• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP do you think it would be worth it for us?

MrsJ Henry

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW Nov 15-22. We have old tickets that we are going to use BUT......
We are staying at the AKL for 2 nights and then YC for the last 5.
I don't know if we will be going back within a year from that or not ( although I would like to).
I'm wondering what some of you experts out there think.Will it be worth it to buy an AP?
I know I really have to wait to see what the discounts (if any at that time) will be but does anyone have an opinion ?
What are the disounts like? We already have AAA discounts for both resorts. Total right now we are paying $1891.
Thanks
:)

Yes I would get an AP. The room discounts when they offer them are pretty good. You can use your AP for lunch discounts at Epcot and 10% off at WOD for shopping in DTD. They also offer discounts at RFC, Planet Hollywood.
And then if you luck out and get to go back before the year is over you already have your addmisson :D

I think the rule of thumb is that if you will spend at least 8 days in the parks, the AP makes sense. Room discounts are a great bonus, but you cannot count on them for your specific dates and resort, if at all.

We got APs for the first time this year because all of our trips are 8-9 days, and we intend to get three 8-day trips out of these passes. We booked our rooms at AAA discount (and willing and able to pay that rate), but were hoping for AP discounts. Luckily, I got the infamous email (first time ever), and we were able to save a ton of money.

Yes it would be nice if we could get a general discount. I am hoping.. but I'm also thinking that if AP's come out I may end up buying one if it will save us even more. Also the other little perks are nice too.
I'm sure I will find out soon enough but just wondering what historic discounts have been like. If they do come out what is the usual discount?

Gosh what would I do without all of you. I have gone to WDW 10 times in my life but I'm learning so much on this board!!!!!!:)

I love having Annual passes. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to let you apply the remaining balance of your old tickets to your new annual pass. That way you aren't putting out to much more money. I like going to the parks without having to worry about using a day on our passes, can go in just for a few hours, or the whole day, whatever works for us. If there is any chance you will go within the next 12 months, buy the AP.
Donna

The money I saved on room discounts paid for my AP. I got two rooms at AKL concierge and Poly for six nights and saved hundreds of dollars. I didn't buy the AP until after the discounts came out and I made reservations.

We love our AP's, but I wouldn't make room discounts my sole reason for buying them. Room dicounts are wonderful, but if you have your heart set on one resort, know that it may not be available. There are also small windows of the year where there are no AP discounts.

One thing you could do is simply wait until AP rates are released to decide. If you can book a rate, then stop by the Ocala Welcome Center or one of the theme park front gates BEFORE checking in and get your AP so that you can show it at check-in.

A word of caution about AP's: You may end up at Disney more than you expect. For our first year, we intended to buy AP's at our first trip and return just before the year was up for a second week. We actually made the trip FOUR times that year, staying at cheap hotels to make it work. Now that we are doing a little better financially, we still stay at a cheaper hotel during the trip that we buy the AP's and then stay at a nicer property during the trip that the AP's are already paid for.

Dumb question I know but...how do you get an Annual Pass and do you have to be a FL resident to get it? How much does it cost? Thanks in advance!!

Nicole

Feb. 2005 - WL for honeymoon

Hi. We just bought 4 adult tickets 2 weeks ago and I think they cost about $407 apiece or something. We live in IL, so you definitely don't have to be a FL resident. There are probably other ways too, but I think you can get an annual pass on-line and I know you can get one at the Parks, or, most recently, from the Disney Store. People have also brought up a great point on this thread. It's true that there might be times you cannot get the AP discount (always, always try- usually you can find one if you keep on calling, or try a different hotel), but it can still turn out to be a great deal if you are going back or staying 8 or more days. ::yes::

OK so... for example.
We are staying at AKL for our first two nights and then YC for the last 5. If we see that AP discounts are out could I call, see if I could get these two resorts, and if I can SAY i have an AP and then go get one before we go to WDW to check in? I know we can get them at the DS ( well I guess a voucher i should say)
Will that work?

That is exactly what we did this year. We got the AP rate, then bought our actual APs when we got to FL. They just ask that you be ready to present your passes when you check in to your hotel. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter