she was cracking up!!! So amazing! (I should really do a little trip report- so much to tell!)

Yes, do a trip report or at least do a separate thread about Maynard! I ran into him as he was doing crowd control for the fireworks one night, OMG hilarious! I think he talked to me for a good 20 minutes, even sang a song. I cannot remember a word he said, but I was nearly crying he was so funny.

I'm sorry about the interrogation. I knew it could happen but it didn't when we upgraded in '07. There must be quite a bit of attempted fraud for them to be doing this to such an extent.

I think we had everyone of those questions asked to us except the bday one lol. Our soup Nazi :goodvibes was an older lady with long grayish hair. seriously I don't think she smiled once!

" do you need to know what I ate?"

:rotfl2:

I saw Maynard at the Tiki Room as well and was so excited, my family thought I was NUTS! Especially when I got a picture with him. He was a riot. He proceeded to introduce us in front of everyone during the show and had us put napkins on our head in case the birds had an um.....accident. :laughing:

I think we had everyone of those questions asked to us except the bday one lol. Our soup Nazi :goodvibes was an older lady with long grayish hair. seriously I don't think she smiled once!

I think we had her too! No personality whatsoever and GRILLED us. :eek:

Wow crazy! I know this wasn't an upgrade (and maybe I shouldn't be talking about this!) but I went with two friends last week and they each bought a SoCal AP online. They just moved to CA a few months ago and have out-of-state licenses. I told them to be sure to bring several pieces of mail (utility bills, etc.) with them that had their new SoCal address. I informed them that they'd have to show them when they got their passes, yadda yadda. Well, we got to the park and they showed their printed e-ticket AP's. They didn't have to show anything at the turnstiles but I thought for SURE they would have to show something at the AP processing center. Nope. They breezed in, had their picture taken, and left. The AP people never even asked to see proof that they lived in SoCal.

Now, I don't know if it's like that for everyone, but I was almost a little upset that it was so easy for them! I can't imagine why people upgrading a ticket to an AP would have to endure what you did, but people buying new AP's with SoCal limitations weren't even asked where they lived!

The reason they grill you to the third degree is because people try to cheat the system. This is what they do:

As someone is leaving for the day they ask if they can have their used 3 day hoppers as a special souvenier for junior. You, as a tourist who have just had a wonderful 3 day vacation and have no need for a used up ticket say sure and hand it over. They take this ticket to the window and try to upgrade to an AP. If you paid $180 for your parkhopper, they apply that amount to the person trying to get an AP. They want to make sure the same person that purchased the hopper is upgrading to the AP. There is only so much info they have in their computer system about the hopper, so they ask as much as they can. I don't blame them.

But I certainly think they need to bring their happy CM self to work everyday and at least make it as pleasant as possible for you. Sorry you got a grump! :rotfl:

I'm sorry about your interrogation! I'm pretty sure they take your overall responses--if you'd gotten a question wrong maybe they'd have let you go. Either that or they have a back room to take you to... :)

I don't know what's up with asking your daughter's birthday, though. I hope that's not on your AP? And it's kind of a weird question to ask.

I did get questioned when I upgraded to an AP last June but I don't remember it feeling like an interrogation. I did get out probably a full 2-3 minutes faster than my friend though, so I'm kind of wondering if she got the 3rd degree.

I THINK the reason they interrogate people upgrading a hopper is because someone might buy a 6-day hopper, use 5 days, and then give it to a friend, who is able to upgrade to an AP for less than $150. Obviously Disney does not want that to happen, so that's why they ask questions. I'd rather they just did the fingerprint thing like WDW, but that might slow crowds down too much upon entry.

Regardless, I'd love to read a trip report. :)

We finally saw Maynard for the first time during our last trip - he was working Lincoln. He was great ... did a little 'show' for us and took pictures. What a great CM!

I totally get why they do it... I have seen posts on Craigs List with people selling 2 days left on Park Hoppers and announcing they could use the entire ticket value to upgrade to AP's.

The questioning just seems so random. If they all did it ALL the time to everyone, I would just pass it off as policy.
Not 1 question on my last upgrade. After she had my ID in hand, past AP info AND my picture in her system in front of her and I had answered all previous questions correct, I was a little shocked about the added question about my dd's birthday... :confused3 If she would have bestowed some sort of magical birthday surprise on my dd, or at least said Happy Birthday it would have not seemed so over the top at that point. ya know? Yeah less grump-ish-ness would be better too! :flower3:

They didn't have to show anything at the turnstiles but I thought for SURE they would have to show something at the AP processing center. Nope. They breezed in, had their picture taken, and left. The AP people never even asked to see proof that they lived in SoCal.

That's...pretty weird. You sure that what they told you is what happened? We had Deluxe APs and had to show our drivers licenses. Also told them our current address, b/c WA doesn't require that you have your exact address on your license (but you do have to let them know when you move, and CAN pay $5 to get a new DL at that time), so our addresses are not current.

Did they have their stuff out, so the CMs knew that they had the proof with them? I mean, they had to GIVE their address, right?

If they didn't, they won't get their renewal info by mail, and if the AP newsletter continues to be published and mailed they definitely won't get that. :upsidedow

They didn't have to show anything at the turnstiles but I thought for SURE they would have to show something at the AP processing center. Nope. They breezed in, had their picture taken, and left. The AP people never even asked to see proof that they lived in SoCal.

That's...pretty weird. You sure that what they told you is what happened?

Did they have their stuff out, so the CMs knew that they had the proof with them? I mean, they had to GIVE their address, right?

Oh, I'm sure, I was right there with them! They had to show their license in the processing center to prove that the name matched, but their licenses are both Florida licenses (so obviously not a SoCal address). They had the paperwork (mail) in their purse just in case, but didn't have it visible and didn't have to show it. I felt like a chump because the whole time I was talking up how important it was to bring that stuff along, and then they never even asked to see it! They gave them their address to enter into the computer, but again, the CM never asked for confirmation. They could have given my address for all the CM knew, you know?

I had a flashback of Mel Brookes and Bea Arthur in "History of the World,Part 1". :scared:

Oh, I'm sure, I was right there with them! They had to show their license in the processing center to prove that the name matched, but their licenses are both Florida licenses (so obviously not a SoCal address). They had the paperwork (mail) in their purse just in case, but didn't have it visible and didn't have to show it. I felt like a chump because the whole time I was talking up how important it was to bring that stuff along, and then they never even asked to see it! They gave them their address to enter into the computer, but again, the CM never asked for confirmation. They could have given my address for all the CM knew, you know?

Were they doing the payment plan? Disney can't collect on people who aren't in the Southern California area, so that might be their biggest concern as far as the Southern California pass goes. (I do think the CMs should've checked, but I'm not sure they had rules that they had to?)

Were they doing the payment plan? Disney can't collect on people who aren't in the Southern California area, so that might be their biggest concern as far as the Southern California pass goes. (I do think the CMs should've checked, but I'm not sure they had rules that they had to?)

No, they made a one-time payment with a credit card online and then just printed out the voucher.

That's...pretty weird. You sure that what they told you is what happened? We had Deluxe APs and had to show our drivers licenses. Also told them our current address, b/c WA doesn't require that you have your exact address on your license (but you do have to let them know when you move, and CAN pay $5 to get a new DL at that time), so our addresses are not current.

If they didn't, they won't get their renewal info by mail, and if the AP newsletter continues to be published and mailed they definitely won't get that. :upsidedow

No she's right. We just bought SoCal AP's because I couldn't afford deluxes for my son and I...but can't not have an AP lol anyway...we did the etickets and she just confirmed my address and my sons birthday. Then we took photos and were on our way :) They haven't checked at all. I do live here but still...haven't checked.

Interesting.

darph nader...:rotfl2: "Did you [tell jokes]* last week?" "No." "Did you TRY to [tell jokes] last week?" "Yes."

That was my first view of unemployement insurance! :rotfl: (gawd we watched that waaaaaay too young....)

Oh wait..."No, they made a one-time payment with a credit card online and then just printed out the voucher. " So their info was already in the system, hooked up to a CC. Addresses are matched, at least by zip, with that sort of thing, so perhaps that's part of the checking.

Or they just want to keep us on our toes! Better to have the documentation and not need it, than not have it and need it, is what I always say. (maybe not ALWAYS)

*switched it to the words inside brackets as a substitute of the phrase Bea uses, b/c with just the __ there it looked like it could be something really naughty...

When we upgraded our passes in November, the CM asked when we'd first used the ticket, each day we'd used the ticket and how we purchased them. So they must have different questions for different tickets.

And along the showing ID lines - when we bought Southern California passes for the first time, we bought one for my mother as well, even though she lives in Northern California. Her ID hung them up for a bit, but then they gave her the pass anyway :confused3 Maybe they've changed their policy on this since then. It was a few years ago.

Tracy

Maybe they ask more questions depending on how many of your PH days you have used. So if it's your last day on your PH and it's later in the day maybe they ask more questions to make sure someone isn't doing the scam that lulubelle described. If it's the first day of the PH people aren't likely to give their ticket away so it's more likely that the the people who paid for the PH are the ones who want to upgrade. Just a thought since it seems like people are having vastly different experiences. I'm sure it depends on the CM too. Hmmm... OP, you weren't looking extra suspicious that day were you? :rotfl:

Maybe they ask more questions depending on how many of your PH days you have used. So if it's your last day on your PH and it's later in the day maybe they ask more questions to make sure someone isn't doing the scam that lulubelle described. If it's the first day of the PH people aren't likely to give their ticket away so it's more likely that the the people who paid for the PH are the ones who want to upgrade. Just a thought since it seems like people are having vastly different experiences. I'm sure it depends on the CM too. Hmmm... OP, you weren't looking extra suspicious that day were you? :rotfl:

That makes sense. You're probably on to something there - maybe it is just the folks who are doing the upgrades on the last day that trigger the questions...or it could be a random thing, depending on the CM one encounters. I would think that if everyone upgrading was asked these questions, this would slow down the whole process tremendously. And from what I have seen of that AP Processing line at times, they don't need anything else to slow it down (I still remember how long it was when I got my AP in 2008:scared1: My friend was getting a good ol' rest back in the hotel while I stood in the line to get my photo taken).

In any case, it makes perfect sense that Disney has to employ this interrogation because there are sooooo many people selling their used Hoppers now on Craigs List, Ebay, wherever they can, and probably lots of folks taking advantage of the big savings on getting an AP. But I'm not sure that even the totally legitimate guests (who just want to upgrade their tickets/AP's and are not up to any shenanigans) would remember the answers to some of those questions without having to stop and really think about the answer for a minute!! I am sure I would blank out on a few of them when put on the spot!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter