AP Price Increase?

From what I read (from posters here) if you didn't upgrade prior to the price change they charged the higher amount. The only exception was if you had received a card in the mail with a renewal price actually listed on it. If so then they honored that price but only if you presented the card with the price in person to renew.

Also, if they change the type of pass offered and yours is no longer available, you end up being forced to purchase the equivalent at its new price.

They did away with the DL premium pass last year and the equivalent is the signature AP plus now. Our pass expiration date is October 15th, and we didn't renew before they changed the passes on October 4th last year. We had to pay for the new signature plus AP and could not renew our premium pass.

I forget the site to check but I remember looking this up and historically I think it was October that aps go up in price and there has only been a few exceptions to a different time of year or a second time in the same year they changed.

please correct me if I'm wrong or you know the site as my googling didnt' find it.

OK - I'll be "that guy" and correct you! (Please don't be mad at me.) APs went up in October of last year, but haven't done so for many, many years before that.

The best site I've ever found for historic ticket prices is at All Ears:
http://allears.net/tix/tickethistory.htm

Historically - ticket prices and AP prices rise every 12 months, though roughly every THREE years they rise in a shorter timeframe, usually about 8-10 months. Until last year - APs and ticket prices would rise together - so the most recent ones.

August 2011 (1 year): APs and regular tickets rose
June 2012 (10 month shift): APs and regular tickets rose
June 2012 (1 year): APs and regular tickets rose
June 2013 (1 year): APs and regular tickets rose
Feb 2014 (8 month shift): APs and regular tickets rose
Feb 2015 (1 year): APs and regular tickets rose
Oct 2015 (8 month shift): APs rose but regular tickets did not
Feb 2016 (1 year): Regular tickets rose but APs did not

So - we are currently in a brand new pattern - where APs and regular tickets aren't rising together. However, there's a good chance they will eventually shift those back together. The one piece of history that is consistent is that prices have gone up in 12 months or less - every single year back to the beginning of Magic Your Way.

So - here is my prediction of what will happen:
Oct 2016 (1 year): APs rise but regular tickets do not
Feb 2017 (1 year): regular tickets rise but APs do not
Oct 2017 (8 month shift): APs and regular tickets rise together

It is quite possible the 8 months shift on regular tickets occurs in 2016. However, since the original question was about APs - I would expect nearly 100% that APs will rise in price before the end of October, and based on last year I expect it will happen this coming weekend.

I just bought three GOLD APs that we will not be using until late 2017 / early 2018. I figure I will likely miss TWO price increases before I use them and will definitely miss at least ONE, so I consider that a good investment. $1750 investment that will likely return between $100 and $300 return in 14 months is better than the stock market!

Also, if they change the type of pass offered and yours is no longer available, you end up being forced to purchase the equivalent at its new price.

They did away with the DL premium pass last year and the equivalent is the signature AP plus now. Our pass expiration date is October 15th, and we didn't renew before they changed the passes on October 4th last year. We had to pay for the new signature plus AP and could not renew our premium pass.
This is not really correct. If you buy or renew a pass before the price increase or if they change the pass type your AP will still be good under the old price and type. The reason you had to pay for the new type was because you did not renew "before" the change.

My Anniversary date is Oct. 19, so I was hoping to wait until Oct. 1 to renew so I wouldn't have an overlap. So I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed ...

This is not really correct. If you buy or renew a pass before the price increase or if they change the pass type your AP will still be good under the old price and type. The reason you had to pay for the new type was because you did not renew "before" the change.

That is exactly what I said. Once they change the type of pass and your current pass is no longer an option, you cannot renew your old pass at the renewal price even if you have a renewal card (outside of the Southern California pass). You have to upgrade/downgrade to a different pass now offered.

If we had renewed October 3, we would have had the DL premium pass still and renewed at our renewal price. Since we did not though, we were forced to upgrade to the Signature Plus AP to maintain the same level of pass (i.e. no blackout dates).

I could use the expert opinions on getting an annual pass. We are going in early December, and currently have 8 day park hoppers we were going to upgrade to annual passes once we get there. Would we be better to call and get annual pars now instead? That way we avoid the increase? Or does it not matter since we have the other passes, the price will increase so it equals out?

I could use the expert opinions on getting an annual pass. We are going in early December, and currently have 8 day park hoppers we were going to upgrade to annual passes once we get there. Would we be better to call and get annual pars now instead? That way we avoid the increase? Or does it not matter since we have the other passes, the price will increase so it equals out?

I don't think they'll let you do an increase over the phone. You have to do it in person on property.

We are doing the same thing in November. When I called I was told all ticket upgrades have to be done in person at guest services.

I don't think they'll let you do an increase over the phone. You have to do it in person on property.

Correct...

You can upgrade them and pay the offset in person...but once you have purchased tickets that is the only way to "upgrade" them. They don't do refunds and resells...that is a line they will never cross.

I think what others have said are correct...you can't change to AP without being present there.

Your last question - about the price increase - IF they increased the 8 day park hopper price at the same time, then you are correct in thinking you would get the higher value for the 8 day hopper. However, since they increased standard ticket prices in February but APs in October 2015, it could be that only AP prices will be raised, in which case you wouldn't get that benefit.

I will say this: This is the risk that you take by buying a ticket with a package and then later converting it to an AP. We did this ourselves once when getting a ticket for free dining and then converting it to an AP. I assume you are doing something similar. Truthfully, the ticket increase probably won't be huge - but YNK.

Your last question - about the price increase - IF they increased the 8 day park hopper price at the same time, then you are correct in thinking you would get the higher value for the 8 day hopper.

It depends how the eight-day hopper was purchased. If it was part of a package or bought from an authorized reseller (Undercover Tourist, Parksavers, etc.) the ticket would be bridged to the increased gate price when you go to upgrade.

If the hopper was purchased as a stand-alone ticket from Disney, it would not be brought to the increased value, you would pay the difference between what you paid and the cost of the AP.

It was bought as a part of a package, so that helps. I didn't realize I can't make the annual pass a part of the package. At least it gives me more time to decide if it will be worth upgrading.

Here is a possibility. Use your hopper passes on the November trip. Buy the AP now at present price. The one year time limit to use the AP is from when you activate the AP. IE you activate on June 1 2017 the pass will expire 366 days later.

You are not buying a pass now, you are buying a voucher. You turn in the voucher for the pass when you get there. That is when the clock starts.

It was bought as a part of a package, so that helps. I didn't realize I can't make the annual pass a part of the package. At least it gives me more time to decide if it will be worth upgrading.

Have you paid your package off with Disney? Or just a deposit or partial? We are going in December I had a package thru Disney with park hoppers that I had just paid more than the deposit but not all of it. With all the talk of the AP price increase here I called the beginning of Sept and was able to change mine to AP no problem at all. I just had to buy the AP right then in Sept :)

I have only paid part of the package off so far. I will try calling then and seeing if I can change it. Thank you!

Just saw a source on wdwmagic say price changes are going to occur within a week.

Interesting that that specific post made sure to note that there was a very important word missing from their title (that word being "increase"). Could we possibly see a decrease??????? Honestly, I'd be happy if they allowed non-Florida residents to go on a payment plan for the AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter